A1 v A697

Travelling from wisbech to falkirk today the normal route across A66 was shut due to high wind WTF! So I reset the sat nav to continue straight up the A1 but it routed me along A697 onto A68 upto dalkeith about 30 miles shorter than A1. Apart from coldstream it was a very nice drive does anyone ever use this route and how do you think it compares to A1?

Yes I often do a delivery to Coldstream then carry on up to Tayside area. I quite like going that way its ok in good weather but a bit iffy in winter! Im sure its a bit quicker than going right up the A1 too. Quite a few scameras to look out for but not many trucks use it so very unlucky to find a shopping trolly doing 34!

Never tried it buddy but any excuse to dodge the caravan road i’ll take it :smiley:

Just looked at it on google maps and it does look shorter but is it artic friendly the whole way up to the A68 or is there some dodgy bits ?

I’ll try it next time MrB & report my findings :grimacing:

used to deliver down that way when i worked for johnstones paints, some great roads down there. granted i was in a van :smiley:

yes sometimes use that route when collecting/delivering or if i’m shoving in time but other than that i stick too a1 as there aint much diff time wise

merc0447:
Never tried it buddy but any excuse to dodge the caravan road i’ll take it :smiley:

Just looked at it on google maps and it does look shorter but is it artic friendly the whole way up to the A68 or is there some dodgy bits ?

I’ll try it next time MrB & report my findings :grimacing:

its a cracking road a lot more direct but a bit slower, the only truck unfriendly place was coldstream and that was just cars parking awkwardly.

From Morpeth to Edinburgh I think it is about 20/30 miles shorter than the A1, Everyone i’ve spoken to around here has said same. (I used to taxi in Morpeth also).

Just after passing Morpeth and you join the A697, make sure you stop off at the ‘pie man’ :grimacing: :grimacing: , about 2 miles up, he’s well known around here and doesn’t pack up 'til about 5/6pm, not like some vans at 1/2pm!!

As others said, scameras really don’t start 'til over the border, about every other mile :imp: :imp:

ironic this post,cos we are having the same discussions at our place at the minute about this.on tuesday night i opted to stop in dalkeith rather than run out of time in a layby in the middle of nowhere on the a1.next day i went down the 697,and by the time i reached newcastle i reckon i knocked 20 minutes off the a1 route.some of the other lads have also found this as well.we only use it as an empty running route,for a couple of reasons,but at the morning rush hour,all i could see was green fields and cows.will be using it as much as possible in the forseeable future.we also tip in coldstream citroen,and its a bit of a tight town lol.

The senic route up the 696 through Ponteland then join the 68 nr Otterburn and go all the way to Ed. Couple of small towns to get through but nothing thats going to ruin your day, mind you they are working on a bridge nr Jedbourgh at the moment that may cause a delay.

try this one.
A1, A684 through Leyburn, then M6.

I had a nice drive up into the borders today,

Kelso, Lauder, Galashields, Hawick and Jedburgh, then back down the A68 over the carter bar, only had to use my diff-lock twice :laughing:

Goldfinger:
Just after passing Morpeth and you join the A697, make sure you stop off at the ‘pie man’ :grimacing: :grimacing: , about 2 miles up, he’s well known around here and doesn’t pack up 'til about 5/6pm, not like some vans at 1/2pm!!

oh so thats what DieselDave does in his spare time :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Cruise Control:

Goldfinger:

oh so thats what DieselDave does in his spare time :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for that chaps. :smiley:

That looks like a recommendation from Goldfinger, so it’ll be an added POI on my sat-nav. :wink: :grimacing:

dieseldave:

Cruise Control:

Goldfinger:

Thanks for that chaps. :smiley:

That looks like a recommendation from Goldfinger, so it’ll be an added POI on my sat-nav. :wink: :grimacing:

POI■■?
POINT

OF

INGEST

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

There is also a lorry park in Coldstream for ,turn right at the Esso garage, up the hill then on yr right hand side