A1 transport,leeds

Boatchaser:
Was there a guy called Colin Shepard work for A1, would have been a manager of some sorts , Heard a rumor that when he left CERT he went there , anyone able to help

white hair and beard,was not there very long,but was a nice old guy,but when he came the firm was going down due to you know who the magee ■■■■■■■■■■

Can anyone remember the west indian who drove an ERF for them, the first black man I saw driving an artic, late 70s, early 80s.

Their continental division was called DLA Ltd, [i think thats right], but traded as AOne International.

Also, in those heady days when my MAN was the bees knees at 280 bhp, they had a merc 1632, which used to pass you like you were standing still.

Their trailer park was on southside of the junction, its now a retail park, i was thinking about this company when i came out of Leeds on christmas eve, having tipped at Wortley, they were every where in the old days, F86 on continental work, Italy and back in a F86, we have bigger site shunters now.

Mark R:
Ive also found a photo of an A One F12, reg no DHD 366Y has the name Alec on the front.

Hi Mark,any chance of posting that photo on here,thanks keith

keith 2:

Mark R:
Ive also found a photo of an A One F12, reg no DHD 366Y has the name Alec on the front.

Would that be Alec McKinnon ? A big bloke, a real nice bloke. If I remember he lived just down Gelherd Rd about a quarter of a mile towards the city, opposite another site of A1.

Archie Paice:

keith 2:

Mark R:

Would that be Alec McKinnon ? A big bloke, a real nice bloke. If I remember he lived just down Gelherd Rd about a quarter of a mile towards the city, opposite another site of A1.

Hi Archie,yes you are right,Alec I think got this truck from chris marshell when he left,Jack may tell us,keith

keith 2:

Archie Paice:

keith 2:

Mark R:

Hi Archie,yes you are right,Alec I think got this truck from chris marshell when he left,Jack may tell us,keith

Chris Marshall eh? Another real nice bloke. I wonder what happened to him. The last time I saw him he was in the Office of Chris Brearley, up at Hipperholme. He had had to change his name to Andy, to save confussion of there being two Chris’s in the Office.

Archie Paice:

keith 2:

Archie Paice:

keith 2:

Mark R:

Chris Marshall eh? Another real nice bloke. I wonder what happened to him. The last time I saw him he was in the Office of Chris Brearley, up at Hipperholme. He had had to change his name to Andy, to save confussion of there being two Chris’s in the Office.

I think things changed when he came back to a one and worked in the office,sorry that not for me to say :unamused: keith

keith 2:

Archie Paice:

keith 2:

Archie Paice:

keith 2:

Mark R:

I think things changed when he came back to a one and worked in the office,sorry that not for me to say :unamused: keith

I did’nt know Chris went back to A1. If you do see him, please say Hullo from me. Thank you.

Hi all, do any of you remember george hickson (hicky) and his son who’s name escapes me ? Last time i spoke to his son he was driving for maritime but that was a long time ago. cheers paul

yeah i remember him WHR, somebody reminded me of his name over the summer and i’ve forgotten again now :blush: their international side was DLS (Europe) Limited by the way

I knew it was DL something, you could read it in the back of the cab, on the nearside as they inched past you, unless it was that 1632 Merc, the full company details and post code, you dont see that anymore.

The had a very large advert for back loads in “Headlight”, every month, depots everywhere !!!

Whilst we are on the subject, who remembers “KAMAC TRUCKING”, some of my younger colleagues think I am winding them up. when I talk about this outfit.

The original flash truckers ■■?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: i do remember kamac very well, they were the boys that were at times likely to be in the ditch, southbound by gate 15 on the m6 when i was winging me way north! probly on account they only worked a short shift! :wink:

i also remember the a1 ad in headlight, what was that pallet place in manchester, andersons? the pallets were all shapes and sizes and total bollocked and all over the place a nightmare to get any distance! its a shame they finished the headlight really.

West Hallam Ram:
Whilst we are on the subject, who remembers “KAMAC TRUCKING”, some of my younger colleagues think I am winding them up. when I talk about this outfit.

The original flash truckers ■■?

yep they from skelmersdale i think all volvo F12’s.

Are Kamac still going im sure i see some trucks every now and again on the M6 or is Kamac and Kammac two diferent firms■■?

simon

Kamac went bust big style, late eighties, if I am thinking right.

Kammac are a packing operation with trucks, based in the same area.

Brian Kamel was behind Kamac, not too sure who fronts Kammac, Brian was a colourful geezer, who had “different” business practices, to the rest of us.

They had very flash Volvo F10s with equally smart Curtainsiders, they did a lot of paper products . [bog rolls].

Their days were numbered when they got done for hours offences, they had the “ministry” on their back after that.

Kamac had a batch of standard wheelbase F10 's converted with a pusher axle without extending the chassis, after they closed down Salford Van put them in the spot hire fleet and we occasionally had one, though I never used one myself, Around 87 there was a good number of DAF 2800 types in Kamacs distinctive colours parked up at the back of a Salford Uni building for weeks.

boden:
Kamac had a batch of standard wheelbase F10 's converted with a pusher axle without extending the chassis, after they closed down Salford Van put them in the spot hire fleet and we occasionally had one, though I never used one myself, Around 87 there was a good number of DAF 2800 types in Kamacs distinctive colours parked up at the back of a Salford Uni building for weeks.

Salford Van Hire took quite a hit from Kammac at the time, I think. We looked at some of the equipment in connection with Kellogg work, and I recall that the actual owned assets of the company were rather limited! A few old F88s and perhaps some old DAFs, and certainly none of the new gear or most of the trailers.

I might be wrong, but I think that some of the Kammac people surfaced later with Trans Freight Europa and Allen Munro Transport (neither still with us, of course!)

The re-born Kammac was set up to do packaging/re-packaging and associated transport at various Whitbread sites

i rememeber a good few of them salfod mercs running the kellogs stuff about they werent glamourous like the volvo’s i think they were 1626’s or 1625/28’s i think kamac was running them :question:

keith 2:

Archie Paice:

keith 2:

Mark R:

There is only one Alec Kinnon, yes he is a big guy great to be with, getting older, cant drink as much as he used to, and guess what, he’s driving for!!, dare I say it!!!no I cant but they have a trucking program on TV, so it’s up to you to guess.
But he’s still a great guy to be with,!!!:-Jack

We occasionaly got a 1628 in on spot hire and they were truly a leading contender in the “gutless wonder” category and I could never get the seat right either. We also had a1735 which was excellent and later some 1738’s on long term although limiters were in use by then, though one had only been cut back to 60, which we kept quiet about. I not a big fan of Eco-split but that box has the best spaced ratios I have driven.