A1 transport,leeds

bradfordlad9999:
Scammell Routman | Routman LWB 6x2 with self built sleeper c… | Flickr

Not bad pic’s, also unusual to see so many pic’s without one foreign truck, all British, I had one of those Scamels with the Leyland engine, and it drove like a dream, the only problem was it was as bad on the back as an Atkinson, I think they’d forgot to fit springs before it left the factory, but still nice to see again it brings back memories. :-Jack :laughing:

Hi guys , There is a thread on page 71 on this site showing an A.One Volvo and some of the drivers one of them Is Darky Donald , I havnt seen these pics on the A.One thread . Regards Jeff . PS it is the trans pennine run this Sunday might see you all there .

Can anyone tell me ,is the Ken mallinson transport from Barnsley, the same Ken mallinson(desert rat) who drove for A one back in the 70s??

rocky 7:
Can anyone tell me ,is the Ken mallinson transport from Barnsley, the same Ken mallinson(desert rat) who drove for A one back in the 70s??

I’ve often wondered that myself, I knew Ken very well and we had some good times together especialy going to Hungary, I’ve often seen the lorries with Ken Malinson’s name on them, I wouldnt be surprised if it was his son because he did run his own haulage company out of Duesbury, but Ken and his son had some differences when it came to running transport, I’m glad you asked because I’d like to know myself too. Regards :-Jack.

for the old fitters,anyone knows where terry Bentley lives or works,keith

Hi keith. Last i heard he was living in blackpool! I have him as a facebook friend and will find out for sure :smiley: . Can you remember the surname of barry the 4 wheeler driver at bradford ? Realy nice guy! Think he lived out shipley way. Cheers paul :laughing:

collycoltas:
Hi keith. Last i heard he was living in blackpool! I have him as a facebook friend and will find out for sure :smiley: . Can you remember the surname of barry the 4 wheeler driver at bradford ? Realy nice guy! Think he lived out shipley way. Cheers paul :laughing:

Hi Paul,if its the barry I am thinking of he went on to the boots contract in Bradford,the last year before a one shut he got cancer,can not think of his surname…keep em coming,as jack says keeps the old cells going,keith :wink:

Sounds like the same barry keith! Hope you guys are all keeping well? I’m sat at home bored after an hernia operation,just been trawling through some old commercial motor magazines on the net and spotted an article about DLS drivers being fined for driving hours/rest period issues :open_mouth:

collycoltas:
Sounds like the same barry keith! Hope you guys are all keeping well? I’m sat at home bored after an hernia operation,just been trawling through some old commercial motor magazines on the net and spotted an article about DLS drivers being fined for driving hours/rest period issues :open_mouth:

Hi Paul,i think I remember a bit about that or some think like it ,remember all the dls trucks parked up for a few week but that might have been another problem,jacks the man for this one,was only young myself,keith :wink:

collycoltas:

Shame on you man, reminding the world of DLS drivers being fined for driving hours offences, we were one of the better companies using Europe to further our driving skills, and to show the other countries how we do it in this country, some-times the rules were bent but only a little bit, I can say with all honesty that I was never finned for any driving offence except for a bit of speeding, mostly in Germany, I do remember one year after I’d counted up my speeding finnes in Germany I reckon I’d contributed my share to get a free entry to the poice-mans ball that year, especialy when I was caught on the cat’s back at Limberg one trip even after they’d knocked off the 10% they allowed driving over the limmit, that’s why on that trip I had to drive with only one hand and limp because they took an “arm and a leg” that time, but regarding the article in the magazine I was’nt one of the guy’s who were finned, it must have been the month I was driving like an angel.
Regards :-Jack.

Does anyone know where ian scollick is working these days? regards paul. p.s i didnt mean to offend you jack regarding the dls article :confused:

yea I remember a1 ,i drove for berrys transport an broke down on 62 in 1980 ,there fitters came out dropped loaded flat bed on hard shoulder then they straight barred me back to there yard then i went back with one of there erf’s to pick trailer up wouldent get away with that these days

collycoltas:
Does anyone know where ian scollick is working these days? regards paul. p.s i didnt mean to offend you jack regarding the dls article :confused:

No offence taken, you must’nt be used to my sence of humour, it’s the way I tell them Patrick.■■?:-Jack.
PS:- you had to have a sence of humour to drive into Italy as many times as we did every year, other-wise you’d go nut’s, laughing was compulsory to keep you sane at all times, otherwise you’d come home like a Zombie with some of the agro we had to put up with police and customs some-times, they used to target British lorries because we beat them twice, first in WW1 then in WW2, and they’ve never forgiven us since, but on the whole it was a good job and the pay was better than most firm’s that went over the water, and we didnt have that idiot Magee to worry about when we’d gone for a week or so at a time, but the job had it’s problems with the wives, it cost me 2 wives and 3 houses, but once your hooked your hooked, and it was a better life than working the UK, it’s just the women didnt like it back home. :-Jack

Just spent the last few hours reading through this forum. I used to be a subbie with A-One back in the early nineties. Did my first European driving with them, mostly to Italy. I ran out of the South Mimms depot, but went all over. Not sure if it has been mentioned but there used to be a Newport, S Wales depot and also a Felixstowe depot running mainly containers, if my memory serves me right :confused: I have fond memories working for A One. :smiley:

Whitefox:
Just spent the last few hours reading through this forum. I used to be a subbie with A-One back in the early nineties. Did my first European driving with them, mostly to Italy. I ran out of the South Mimms depot, but went all over. Not sure if it has been mentioned but there used to be a Newport, S Wales depot and also a Felixstowe depot running mainly containers, if my memory serves me right :confused: I have fond memories working for A One. :smiley:

Hi “Whitefox”, well there’s one satisfied customer, my old pub landlord where I live was an ex A1 subbie, he also went over the water for us and he was also another satisfied costomer he had a few drivers working for him.
Regarding Newport and Felixstow depot’s they were only 2 of them, at one time there was 19 offices and depots all over the UK, some were just clearing houses and some had a few lorries, but they all had the A1 name on the door, they were handy when people were looking fror return loads, one thing for sure A1 was a great company to work for because not many drivers left, and not many were sacked except unless they were cought thieving, and even then if you went back after a few weeks usualy you got your job back, and that say’s a lot for the company, the downfall started when Magee bought the firm out, he had no idea of how to run a transport company and the only thing he was interested in was asset stripping, he did it with every company he bought, and eventualy put a hell of a lot of people out of work over a period of time he also left quite a few subbies stranded when he didnt pay them when he went bust, and to put it short he is one of the most hated men in the country, I just hope you got paid for everything you did, in a short time he took one of the best private hauliers in the UK from a good viable trading company with many big contracts to an disgrace and bancrupcy. :-Jack

Do any A1 drivers remember the very well dressed driver who lived eccleshill/undercliffe,bradford area.had a wine glass in his cab.somebody were asking today at undercliffe c/c.could have asked dave jays ,but he wasn’t in today.thanks

BIGGEE:
Do any A1 drivers remember the very well dressed driver who lived eccleshill/undercliffe,bradford area.had a wine glass in his cab.somebody were asking today at undercliffe c/c.could have asked dave jays ,but he wasn’t in today.thanks

That sounds like Jacky Broadbent, he lived in that area when he worked for JG Fielder/ Chapmans/ A One, we were good mates and he was the one driver who could take the lowloader out and come back cleaner than he went out, always smart and a real tidy driver, also he was the only driver I knew who had his own personal “wine bar” in his cab, along with a couple of glasses for visitors to enjoy a tipple with him.
Sadly he died in Bridlington a few years ago, after he lost his licence because of thromboses in his legs, a sad end to a good mate and friend. :- Jack

Jack Graham:

BIGGEE:

That sounds like Jacky Broadbent, he lived in that area when he worked for JG Fielder/ Chapmans/ A One, we were good mates and he was the one driver who could take the lowloader out and come back cleaner than he went out, always smart and a real tidy driver, also he was the only driver I knew who had his own personal “wine bar” in his cab, along with a couple of glasses for visitors to enjoy a tipple with him.
Sadly he died in Bridlington a few years ago, after he lost his licence because of thromboses in his legs, a sad end to a good mate and friend. :- Jack

thanks for your reply,will tell the lads next sunday

I saw a few trucks with wine glass stuck in the sun visors,was better when they came back Saturday morning,lot of free beers going around,first job sunday morning empty the bins,until ■■■■ corner filled them up again on his own :unamused: my first wife banned me from taking them beer cases home after falling down the stairs when i had been out on a bender all day then started on them :blush: still went to work sunday morning black and blue from the fall and her kicking me :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: well that life,work hard play hard,as you get older not as easy,keith :wink:

Was there a guy called Colin Shepard work for A1, would have been a manager of some sorts , Heard a rumor that when he left CERT he went there , anyone able to help