A1 tanker turned over

Hi did any driver see the artic tanker crash on the A1 near junction 55 [scotch corner] on Saturday 23rd of March 2019 around 7.30 pm ,thanks

I came across shortly after it happened. Tanker was facing northbound lay on its right side across most of three lanes. Just the one police car there at the time. A lot of debris to the south of the tanker which I thought odd. A PO decker parked up a few yards down and a number of cars along the shoulder. Looked rather nasty. I crept past as nowt I would be able to do. Lots of police etc heading north toward it. Guess the road shut very shortly afterwards.
Hope everyone was ok.

Was real odd, I was the driver have no clue what happened,only injury was a big gash on my right arm and a skin graft,2 days in hospital,don’t remember a thing,and a miracle no one else involved,but Carnot understand how you can come across 5 lanes of traffic 7.20 at night tip over and not hit anything ,just trying to make sense of it all ,thanks for reply

Glad you are ok!
Did you go over the central barrier? All debris was on the south of the tanker, had me scratching my head. Good it was a quiet evening otherwise carnage. Scary thought.
Always worrying to see a tanker on its side, could be carrying all sorts of nasty stuff.

Stay safe.

Barnaby:
Was real odd, I was the driver have no clue what happened,only injury was a big gash on my right arm and a skin graft,2 days in hospital,don’t remember a thing,and a miracle no one else involved,but Carnot understand how you can come across 5 lanes of traffic 7.20 at night tip over and not hit anything ,just trying to make sense of it all ,thanks for reply

Glad you’re ok, i have in my younger days had times when i don’t remember passing certain junctions on a motorway when doing a 4 hour stint, put it down to what they call micro sleep, scary stuff and made a conscious decision to make sure i get a minimum 7.5 hours sleep every night since having a close call one shift.

Maybe thats what happened to you :question:

mkb600:
Glad you are ok!
Did you go over the central barrier? All debris was on the south of the tanker, had me scratching my head. Good it was a quiet evening otherwise carnage. Scary thought.
Always worrying to see a tanker on its side, could be carrying all sorts of nasty stuff.

Stay safe.

Yes must have tipped over concrete barrier,remember looking at sat nav,1/2 mile to A66,then hearing a Big Bang,boom,like the noise from a firework,then been on my side on the opposite carrageway,no other memory of anything,complete mystery,did you say there was debris at back off tanker? Could you tell what it was? Miracle no one else involved,thanks for reply

RIPPER:

Barnaby:

Glad you’re ok, i have in my younger days had times when i don’t remember passing certain junctions on a motorway when doing a 4 hour stint, put it down to what they call micro sleep, scary stuff and made a conscious decision to make sure i get a minimum 7.5 hours sleep every night since having a close call one shift.

Maybe thats what happened to you :question:

Thanks for reply,at this point I’m struggling to make sense off it all ,cheers

I now think the debris was probably bits off your unit! A fair amount of gravel or rubble and some impressive scrapes in the tarmac. I was more interested in avoiding the parked cars and folk walking about to be honest. I’m definitely glad I stopped for a wee on the 66, would not have enjoyed seeing you coming over that concrete barrier and heading towards me.
Once again, glad you’re safe!

mkb600:
I now think the debris was probably bits off your unit! A fair amount of gravel or rubble and some impressive scrapes in the tarmac. I was more interested in avoiding the parked cars and folk walking about to be honest. I’m definitely glad I stopped for a wee on the 66, would not have enjoyed seeing you coming over that concrete barrier and heading towards me.
Once again, glad you’re safe!

Thanks,proberlely best wee you have ever had,and without a doubt believe my seatbelt saved my life,
Drive safe fella,cheers

Barnaby:
Was real odd, I was the driver have no clue what happened,only injury was a big gash on my right arm and a skin graft,2 days in hospital,don’t remember a thing,

Ah the benefits of concussion amnesia. Much better than being able to relive every second of it in your head.

Main thing is you’re OK, nobody else was hurt and it was only bits of metal that suffered. Put it behind you and move on.