A1 South, Newark

we supply in to dhl newark and its a nightmare the whole roads around that area.

and too many hgv drivers go in the wrong lane to save a few mins wait which doesnt help :open_mouth:

That slip road hasn’t been altered for years (if at all) but the amount of traffic coming off there has gone up ten-fold for various reasons. Mainly RDC traffic/A17 traffic/improved A46 link to Leicester & M1 (excellent road BTW now)…all these put together plus generally busier roads in any case. Surely the slip road needs lengthening and/or widening? Simple surveys/calculations should highlight this problem during planning app’s etc.
Now someone has died - will this alter anything■■?

Been involved in an accident at that junction…Well I saw it develop in front of me, it was obvious what was going to happen.
Ended up with a car facing towards me, fortunately I had left a lot of room…I usually do.
I just wanted to get home for my chicken dinner, so checked the drivers were OK and drove through the debris and off I popped. Lovely chicken dinner it was too. :smiley:

No such thing as a dangerous junction/road etc. Only dangerous drivers, if you fail to make allowances for what may happen, then you fail…Can it get any simpler■■?

I use that junction a lot and see atrocious driving, especially from LGV drivers :frowning:
The roundabout is good entertainment though :sunglasses:

A roads infrastructure that is not fit for purpose now we have too many vehicles using it, the margin for error that existed before has been swallowed up by amount of traffic, just a shame that people are still driving like they used to and expecting others to make allowances for their poor driving…There is no longer any room left to make that allowance…These people need to be informed of this.

Radar19:

dozy:
Too me it’s got nothing too do with junctions is too do with drivers not using there loaf,firstly stick your bloody hazards on too warn approaching traffic of danger ahead,I’ve seen cars just sat there with no hazards or nothing( have they a death wish)
Secondly if when you go round the corner if you move across too the right for lincoln,sleaford there’s enough room for the cars/trucks etc too pass you on the left heading into nwk,but what do they do sit right in the middle so stopping traffic passing left or right :unamused: :unamused:

No, the right lane is for the A17 only. The middle one is for Lincoln A46 North and the left lane is for the A46 South. Get a queue of traffic in the Sleaford lane and it will back up so you can’t get to the other lanes which creates more problems as traffic backs up onto the A1… You try doing that junction in rush hour with traffic coming off the Lincoln A46 end…

Yes you can get too the other lane if the driver going lincoln / sleaford keeps over too the right when he’s come round the corner ,but they don’t they sit right in the bloody middle ,it’s only when you hit the horn/ jestures that some realise ,then when there’s room in front pull over too the right so STOBART trucks can head back into there depot .
I’ve been using this slip road for xxxxxxx years so I know what I’m on about.
But I’ll leave you too it ,I’ll come off s/m and go down past sugar beet factory for a bit of peace. :wink:

dozy:

Radar19:

dozy:
Too me it’s got nothing too do with junctions is too do with drivers not using there loaf,firstly stick your bloody hazards on too warn approaching traffic of danger ahead,I’ve seen cars just sat there with no hazards or nothing( have they a death wish)
Secondly if when you go round the corner if you move across too the right for lincoln,sleaford there’s enough room for the cars/trucks etc too pass you on the left heading into nwk,but what do they do sit right in the middle so stopping traffic passing left or right :unamused: :unamused:

No, the right lane is for the A17 only. The middle one is for Lincoln A46 North and the left lane is for the A46 South. Get a queue of traffic in the Sleaford lane and it will back up so you can’t get to the other lanes which creates more problems as traffic backs up onto the A1… You try doing that junction in rush hour with traffic coming off the Lincoln A46 end…

Yes you can get too the other lane if the driver going lincoln / sleaford keeps over too the right when he’s come round the corner ,but they don’t they sit right in the bloody middle ,it’s only when you hit the horn/ jestures that some realise ,then when there’s room in front pull over too the right so STOBART trucks can head back into there depot .
But I’ll leave you too it ,I’ll come off s/m and go down past sugar beet factory for a bit of peace. :wink:

I never want to be coming off that place in rushhour. If I’m in a van/car or 7.5ton I go straight past to Coddington. If I’m in anything bigger I get off at Retford and take the 57 down to Lincoln.

dozy:
Yes you can get too the other lane if the driver going lincoln / sleaford keeps over too the right when he’s come round the corner ,but they don’t they sit right in the bloody middle…

Like they’re supposed to if going to Lincoln. :unamused:

dozy:

Clearly not. :unamused:

As you come off the A1, it’s one lane. Then it splits into two. Finally, the third lane appears; the lane you want.

Bearing in mind the traffic is usually backed up onto the A1 at peak times, WTF are you actually talking about?

You just answered your question ,it’s ONE lane when you come of the a1 round the corner,but if the cars going too sleaford / lincoln keep to the right you can get passed on the left ,I’ve been doing this day in,day out for years ,8+ last counting :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: last time 23.00 tonight .
Have you never heard of using your loaf ,how do you think ambulances,police cars pass when there’s two lanes of solid traffic on a d/c ,the bloody drivers move to the inside/ outside of the carriageway so the ambulances / cop cars can pass between them :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: ,if the idiots who sit in the middle of the road when you come of a1 kept to the right then stobart trucks could pass them on the left so not backing it up onto the a1 :unamused: :unamused:
N.b try driving the bloody junction instead of sitting on your p.c looking at bloody pictures ,like I do,day in,day out,year in,year out :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: bloody armchair wannabe truck drivers :unamused:

It’s like arguing with a child. :unamused:

Can you not understand that if everyone kept to the right to allow the odd Stobart ■■■■ and a couple of cars through on the left, the queue backed up onto the A1 would be even longer?

Your bizarre idea of making vehicles go in the wrong lane right up until they get to the roundabout doesn’t reduce the volume of traffic, it just stretches it out even longer.

…and while we’re talking about armchair wannabe lorry drivers; you said earlier that you come off at the previous junction and go past the sugar beet factory instead? This further demonstrates your lack of knowledge of the area and experience of driving in it.

If the traffic is backed up onto the A1 at Winthorpe, the other way past the sugar beet factory is always twice as bad and takes twice as long.

Thank you for reinforcing my belief that 95% of Stobart drivers are clueless mongs like the ones on the tele though. :laughing:

Contraflow:
It’s like arguing with a child. :unamused:

Can you not understand that if everyone kept to the right to allow the odd Stobart ■■■■ and a couple of cars through on the left, the queue backed up onto the A1 would be even longer?

Your bizarre idea of making vehicles go in the wrong lane right up until they get to the roundabout doesn’t reduce the volume of traffic, it just stretches it out even longer.

…and while we’re talking about armchair wannabe lorry drivers, you said earlier that you come off at the previous junction and go past the sugar beet factory instead. This further demonstrates your lack of knowledge of the area and experience of driving in it. If the traffic is backed up onto the A1 at Winthorpe, the other way past the sugar beet factory is always twice as bad and takes twice as long.

Thank you for reinforcing my belief that 95% of Stobart drivers are clueless mongs like the ones on the tele though. :laughing:

How would the que be longer :question: if the cars going to sleaford / lincoln moved to the right it would then create another lane realeasing stobart trucks stuck behind the idiot so REDUCING the que onto the a1 :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

have to admit i agree with contraflow on this one, it wont help the situation at all dozy.

the whole junction needs addressing as its just a bottle neck

Popcorn anyone?

dozy:
You just answered your question ,it’s ONE lane when you come of the a1 round the corner,but if the cars going too sleaford / lincoln keep to the right you can get passed on the left ,I’ve been doing this day in,day out for years ,8+ last counting :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: last time 23.00 tonight .
Have you never heard of using your loaf ,how do you think ambulances,police cars pass when there’s two lanes of solid traffic on a d/c ,the bloody drivers move to the inside/ outside of the carriageway so the ambulances / cop cars can pass between them :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: ,if the idiots who sit in the middle of the road when you come of a1 kept to the right then stobart trucks could pass them on the left so not backing it up onto the a1 :unamused: :unamused:
N.b try driving the bloody junction instead of sitting on your p.c looking at bloody pictures ,like I do,day in,day out,year in,year out :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: bloody armchair wannabe truck drivers :roll:

Have you not noticed that Police cars and Ambulances have this strange coloured flashing light on the roof, kinda helps to get other drivers to give them clear passage, try it, it might help, til you get pulled :wink:

You kinda want other to not read the road, quiet literaly, and not drive as the signage specifies, so you can have a clear path, obviously to avoid putting your blue light on :unamused:

war1974:
have to admit i agree with contraflow on this one, it wont help the situation at all dozy.

the whole junction needs addressing as its just a bottle neck

Yep me too :wink:

dozy:
How would the que be longer :question: if the cars going to sleaford / lincoln moved to the right it would then create another lane realeasing stobart trucks stuck behind the idiot so REDUCING the que onto the a1 :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Let’s do some simple maths.

You’ve got a queue of 40 cars split equally across two lanes leading up to a roundabout. The queue is 20 cars long, right?

Now, Dozy comes along and wants to get through, so all 40 cars have to move over into one lane.

How many cars long is the queue now? :unamused:

and as my old maths teachers used to say please show us your working out :open_mouth:

war1974:
and as my old maths teachers used to say please show us your working out :open_mouth:

40/2 = 20

40/1 = all the way up the A1 to the River Trent so Dozy wouldn’t be able to get through anyway. :laughing:

Hi yes i totally agree the A1/A46/A17 junction is awfull i belive it whats called a trumpet interchange ie two lanes loop round then split to form what looks like a trumpet or horn bell if the slip roads were split into motorway on and off ramps it would improve also i did hear that the nwk to licester duel carrageway is going to be extended all the way around nwk (dont know when) . if you have come across the traffic backing up before you can be prepared and be looking out for it no problem. its gonna catch you out otherwise
worst thing i came across there was coming on to A1 south from A46 came around the corner to be met by the sight of a CAR AND CARAVAN doing a three point turn in the middle of the two slip roads if a wagon , 4x4 or anyother vehicle had come off to nwk it would have been a right mess as it was the muppet got away with it. opening the 7.5 restriction at coddington would aliviate traffic going to sleaford on the A17
usual nimby placating restriction as far as im aware

If you have time you can miss most of this ■■■■■■■■ by leaving the A1 at the previous junction - South Muskham - and taking the old A1 into Newark. Pass the lorry park and if you get stopped at the level crossing - so what - it gives you a chance to look at the train going by and the remains of the castle. There’s only one awkward roundabout on the way in. Turn left when you can’t go any further and shortly you arrive at the roundabout in question but as you are entering it from a different angle there is much less hassle.

So does anyone know what the ACTUAL cause of the incident was ?

nick2008:
So does anyone know what the ACTUAL cause of the incident was ?

I believe that some vehicles ran into some other vehicles

There was another accident this morning going northbound. About 30 mile or so north of Newark. Stoberts cab pulling a Tesco double decker with cones all around it. About 40 yards up was a black car with its front smashed in.