A1 N/bound closed

A “large sinkhole” has appeared on the busy A1 western bypass around Newcastle and Gateshead, according to police.

The 5m (10ft) wide and 3m (16ft) deep hole has closed the northbound carriageway on the A1 near the Lobley Hill Interchange.

It was reported by Highways England to police at 23:45 BST on Saturday, Northumbria Police said.

Nobody has been hurt and the void found underneath the road was being filled, the force said.

Diversions are in place while Highways England ensures the area is safe.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-36633416

Blimey. They said the sky would cave in, not the A1. I’d have voted remain :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Of course…

Police are looking into it.

BOOM TISH

A bit embarassing as its on the new 3 lane section which has just opened :blush: :laughing:

chaversdad:
A bit embarassing as its on the new 3 lane section which has just opened :blush: :laughing:

Not fully open but expected to remain closed until Wednesday some good news Tyne Tunnel is free until A1 reopens

Great news! I’ve got Newcastle tomorrow.

Radar19:

Where a bouts & where you coming from

animal:

Radar19:

Where a bouts & where you coming from

City centre, coming from the south. Normally come off just after Team Valley, down Askew road the across the bridge near the Metro Arena. Not sure what I have after it though.

Head A193M follow to end turn left at roundabout follow that road all way will take you across Tyne bridge

Or when you get to end of A184 at the roundabout go right at roundabout stay in right hand lane at 1st set of lights stay right bear right this will take you onto Askew road & across High level bridge

If stuck shout I will be about monday

Here

chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor … n-11527858

Bear in mind the near side lane is restricted to 14’ 9", so use other lane when crossing Tyne Bridge.

animal:
Head A193M follow to end turn left at roundabout follow that road all way will take you across Tyne bridge

Or when you get to end of A184 at the roundabout go right at roundabout stay in right hand lane at 1st set of lights stay right bear right this will take you onto Askew road & across High level bridge

Is high level not for buses only now ■■?

anders66:

animal:

Is high level not for buses only now ■■?

:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: Yes & 1 way only unless on foot :blush: :blush: :blush: or train :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Should have said Redhugh

That’s gonna be fun around Newcastle this morning, glad I’m local MK today. [emoji4]

Jut been on BBC Radio Newcastle, the Tyne tunnel in FREE to use!! (For now. …)

But I didn’t catch the whole info to say if they only meant north bound because of the sinkhole. …

Goldfinger:
Jut been on BBC Radio Newcastle, the Tyne tunnel in FREE to use!! (For now. …)

But I didn’t catch the whole info to say if they only meant north bound because of the sinkhole. …

I came south bound through the tunnel and it was free.

According to the BBC local news the Tyne Tunnel barriers have been lifted both ways and some roadworks on the A19 both North and South of the tunnel have been suspended but did not specify how long this would last. The authorities are hoping to have the A1 fully open by midweek.
Considering the amount of work that has been done (and money spent) on that section of road in the last eighteen months it is hard to believe what has happened. The immediate area is peppered with old pit shafts, some mapped some not and I would of thought the area would have been surveyed during the ongoing works. In about 1970/71 as the road was being built another unmapped shaft was discovered less than a mile further along where the Lobley Hill junction is now. That took about two days and several hundred tons of dolomite to fill and cap off.
Cheers Tyneside

All open again

Tyne Tunnel charges now apply again