A1 grantham speed camera

Franglais:
I guess we could all check our car speedos to see how accurate they are?
Speed apps available for phones. At least we’d know rather than guess.
Just so we can drive up to the wire, on speed limit plus 10% plus 2 or whatever? If we think it’s really worth it that is…

10% +2 is a myth, I got a NIP for 33mph in a 30 zone. I did the speed awareness course and kept a clean licence. This was two years ago, Prudhoe Northumberland. Regards Kev.

kevmac47:

Franglais:
Just so we can drive up to the wire, on speed limit plus 10% plus 2 or whatever? If we think it’s really worth it that is…

10% +2 is a myth, I got a NIP for 33mph in a 30 zone. I did the speed awareness course and kept a clean licence. This was two years ago, Prudhoe Northumberland. Regards Kev.

No. It’s not a myth.
Scroll up to post #13 that I made.

jakethesnake:
I thought the 10% + 2 was was only a guidance and each area has it’s own discretion on whether to follow it or not. In Scotland a few years ago it was never used at all and I believe that still stands.

Drive at speeds believing that and you will get nicked. :laughing:

Correct. It’s ACPO (association of chief police officers) guidance that forces should have that leeway. It’s only guidance though. Problem is too many people seem to view a 70 limit as 80, 60 as 65, 50 as 55 etc because you aren’t going to get done for that margin over the limit. The margin is there for inaccuracies is speedos and momentary human error. Not for people to see the speed limit higher than what it is. For this reason forces have started clamping down more and been less lenient especially with mobile cameras.

To the OP. If you were doing 80mph and didn’t the see the speed camera yourself (that big yellow box on a stick right at the side of the carriageway) then I’d say your observations weren’t good enough to be driving at that speed.

Green Devil:
10% +2 doesn’t seem to work on the A1 at Grantham. I got done three weeks ago in the car by the camera in the temporary 50mph stretch along there. Ticket said 57 mph.

Any particular reason why you chose to go 7mph over a posted speed limit through an area with roadworks and narrow lanes? Does your car not have cruise control? Next time just slow down to 50 before the signs. Put the cruise control on 50 or 52 to account for the speedo over reading. And sit and wait it out. It’s only about 2 miles for crying out loud.

In fact let’s look at a simple speed distance time calculation.

50mph for 2 miles takes 2 minutes 24 seconds
57mph for 2 miles takes 2 minutes 6 seconds
70mph for 2 miles takes 1 minute 42 seconds.

As you can see even if you didn’t slow down at all your not even saving yourself a whole minute of your day. Not worth it is it.

It’s maybe not a myth but it’s a guideline that they don’t have to stick to. Their choice, not the drivers. :wink:

kevmac47:

Franglais:

It’s not a myth it’s a guidance yet too many drivers think that guidance is a green light to drive 5mph over every speed limit then wonder why they’ve been caught speeding.

Thanks all. Basically I’m in limbo for a couple of weeks I guess. Hope for the best but fear the worst!

kevmac47:

Franglais:

It isn’t a myth.
It’s national police chiefs policy guidance.
Most forces apply it…several don’t.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

DickyNick:

Green Devil:
10% +2 doesn’t seem to work on the A1 at Grantham. I got done three weeks ago in the car by the camera in the temporary 50mph stretch along there. Ticket said 57 mph.

Any particular reason why you chose to go 7mph over a posted speed limit through an area with roadworks and narrow lanes? Does your car not have cruise control? Next time just slow down to 50 before the signs. Put the cruise control on 50 or 52 to account for the speedo over reading. And sit and wait it out. It’s only about 2 miles for crying out loud.

As you can see even if you didn’t slow down at all your not even saving yourself a whole minute of your day. Not worth it is it.

Told you the fire and brimstone preachers would be along to show me the error of my ways

I was doing 57mph in a 50 because I didn’t see the sign - probably because I was on the phone and also watching a particularly good bit of a film on my laptop. There you go - enjoy the rest of half term

Green Devil:

DickyNick:

Green Devil:

Told you the fire and brimstone preachers would be along to show me the error of my ways

I was doing 57mph in a 50 because I didn’t see the sign - probably because I was on the phone and also watching a particularly good bit of a film on my laptop. There you go - enjoy the rest of half term

They never fail to disappoint, imagine being stuck in a lift with one or both or more as it switched between personalities.

They never fail to disappoint, imagine being stuck in a lift with one or both or more as it switched between personalities.
[/quote]
It’s the mods I feel sorry for, having to vet Dicky’s drivel before it can be posted. And then having to allow it to be posted because it’s his yuman rites innit

Hmmm, Green Devil a member for a whole 12 days now. Not even got “senior member” stripes yet.

Noremac:
Hmmm, Green Devil a member for a whole 12 days now. Not even got “senior member” stripes yet.

Yes, that is correct

Green Devil:

DickyNick:

Green Devil:

You didn’t see the sign? And then didn’t wonder if the speed limit had changed once you were in narrow lanes with a barrier either side and speed cameras up on yellow sticks? It’s amazing what people dont see whilst driving isn’t it.

DickyNick:

Green Devil:

DickyNick:

Green Devil:

You didn’t see the sign? And then didn’t wonder if the speed limit had changed once you were in narrow lanes with a barrier either side and speed cameras up on yellow sticks? It’s amazing what people dont see whilst driving isn’t it.[/quote

Certainly is ■■■■ this bloke couldn’t see the bend going into LFE Svs

0A38A441-B297-4B07-9F1C-70E2E03C71B0.jpeg

When my car satnav reads 70 my speedo reads 77 and my car is only 5 years old

eric the judge:

A man in your posistion should get that sorted

kevmac47:

Franglais:

^^^^^^ Plus 1
Thames Valley, 33 in a thirty also.

eric the judge:

They can be 10% out on over read
On the flat the satnav will give the true speed

Quinny:
If it is the one northbound in the contraflow, then yes, it is working, as we have had one guy ping it 3 times in a week.

Ken.

Guess he doesn’t drive a Actros…You got no chance hitting 50mph up that hill with one of them. :unamused: