A1 Gateshead, 50mph now being enforced

Though I’d let yous all know, that the 50mph zone along the A1 between Newcastle and Gateshead is now being enforced! :imp:

The camera van’s been parked I’ve seen so far, at the food van layby near the Metrocentre. (Not that you could do 50 along there today. :unamused: )

Also, look on the overhead gantrys, one of our other drivers said they saw some bods putting up ‘other’ cameras.

Thanks for the heads up. I was heading south passing the metro centre today and noticed a couple of fellas in hi viz gear up to something, noticed a thin looking pole with something on top, looked like traffic cameras or are they new sort of speed cameras?

They didnt exactly hide the fact they were going to enforce it, theres no point in speeding on that stretch even if you can, mite be different for the local boys, but i only ever use it when coming back from scotland so not normally in a rush.

They said it would happen if drivers didn’t heed the 50 limit, guess they have been keeping an eye on things. Mind you there are a lot of 20 limit signs going up too around the area, I don’t mind so much doing those speeds but you have to contend with the ■■■■ in a 4x4 with his bumper stuck to your back end as if the limits don’t apply to them, happy days. Franky.

Just adhere to the speed limits = :unamused: they do apply even if there are no cameras you know! I get fed up on single carriageway roads at 40 with wagons behind weaving out to try and make me go faster :imp: If you’re that good pass me :unamused:

Thought I’d post this, just in case you run over 50 down hill at either end (Birtley or Blaydon), without you realising… :confused:

dri-diddly-iver:
Just adhere to the speed limits = :unamused: they do apply even if there are no cameras you know! I get fed up on single carriageway roads at 40 with wagons behind weaving out to try and make me go faster :imp: If you’re that good pass me :unamused:

I kind of respect those who do 40, i do find it annoying if i cant overtake and in a rush but fair play.

20th century laws in a 21st century country??

Saaamon:

dri-diddly-iver:

I kind of respect those who do 40, i do find it annoying if i cant overtake and in a rush but fair play.

I totally agree with that sentiment. If a man is gonna stick rigidly to the speed limit then fair play to him, and tbh if we all did it’d be a better job. I don’t, so I’m not gonna be a hypocrite and say I do.

Speaking of hypocrites, a quick message to the holier than thou brigade, you can’t cherry pick the laws you wanna abide by guys. How come when I’m sat behind a “legal” trucker on an s/c when we get to a d/c I never ever pass them? I speed up to 52 but they’re off on their limiters into the distance, well, right up to the next s/c that is.

Oh, one more thing, if your gonna preach and pontificate to us without our white angel wings, how about pulling over now and again to release the traffic? Or this that a rule you aint too keen on? I keep getting told by the smug type that doing 40 won’t put any time on my day, fair do’s, take it a step further and pull in where safe. It won’t put any time on your day. Xxxxx

I will overtake trucks on sc but if theres loads of traffic following i wont, doing 50 is one thing but if old bill are behind and see you overtake i should think they’d take a pretty dim view of that.

The moaster!!!

If single carriageway goes into double for a period I will stick to 40 and let them pass (I know how it feels to be stuck behind a slower moving vehicle) said before…I got my foot down years ago to keep people behind me happy and got 3 points and £60 fine - never again!

I am considerate and will pull over if a suitable place is available. If heavy and doing my legal limit then only on downhill stretches will I pull off. The extra diesel used to pull away is next years pay rise :wink:

dri-diddly-iver:
The extra diesel used to pull away is next years pay rise :wink:

Yes lol.

have they put end zone signs up yet?

kemperink:
have they put end zone signs up yet?

I think so, they went up the same time as the 50 signs, bit of a bummer when you want to get a bit of momentum up before tackling the Bowes incline, or the hill at the Blaydon end.

I’ve seen many a truck crawling up the Bowes incline at 30mph and nearly get rammed up the arse by a car driver not realising he’s stuggling.

dri-diddly-iver:
If heavy and doing my legal limit then only on downhill stretches will I pull off.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Goldfinger:
Though I’d let yous all know, that the 50mph zone along the A1 between Newcastle and Gateshead is now being enforced! :imp:

i discovered this today, i was flying up the empty inside lane to get another look at a rather tasty bit of totty with a bit more on display than was decent :blush: i clocked the van just in time although tbh i dont think they would bother me for 54mph in a 50

bloody qoute thing hasnt worked again

Id imagine they will be more concerned with cars taking the royal ■■■■ doing 60 odd. At 55 we are still there or there abouts so you would be unlucky to get done. Im not trying to condone speeding or encourage risking it but my sisters fellas a traffic cop and there is an ex-traffic cop who works at our place and both say they wouldnt even bother looking at hgvs on a dual because its enough of a goldmine going for the real speedsters in mercs/beemers etc.