A1 diversion low bridge

So I was on my way to the depot for a 0600 start this morning, going to join the A1 northbound at south elmsall for the m62, turned out it was closed, diversion in place, no dramas. Followed the diversion for 2-3 miles when I saw 'low bridge 15’3 1 mile ahead, diversion still signposted as being straight ahead (so in my mind I thought there must be a left or right turn coming up for the diversion). No turnings, got to the bridge and there were 3 double deckers with hazards on (a few big rdcs at south elmsall), police had arrived, each having to reverse onto a farmers field to turn around. If I had been driving one of those deckers I would have been in the same situation in all honesty.

Surely major diversions like that should cater for all vehicle heights? I’d never seen anything like it before. :neutral_face:

I run at just under 16ft all the time there no way I’d follow some sign post blind on a diversion route.

clarky3013:
So I was on my way to the depot for a 0600 start this morning, going to join the A1 northbound at south elmsall for the m62, turned out it was closed, diversion in place, no dramas. Followed the diversion for 2-3 miles when I saw 'low bridge 15’3 1 mile ahead, diversion still signposted as being straight ahead (so in my mind I thought there must be a left or right turn coming up for the diversion). No turnings, got to the bridge and there were 3 double deckers with hazards on (a few big rdcs at south elmsall), police had arrived, each having to reverse onto a farmers field to turn around. If I had been driving one of those deckers I would have been in the same situation in all honesty.

Surely major diversions like that should cater for all vehicle heights? I’d never seen anything like it before. :neutral_face:

Where is there a 15’3 bridge around there? The obvious diversion route if A1 north is closed between there and Ferrybridge would be the A639 into Ponty but that’s a 14’6 if my memory serves me right. If you want to go north on A1 out of South Elmsall but it’s closed and you’ve got a decker on then turn left out of estate and follow A6201 for Hemsworth, right at the end, follow A628 into Ackworth, left on A638 towards Wakey then hard right at the little island thing after Crofton and follow A645 back east through Sharlston, Featherstone to Ponty, then north out of Ponty up to J32 M62. Make sure you turn right at that island because there’s a 14fter just before Red Beck cafe :astonished: . It’s a bit of a ■■■■ about but that whole area is very trailer unfriendly.

Carl Usher:

clarky3013:

Where is there a 15’3 bridge around there? The obvious diversion route if A1 north is closed between there and Ferrybridge would be the A639 into Ponty but that’s a 14’6 if my memory serves me right. If you want to go north on A1 out of South Elmsall but it’s closed and you’ve got a decker on then turn left out of estate and follow A6201 for Hemsworth, right at the end, follow A628 into Ackworth, left on A638 towards Wakey then hard right at the little island thing after Crofton and follow A645 back east through Sharlston, Featherstone to Ponty, then north out of Ponty up to J32 M62. Make sure you turn right at that island because there’s a 14fter just before Red Beck cafe :astonished: . It’s a bit of a [zb] about but that whole area is very trailer unfriendly.

It is that one your thinking of going into Ponty, I may be mistaken on the 15, but still that’s no height for a decker!

I already posted about that closure, there are 2 diversion routes, 1 for under 14’3" ish and 1 for over 14’3" ish, pulling a double decker had to go long way round, adds about 25 mins to the journey.

Any diversion needs to be suitable for vehicles on the normal route. The low bridge must have had a diversion in place as per normal traffic conditions so some one was blindly following the main closure diversion and not paying attention to the 15’ 3 height limit.

weeto:
I already posted about that closure, there are 2 diversion routes, 1 for under 14’3" ish and 1 for over 14’3" ish, pulling a double decker had to go long way round, adds about 25 mins to the journey.

What was the “official” diversion route for deckers just out of interest?

Carl Usher:

weeto:

Off A1 then left towards sth elmsall, then join A638 then rejoin A639 towards ponty I think it may have forked off towards featherstone and then to ponty, added 20-25 mins on journey.
When you came off A1 there was a sign to tell you which diversion route to take depending on hight, looking at google maps the first bridge on the direct diversion route 14’6", which was obviously ignored by the 3 decker drivers who got stuck.
I certainly won’t be using it again with a loaded decker, M1 to A1 is easier to avoid it.

nick2008:
Any diversion needs to be suitable for vehicles on the normal route. The low bridge must have had a diversion in place as per normal traffic conditions so some one was blindly following the main closure diversion and not paying attention to the 15’ 3 height limit.

The diversion route sign did have 2 route directions depending on height, but looks like some ignored it.

I was in the car and joined the diversion route after the A1 slip road so I didn’t take that much notice, just seems strange to me that 3 deckers would all make the same mistake? There were 2 stuck this morning too :unamused:

clarky3013:
…just seems strange to me that 3 deckers would all make the same mistake?

Probably just following the first one thinking he knows best.

I think that’s something we’ve all done at one time or another. I know I have. Luckily they have always known best though.

weeto:

Carl Usher:

weeto:

Off A1 then left towards sth elmsall, then join A638 then rejoin A639 towards ponty I think it may have forked off towards featherstone and then to ponty, added 20-25 mins on journey.
When you came off A1 there was a sign to tell you which diversion route to take depending on hight, looking at google maps the first bridge on the direct diversion route 14’6", which was obviously ignored by the 3 decker drivers who got stuck.
I certainly won’t be using it again with a loaded decker, M1 to A1 is easier to avoid it.

I started out in Doncaster on Monday morning and only had a short drive North up the A1 back to the yard. Sat nav was trying to take me back towards the M18 but I true style I ignored it. Once on the A1 it tried to send me south? Headed north and hit came across the road closure, I followed the diversion for the decker height+sat nav and god knows where I went but I eventually ended up in ponty and then the M62. Wouldn’t fancy doing it again as I thought some of the roads were unsuitable for LGV’s & Deckers.