A1 caterrick friday

another sad day for our profession, resulting in the death of another hgv driver…
though they will never know.(unless they are t/net members) my sincere condolences go out to the drivers family. apparantly the guy was italian… i say it dont matter where he was from… it could just as easily been one of us in his country… it is still bad news to hear of deaths involving folk in our industry… where ever they are from…no doubt our profession will get another slating in the press… bloody lorry drivers again…
just thought it worth a mention…

A death of a hgv driver whilst at work always hits home, if only for the feeling “there but for the grace of God”.
Any idea what happened, was it due to the high winds today?

apparently the driver had a heart attack, from what i heard

Yepp, you never know when your card’s marked.

Mal.

Listening to the radio this afternoon, it was certainly a bad day for accidents. I think the wind had a lot to do with it.

I drove from Brum to Lutterworth this morning and it was hard work tacking the truck alond the M6 (7.5 ton curtain sider with 0.5 tons on). After I tipped I then had a collection in Lincolnshire so decided to tie the curtains back. (That was fun in the wind and rain and I got soaked) but at least I got there in one piece. Saw quite a few trucks with the curtains tied today.

Calv

sympathies to the drivers family. :cry:

i’v had this arguement with some bosses b4, when will they ground vehicles :question: the answer when advised to by police.can they not look at the weather report or listen to the news on radio. they keep saying the customer needs his frt, yes thats right but at what cost another drivers life. some cost to pay.then they have the expence to recover unit and trl that has blowen over, then the cost for repairs if repairable.now boss tell me that it was worth it. :wink:

This is one of the problems, other industries have regulations in place were they must stop work if the winds get over a certain speed. We would all be very impressed if a pilot came over the radio and said the winds over recommended levels for take off, but the boss has told me that you lot must get to your destination. The Police were critising drivers of high sided vehicle at one point last year, but until they have or use the power to stop the vehicles moving then they will keep moving and damm the consequences.

Thats the truth of it Muckles, nobody gives a ■■■■.

Mal.

is it wise to tie curtains back?
if the wind got under your trailer roof it could take you with it?

regards
paul

flatbedman:
is it wise to tie curtains back?
if the wind got under your trailer roof it could take you with it?

regards
paul

I always thought it not good practise to tie curtains back as they are part of the strength of the trailer. I have also heard that insurance company’s frown on it

jimti

a reasonable point, but…I saw a lot of artics with their curtains tied back on my way back down south this morning, they all seemed to be more stable than the box bodies and fastened curtainsiders. They were certainly more stable than the POS iveco 7.5 I was driving.

Jules

from what i heard he fell asleep at the wheel