A Whole new meaning to the words crash box

i dont know if this is of any interest but it has a few links to posts already out there, ie: old trucks and the need for training.

A few years ago i used to drive a 7.5 tonner delivering farm buildings, and the firm i worked for bought an old bedford tk, with a crane on its back so that i could put the buildings up after i had dropped them off the 7.5.

My boss told me that the crane was at a place called sparrow pit just past buxton, and i should take one of the vans and go and get used to it, he said go and play with it pick up the farmers tractor etc cos the building is going out tomorrow, so off i go and find the crane, i spend all day getting used to the thing picking up this and that.

not the way to learn but i did it and put the building up and all went great,
then came the end of the job and i went out with the subbies so that i could drive the crane back, allthough it would be hgv if it were a lorry because it had the crane on its back it came under plant, so anyone could drive it, i was realy looking forward to it because of its size, it made my terrier look small.
i climbed into the beast and set off this was the first time i had moved the thing and after the terrier the gears were a pain having to double each one and hope.

the journey was uneventfull untill i came to ashbourne, as i crested the hill after a lifetime climbing it, i was about to change up when a car pulled out in front of me, i went to check it on the brakes o dear i thought as the pedal went to the floor(thats not really what i thought) frantically i started to (panic) pump the brakes nothing, hand brake nothing oh sugar, all this time i was picking up speed and rolling down the hill, i had to drop a cog or two but i had been very bad with the double at anything but the right revs, after all this was my first go in a crash box, i knew if i missed it that would be the end of me talk about pressure, well here goes and with that i attempted it and although it made a din it went in and the engine protested the rev rise i started to slow took my foot off the gas and roared down the hill.

thanks god thanks dad thanks gearbox i said out loud, the truck was slowing well even though the head was about to come off this only took a short time although it seemed longer, i was rolling to the bottom ok i thought i even had time to think where i could get some clean underwear from then a dipstick in a car pulled out from the kerb and waving to the person he had just droped off he came across the rd oh no all that for nowt the horn was the only thing i had to help so he got it and his pace was enough that we passed within a coat of paint by now i was at the give way at the bottom and god realy was with me people on the crossing stopped oncoming trafic round the bend in one and along the kerb to loose the last dregs of speed and she juddered to a stop i ran it into the kerb jumped out ran round the front and pulled the stop bar yes it stuck through the grill thats why i could not kill the engine.

i am sure that there is a god who looks after the brave and the foolish and im not brave, the truck went off on a huge breakdown and i did a lot of miles in her before she went to that breakers yard in the sky.

Cool thread, what can I say! :open_mouth:

all that can be said is i was lucky, and you would think i went on to be an expert at double-de-clutch driver :question: not a bit of it i missed more than i got :open_mouth:

A few years ago I worked with someone who thought it was funny to tell the newly licenced agency driver that if you knock her into neutral, it saves fuel on the down hill bits & earns you more. This was in a cafe just before a hill from hell, we got to the top, but only just & my last sight of formentioned agency driver was on the down hill section going very, very fast.
When we found him some distance from the bottom of hill he was looking pale & smelling almost as bad as his brakes.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing:
Whats that smell

Now Dafman, be good :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

alan:
A few years ago I worked with someone who thought it was funny to tell the newly licenced agency driver that if you knock her into neutral, it saves fuel on the down hill bits & earns you more. This was in a cafe just before a hill from hell, we got to the top, but only just & my last sight of formentioned agency driver was on the down hill section going very, very fast.
]

Ah, that’d be Scotsmans’ overdrive again then? :laughing: