A week out and about

Well due to my attitude problem in OConnors looks like i’ve seen the last of it. Shame really because apart from the two head gaffers lack of man management skills and lack of WTD knowledge it is a good company and they certainley do know about moving containers. Excellent kit.

And the yard layout is excellent to. Really straight forward, safe and they turn you around like clockwork.No hassles.

The rest of the people there are quite helpful and friendy and most seem to like their job. Here’s the yard guy extolling the virtues of his new diesel pump (he fills the trucks up), “it’s a cracker, 300 litres in about 4 minutes”. Riveting stuff. Oh to be so keen over your job !!

Regarding van drivers,delivery crews doing long days and not taking breaks well they are not all like that. I spot this guy from britishchesterfield.co.uk pulling into Knutsford services for a break about 1.30pm. He knows how to relax, can of cider in one hand and a big spliff in his mouth while he has a leak!

My ride for Friday was this

To do some general collection and delivery stuff. I’ve removed the companys logos so its not instantly recognisable. Jumping into the cab i get a bit of a shock.

The coke can, coffee cup and broken fone bracket is nothing to do with me, nor is the crap on the floor and in the door pockets.

A look in the coffee cup might explain why this coming smoking ban might be a good thing.

Its been a while since i done any hand ball and although it was only light stuff, aluminium strips, plastic strips and sheets for conservatories the constant bendind and twisting has now left me with a sore back!

A glance up in the cab reveals a load of tachos.

Now i know with all the changes in legislation it can be confusing as to how long you need to keep them. 15 working days or now 28 days or is that 28 working days, i get mixed up myself. I like this guys take on it though.Just keep the last four months !!

And finally here’s one for the ‘must get past at all costs brigade’. I had been following this guy out of St.Helens anlong the A570, he had to swing wide to get round the roundabouts and he was quite slow. I was heavily laden and would not pass him quick so i decide to hang on behind as its only a couple of miles to the motorway junction. Another artic was hanging on behind me, when i spotted a numpty B+Q rigid driver come hurtling up as we approached the roundabout, i knew he wasn’t going to wait so grabbed my camera.

The guy pulling the excavator actually has a blue cab and thats the B+Q truck shot straight out onto the round about causing the excavator to slam on and sound his horn like mad. Personally, i wouldn’t of used the horn, nor would i of used my brake pedal. I would of prefered the B+Q truck to try and explain how he got to be on his side!!! My only critiscism of the guy pulling the excavator is that i think he should of straddled the carriageway a bit to prevent anything big coming round him, makes you wonder what was going through the B+Q truck drivers head though?

Great stuff Mike.

I like your diaries. I know they take a while to put together but they are worth it.

300 litres in 4 minutes, eh? Bragger!! :laughing:

Nice one Mike, I look forward to your diaries.

Mike-C:

:open_mouth: So much :laughing: :laughing:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Class as usual Mike :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

When I saw all those tachos I thought you’d been back in PDL for a week :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

It didn’t click before but I’ve been to O’conners they kicked me out for not having a hard hat. Told me to go and buy one. Luckily one of our drivers was hving his 45 just out side the gates so I borrowed his.
Once I had the hat no problem very friendly and a quick turn around I was in and out in no time.

from the rumours ive heard when they were going they wouldnt have been any in the cab to start with :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I will never forget the time I waited in their yard for 3 hours until someone came on shift who was__…qualified to unplug a reefer!!!__

I was taught how to do that by my then TM - he stuck his head out of the office window and shouted “Yank that plug out on your way past, lass!”…Took about 20 seconds, including walking over to the box… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

300 litres in 4 minutes, eh? Bragger!!
not in mine its not.
blasted thing got an anti syphon grid halfway done neck - 300 ltrs in TEN mins on slow setting.

joys of an angency driver,getting in unkept trucks…ehh Mike

Cheers Mike I always love reading your posts, and the humour!

Good stuff, ver interesting. Seeing that can of coke reminded me. A few years ago, had a week off and came back to find the bloke driving my motor had spilt a can of coke all over the engine hump and not cleaned it up. He’d also left the windows open in the quarry (every day by the look of it) and there was a sticky ‘paste’ that took ages to clean up. Mind you, I shouldn’t have been surprised I’d taken his wagon out a few weeks before and there were USED tissues scattered all over the cab. Nice. :open_mouth:

excellent posts mate as always
looks like the agency double shafted you though, not only is the motor in a state but its also an atego to make it worse, :laughing: spent a week on the road in one of them when my motor was off the road (got side swiped by one of 3663’s trailer) was away all week was glad to see the back of it. went back to salford van hire in a better state then what i picked it up in.