A very odd "shift pattern"....legally is it ok?

Someone I know has been to asked to do the following…
Friday DAY SHIFT
Saturday NIGHT SHIFT
Now I fully understand there is/would be sufficient rest between the two but in theory of your finishing at say 4pm Friday,assumingly as any normal person does they will sleep Friday night but if that’s the case then obviously they will be awake all day sat and expected to then work/drive a night shift starting @ 8pm on the Saturday till around 9am Sunday morning.

Legal/illegal or just not very much thought given to drivers rest needs?

If you’re having your weekly rest between shifts then you only need 24 hours off!
As long as he never reduced last weekly rest period?

tango boy:
If you’re having your weekly rest between shifts then you only need 24 hours off!

What stands out to me though is being asked to go from a day shift to a night shift over a short period of time.

Better than a night shift to day shift

It’s all ■■■■■■■■ because if you do take only 24 hours off it automatically changes you
from days to nights or vice versa.

axletramp:
It’s all ■■■■■■■■ because if you do take only 24 hours off it automatically changes you
from days to nights or vice versa.

So whats the problem, just do a week of nights then

Its only two shifts ,so whats the problem?

I don’t have a problem; I just do Mon - Fri days only and home every night! :wink:
And I’ve got me “own” motor which normally stays in the yard when I’m on holiday. :smiley:

ckm1981:
Friday DAY SHIFT
Saturday NIGHT SHIFT
Now I fully understand there is/would be sufficient rest between the two but in theory of your finishing at say 4pm Friday,assumingly as any normal person does they will sleep Friday night but if that’s the case then obviously they will be awake all day sat and expected to then work/drive a night shift starting @ 8pm on the Saturday till around 9am Sunday morning.

As mentioned as long as he’s having at least 24 hrs off after Fridays shift then no problem but obviously couldn’t do every week. Some might think it’s a bit odd but gives you a lay in Saturday morning and roads will be dead Saturday night and a few hours sleep Sunday morning get up and enjoy the rest of Sunday.

I could easily be wrong but it sounds like typical agency ■■■■■ shifts to me.

axletramp:
I could easily be wrong but it sounds like typical agency [zb] shifts to me.

Not really, my company runs abnormal loads into London. We had a job on last night (saturday night). So our driver finished 5pm friday and was back in 6 pm Saturday. And NO he isnt agency! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Some people can do this sort of shift but many cannot so it is up to each individual driver to determine if they will be sufficiently rested with enough sleep to drive safely

It would be a very legally foolish company which brought a driver to task if they were informed by the driver that they would not be safe to drive

ckm1981:
Friday DAY SHIFT
Saturday NIGHT SHIFT

If you think that shift is a problem don’t go anywhere near fridge work :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink:

Don`t see the problem providing the required rest period is taken.
No different to being off all w/end and starting nights on Monday or when ever your weeks shift starts,your still up and about after being in bed the night before

msgyorkie:

axletramp:
I could easily be wrong but it sounds like typical agency [zb] shifts to me.

Not really, my company runs abnormal loads into London. We had a job on last night (saturday night). So our driver finished 5pm friday and was back in 6 pm Saturday. And NO he isnt agency! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Ok, fair enough!

lolipop:
Don`t see the problem providing the required rest period is taken.
No different to being off all w/end and starting nights on Monday or when ever your weeks shift starts,your still up and about after being in bed the night before

Being off all weekend is very different from being off 24 hours as it gives days to shift the sleep pattern