I have found this SITE; IT LOOKS INTRESTING;however, my knowledge
about the USA,aussie rules is Zilch, can any of those DO know, please
have a good read and see if it is a pearl of a site or a bloody dogs ear,
ALSO can those who live and work either USA or Canada, please
post perhaps sites that will help the driver who wishes to work
across the water to learn, the rules ,etc as it would help these guys and girls
no end, ME i am too old, which is a pity, wish I had thought Canada,
35years ago,

No time to read the whole thing Pete but they may well still call drivers truckies in Oz but a ‘ute’ is a pickup truck (utility), hardly the sort of driver with which such a site would concern itself. :wink: :slight_smile:

I was a pensioner the second time I went to the States to drive the big rigs. Only ill health has stopped me from doing it to this day.

I find some of it usefull and some of it crap !
I live in the USA … The classes seem confusing ro say the least ? I have a class A CDL and I can if I wish have a hazmat endorsement, the way he has worded it you need class C for that !

The rest … weights etc are just what anyone who takes a test here and drives will know in order to drive :exclamation:

The term ‘Teamster’ refers to a ‘Union member’ in the transport sector, as a non union member no body would refer to me as a teamster.

The hours of service bit is garbage :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: … Most company’s run as bent as nine bob notes :smiley: Then some run totally legal (mine uses elogs) the bad company’s undercut the legal ones by running round the clock and taking work from the legal ones… Time is running out for those though as elogs will be federal law by the end of 2010.

The CB radio bit is a load of ■■■■■■■■ :smiley: … Drivers who are not idiots don’t use all that lingo crap … its a joke :smiley: If I am on the CB and hear a driver talking like that I just turn the squelch up or turn it off. Who ever wrote this watches too many smokey and the bandit movies.

In the section refering to US trucking companies … all those listed are renound for very poor pay and conditions, they seem to be the brunt of every drivers jokes.

Who ever wrote this was either bored with nothing to do or is very sad :smiley: … The fact remains that no company in the USA can offer any British driver a job unless they have a green card first. they can advertase all they want and driver can apply all they want, it makes no difference :exclamation:

You ain’t going to get a job in the USA :exclamation:

So in real terms … no ! it’s not a helpfull site. It seems someone hjas just read most of the terms etc and posted them, you could all have read them on any DOT site.

Too true Pat,
Even the Aussie companies listed are the wost-if a job,company is so good-why advertise week after week?
Take the rose glasses off everyone.

Hello and thanks for the replys , you have put across
the critic excellently, now is there any chance of
people starting to put some sites or links out for those
who wish to be better informened,as regards liveing
and working, abroad,be it USA ;;CANADA; or any where else
yes you who are well settled in your knowledge and expierence
is being asked for,just like people are showing the new ones
who start up as driver in the UK,AS we who are not liveing say
in the USA; etc etc, will not all ways be able to sort the
wheat from the chaff, and this is where YOU people
can help those in need,■■?

Most of the big trucking firms in the US pay about the same, it may not be great but it is a place to start and get expierece that you will need to move on to a better job. A lot of them have dedicated accounts, regional, local and the ever popular run all over the USA and CA so there may be something there that one can live wlth for a while. :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Remy … You forget I know who you work for :laughing:
Your company pays about 50% more than most regular trucking companies, much the same as mine does :laughing:
J B Hunt for instance have dedecated trucks on your company that do work a lot harder than you do and the drivers get paid a lot less, much the same as there are tanker firms here that do the same work as mine does for crap money and they also run ilegally.

I’m not saying Hunt run ilegally because I know they don’t … but they treat drivers like dirt. and pay them dirt to go with it.

Both you and I are spoiled, we are employed by good companies that pay decent wages and have good working comditions, but they are a very small percentage of the industry.

I always thought that J B Hunt used to pay 41 cents per mile, which is pretty good IMO.

Seeing as the amount of overwhelming post of
helpful sites has been Zero or there abouts , lets see#
if this is of any use to some one out there.
LINK
and now the next LINK-2

Colonel:
I always thought that J B Hunt used to pay 41 cents per mile, which is pretty good IMO.

Wrong ! … “Up to 41c a mile” is what they offer, that means you need to be fully experienced over quite a few years. and from a few drivers I know who have left J B Hunt if you are getting a higher milage pay they keep you sitting around for days making hardly any pay.
I know a guy from Ohio who left because after spending days waiting a truckstops for loads… without pay :frowning: He averaged $250 a week.

that is ■■■■ money :angry:

Pat Hasler:

Colonel:

Wrong ! … “Up to 41c a mile” is what they offer, that means you need to be fully experienced over quite a few years. and from a few drivers I know who have left J B Hunt if you are getting a higher milage pay they keep you sitting around for days making hardly any pay.
I know a guy from Ohio who left because after spending days waiting a truckstops for loads… without pay :frowning: He averaged $250 a week.

that is [zb] money :angry:

I agree with you there Pat, 41 cents per mile looks good on paper but on general haulge there’s all the other stuff you do that you don’t get paid for or very little, loading/unloading, wait time, breakdowns etc, this was tough for me to get used to as i was allways paid by the hour in the UK :confused:
I know a driver that used to drive for Schnieder National that got plenty of miles when he started at the lower rate, every year his rate increased till, i think he’d been there four years, he got top rate of pay :smiley: Then he was complaining his miles went down :cry:

Remy, I have worked inthe USA twice, omnce with Rocor Transportation in Oklahoma City on 23 cents a mile and then At Pullen Bros, Missouri on 26 cents a mile. I used to see the big sign on the 40 as one passed the J.B.Hunt depot at Little Rock, AK and they paid this 41 cents then, 2001.

I know one on,y gets paid when running, all loading and unloading is time one gives to the company for nothing. If paid by the hour in the USA then the companies would be in queer street. One could always unload yourself and take the lumper money, if you felt like it.

I managed to get sufficient miles even at the poor rate I was getting, but then I did not go out there to earn money, just for the pleasure of doing the job. I loved it.

Colonel:
Remy, I have worked inthe USA twice, omnce with Rocor Transportation in Oklahoma City on 23 cents a mile and then At Pullen Bros, Missouri on 26 cents a mile. I used to see the big sign on the 40 as one passed the J.B.Hunt depot at Little Rock, AK and they paid this 41 cents then, 2001.

I know one on,y gets paid when running, all loading and unloading is time one gives to the company for nothing. If paid by the hour in the USA then the companies would be in queer street. One could always unload yourself and take the lumper money, if you felt like it.

I managed to get sufficient miles even at the poor rate I was getting, but then I did not go out there to earn money, just for the pleasure of doing the job. I loved it.

J B HUNT are one of the worst company’s in the entire USA FFS :exclamation:

They pay total ■■■■ and treat their drivers like crap :exclamation: , you can always work for them pulling a trailer from Remy’s company for 50% less pay if you want :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

They once phoned me offering me work driving at one of his company terminals “How would you like to drive for ****** ?” the man said.
“Do you mean for that company or for J B Hunt ?” I asked.
“What’s the difference ?” asked the man.
“About 30k I said” :laughing:

I was only quoting what I saw, I have never worked for them and uless you have then your views on them are really not relevant. I have spoken to many of their drivers at Little Rock and they all seemed pretty happy.

All I do know, is that your earnings are governed by your dispatcher, and if he is not working for you, then you don’t earn. Simple as that.

Having said that I loved the job there, only wish I could have made the job permanent, but green cards were impossible when I tried to get one.

I don’t know why it is but nearly all the J B Hunt drivers or Swift drivers come to that … seem to be total idiots :question:

I see them do the stupidest things and sometimes it seems they do stupid things on purpose :laughing: .I have seen them aproaching constrution on I-78 in PA with huge signs saying ‘NO TRUCKS IN LEFT LANE’ this was because the lanes split into a contraflow, and they just drive right straight into the left lane :question:
I have seen two trucks pulled by cops in that section … A Swift and a J B Hunt sitting together :laughing:
I saw a woman J B Hunt driver once who spent half an hour trying to close the doors on a trailer, before I went to see what she was doing, … “How long have you been driving ?” I asked.
“3 Years” she said.
“And in 3 years how many trailers have you seen with the left door closing over the right?” :laughing:

I see them lined up at ‘CARS ONLY’ toll booths often :laughing: