A tyre/vosa question

i checked my tyres this morning and all appeared well. i’ve been checking them quite a bit lately, as the lift axle tyres were getting prety low, it was just a case of getting time to run it in and get them changed within the next month or so.
anyway i was having a look round when i was being tipped and one of the tyres was much worse after a couple of hours driving than it was when i first checked it. there was a piece missing and there was wire stuck out. well, at least i was being tipped, so i could lift it, then run it in to a tyre company and get it sorted, which i did.
but what would vosa have done? the tyre was very much illegal by this stage. but if i was stopped when i was empty, therefore the tyre would not have been in contact with the ground. would vosa still have prosecuted me for having a defective tyre?

yerr vosa would have somthing to say as its on the vehicle i think, but then what would they say if it was flat and on a mid-lift ? done tha before today :grimacing:

phil check ya pm’s mate !

It would def attract a prohibition loaded or not as its available for use. Not sure on the prosecution, but good chance. Is it steered?

mark h:
yerr vosa would have somthing to say as its on the vehicle i think, but then what would they say if it was flat and on a mid-lift ? done tha before today :grimacing:

tried sending one back, but the laptop was going really slow, so i gave up. i think it could have been a daf that you saw. 2 out with trailers, one unit at about 7.20, then me about 8ish, unit only.

limeyphil:

mark h:

tried sending one back, but the laptop was going really slow, so i gave up. i think it could have been a daf that you saw. 2 out with trailers, one unit at about 7.20, then me about 8ish, unit only.

was defo a MAN although i did see the daf in the dock, so must have just missed ya !!

mark h:

limeyphil:

mark h:

was defo a MAN although i did see the daf in the dock, so must have just missed ya !!

it was me in the man,
with new shiny tyres.

limeyphil:

mark h:

limeyphil:

mark h:

it was me in the man,
with new shiny tyres.

as i came through the barrier you was 1 behind the exit gate ! so must have been ya !! wil wave next time

I always kick up a stink and make the garages life hell when my tyres get to around 3mm. Any lower than that then I’m not happy. Better safe than sorry, doesn’t take long for a wee flat spot to appear and ruin your day if vosa stop you

limeyphil:
… so i could lift it, then run it in to a tyre company and get it sorted, which i did.
but what would vosa have done? the tyre was very much illegal by this stage. but if i was stopped when i was empty, therefore the tyre would not have been in contact with the ground. would vosa still have prosecuted me for having a defective tyre?

If you were going directly to the tyre repair place and could prove it (phone call already made to tyre place to get it booked in) then I cannot see what VOSA or the police could charge you with as long as it is not deemed as dangerous - such as rubber peeling off the tyre onto the public highway.

yes yes yes yes they are vosa,lets not forget this ,we must all go to church and sing there praise’s,for they are GOD :smiley: .you could make a film lets think"the life of" the holy grail,no sorry can’t have that one as it would fail,due to the holy part.anyway at test station last week and asked to raise air bags on trailer,then it failed on corrosion around the bottom of the bells where they join :exclamation: who else has been asked to do this :question: or should i just bend over and drop and take it like a man :blush: :open_mouth:

flapper:
yes yes yes yes they are vosa,lets not forget this ,we must all go to church and sing there praise’s,for they are GOD :smiley: .you could make a film lets think"the life of" the holy grail,no sorry can’t have that one as it would fail,due to the holy part.anyway at test station last week and asked to raise air bags on trailer,then it failed on corrosion around the bottom of the bells where they join :exclamation: who else has been asked to do this :question: or should i just bend over and drop and take it like a man :blush: :open_mouth:

your trailer must have been a pos

ROG:

limeyphil:
… so i could lift it, then run it in to a tyre company and get it sorted, which i did.

If you were going directly to the tyre repair place and could prove it (phone call already made to tyre place to get it booked in) then I cannot see what VOSA or the police could charge you with as long as it is not deemed as dangerous - such as rubber peeling off the tyre onto the public highway.

Not even in the good old days!
It would be: ‘I’m very sorry driver…
I fully understand driver…
Have a PG9 and 3 penalty faults driver’

Unless you are extremely luck. I once was a lot of years ago, got stopped on my way back to the tyre fitters with a defective rear tyre. Luckily it was a particularly pretty WPC who pulled me in and MR VOSA seemed ,more interested in her, than my Truck :smiley:
On another occasion though, I was checking my wheel nuts whilst waiting to stop when one snapped. I cancelled my back load, and set away home slowly, got pulled on the way home, explained to Mr VOSA was on my way back to garage. He went right through the truck and trailer, couldn’t find anything, so GV9d me for the wheel nut.
That was nearly 20 years ago too :frowning:

Maybe geebee45 will give us his take on this - he is the EXPERT :smiley:

if the tyre is a lifting type and as long as its lifted and you have a pre booked tyre at a depot vosa will check and if all ok will allow you to continue but they will likely follow you…if its a tyre in contact with the road you will likely get a pg9 and told get a mobile fitter out to change the tyre…but in all honestly most drivers will just drive it to the tyre place anyway and deny all knowledge of any damage as unless the cords are rusty then its immpossible to prove it hasnt happened earlier in the day or just 1 minute ago… A bulge will get you a pg9 even on a lifting axle as its at high risk of a side wall blow out(but let the air out and you might get away with it…)

I think it would depend on which type of VOSA person stopped you.
The human type would understand your predicament and send you on your way,whilst the robot type would gleefully write you a ticket.

The rules,regarding lights, do now state that ANY light fitted to the vehicle must be operable,whether lawfully required or not.
Therefore,would the same apply to tyres?
Whether the lift axle was needed to be in touch with the road or not (depending on GVW at the time),do the tyres fitted to the axle have to be legal.