A twist in the tail?

smithy39:
As this is not an uncommon occurence and given the trouble it causes when drivers are misfortunate enough to take the same route I think the least the company could do is put a sign up by the width restriction pointing out that HGVs actually have to take that road for them. :unamused:

Cracking read though MikeC :exclamation:

Absolutely boils my blood that these companies don’t do this. It’s the companies that you’re trying to get to that should be fined, not the driver.

Place I was trying to get to the other day has 10 artic loads a day in to a road that says “Unsuitable for heavy goods vehicles” but if you don’t go down there, you get stuck… Ankers.

It seems as though it is all in hand. :smiley:

HVAF.JPG

bet your well pleased this has been dug up up again mike :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

jessicas dad:
bet your well pleased this has been dug up up again mike :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

I sent him a PM and asked hi to reply to it for me :grimacing: :grimacing:

That was a good read i realise it was on old post but have not seen it before, i have had a few moments like that trying to find various remote utilites / yorkshire water sites around holmfirth and hebden bridge/heptonstall , i know exactly the knotted feeling in the stomach when you think you cannot get in or out of tight lanes or gates to farmers fields and told to ignore width and height restrictions , i now park up in lay bys and walk it all through before i attempt anything like that now, even if its 1/2 mile around narrow lanes. Fair play for putting that thread up mike.

Mike-C:

jessicas dad:

I sent him a PM and asked hi to reply to it for me :grimacing: :grimacing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You’re welcome :smiley:

If you weren’t taking pictures while driving, maybe you wouldn’t have got yourself in such a pickle. Just a thought.

Try not to think too much,there’s a good chap.

Sorry to resurrect a 7 year old thread but I went to this place today with a container having found this thread last night - very useful!!

I haven’t been that twitchy driving for a while, how they get away with having artics go up and down that road i’ll never know. :open_mouth: Apart from a close shave with a cone on the narrow bend over the bridge accross the stream, no hiccups! :sunglasses:

They have however changed the width restriction sign to ‘Except for Access’ now. There is also a layby just before the village you have to park up in and phone the place for permission to proceed. Looks like the locals actually managed to knock their heads together and find a solution to help drivers. :open_mouth:

blimey :open_mouth: just looked on google maps how far up that road it is :exclamation: looks like they have put signs up now,why have a factory up there :unamused:

Talking of stupid places anyone delivered to j.m.pratts in sedbergh,ring b4 you go down the lane :wink:

comet:
Talking of stupid places anyone delivered to j.m.pratts in sedbergh,ring b4 you go down the lane :wink:

YES! That one is scary. You are pretty much screwed if you meet anything… Isn’t it a relief the first time to find such a big yard at the end of it though!

comet:

That’ll be the one where you phone them while you’re parked at the cemetery, and then you turn right thinking WTF?, down a lane you’d be wary of takin your car down?

the maoster:

comet:

That’ll be the one where you phone them while you’re parked at the cemetery, and then you turn right thinking WTF?, down a lane you’d be wary of takin your car down?

Yep that’s the one ! your trailer gets a bit close to the cottage’s on the bend :open_mouth:

I got sent there 2nd day on my own after just passing my class 1! Was a baptism of fire for sure!

Is that factory still at New Mills just off Redhouse Lane which Crabtrees pulled out of? It was the other side of a bridge which was about 12 foot 6 inch and you could spit out of your window off the A6 and hit the factory :laughing:
You had to drive through New Mills then turn left between some terraced houses with cars parked both sides and go down a single track lane which the hit a 180 degree bend on a hill where if you had weight on and it was wet you could hardly get up the lane then went up to a about 3 tight bends where cars could tear arse around to meet you coming the other way other a narrow bridge on one of the bends where the bottom of your trailer would go over the top of the stonework :blush: this lane was about nearly a mile long and if the low bridge wasn’t there it would be a quick turn off the A6, about 20 yard drive down the hill then turn right into the entrance :laughing: :unamused:

Steve, not sure if the factory is still there, but I do remember it as a regular job I used to do with Coastal.

Went there in the winter once, and the river had burst its banks, in torrential rain. It was axle deep going over the bridge,and it was ankle deep running down the hill along the road. One of Harry Forsythes (old Liverpool firm) was at the bottom of the hill…driver hopping from foot to foot in the deluge. Got out and could see abandoned car just at the start of the hill. Driver was hopping from foot to foot because he was dying for a ■■■■■■■ Never seen anyone in such a flap before. I said you are going to have to squeeze past the car or we might be in real trouble if river rises anymore. I watched him past the car, but he still took the wing mirror off…one desperate guy! Did not wait for me, he was off like a shot up that hill! Thankful that I was always empty going into that place. That first bend on the hill…where it switches back must be a killer when fully freighted. Going down it was no problem…was always with a huge sigh of relief that i got back on that main drag though.

A few weeks ago I was delivering for a plastic pipe company to a care home of some sort near Godalming in Surrey, the only vehicular access to which is through an arch bridge with a 6’-8" height limit (which I’m told the truck I was driving – a 10-tonner – can in fact get through, if you get it exactly right). Only the sat-nav directed me out to Milford and up a little lane past some other private hospital place, up a windy lane until it stopped dead outside a farm. The next bit of the ‘lane’ was too narrow for anything wider than a motorbike. This is with a proper truck sat-nav (that said, Ordnance Survey has this track down as a road as well). I had to reverse a mile, at least, along the windy lane before I found somewhere I could turn round. I believe everyone in the chain of command should be responsible for making sure drivers know which way to come, if there is a danger of getting stuck or lost. If the people you collected from knew this was a danger, they should have made sure you knew.

I take my hat of to you Mike, well done!

Great Tale !!