A Twin Stick Trans!

makes me glad I have I shift in my unit :open_mouth: youtube.com/watch?v=w7d6OZs8cI8&NR=1

Now that must take some getting used too !!! :confused:

How do they work then?

I think i’ll stick with my splitter and range change.

beats me fella just looks like a load of porridge stiring to me :laughing:

1st time i`ve ever seen one of those :open_mouth: .
One of the comments says one stick is gears and the other stick splits each gear.
Far easier with a bloody switch on one stick :laughing:

Think of me…

I have 4 levers in my Land Rover…

its a main gear box and a overdrive box just the same as you have now but worked manually with stick instead of air servos you have now

That’s one of the easy ones!

A proper “quad box” has a 5-speed “normal” box plus a 4-speed transfer box to give 20 speeds; the link below is a “triplex” which of course has only 15.

All constant-mesh or “crash” gears, makes my old ERF (6-speed David Brown with a 2-speed axle) look like childs play.

Proper job! :laughing:

Any “old school” tank transporter guys on here will remember the old mk2 Antar (petrol engine) that had two gear levers. You had to change gear using both levers and both hands at the same time.

Oh dear, what would the H & S nazis make of that?

Looks similar to what Foden’s had 50 years ago, a lot easier when they put 3 on the column and 4 on the floor.

Pete.

Who can remember when some trucks had a clutch stop to slow down the engine when changing gears I believe some Fodens had them coupled to a David Brown gearbox, tried to drive one once, could not get it out of the yard.

little enis:
Who can remember when some trucks had a clutch stop to slow down the engine when changing gears I believe some Fodens had them coupled to a David Brown gearbox, tried to drive one once, could not get it out of the yard.

Virtually all Fodens had them, the later 12 speed boxes had an air diapragm on the layshaft which slowed the gearbox down to make up changes quicker. The idea was that you pressed the clutch part way down, out of gear and into neutral, then push the pedal to the floor and complete the change. To change down you double declutched. In practice it was just as easy to double declutch up and down.
Eaton Fuller boxes had them as well in the form of a friction disc on the gearbox primary shaft, handy if you had a ■■■■■■■ or Roller to get it into cog from a standstill to avoid the “crunch”, all the Foden’s and Sed Aks that I drove had them. If you pressed the clutch down to far then you couldn’t get them out of gear.

Pete.

Pete.

windrush:

little enis:

Virtually all Fodens had them, the later 12 speed boxes had an air diapragm on the layshaft which slowed the gearbox down to make up changes quicker. The idea was that you pressed the clutch part way down, out of gear and into neutral, then push the pedal to the floor and complete the change. To change down you double declutched. In practice it was just as easy to double declutch up and down.
Eaton Fuller boxes had them as well in the form of a friction disc on the gearbox primary shaft, handy if you had a ■■■■■■■ or Roller to get it into cog from a standstill to avoid the “crunch”, all the Foden’s and Sed Aks that I drove had them. If you pressed the clutch down to far then you couldn’t get them out of gear.

Pete.

Pete.

Christ these youngsters know nothing do they Pete, all they have to moan about is the cost of a cup of latte at the services :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Services■■? We never had time for that sort of thing :laughing:
Mind you. it was awkward drinking coffee and eating a sandwich while trying to cope with two gearlevers as well :confused:
Pete.