a tribute

10 years ago today I lost my Dad , and got me thinking , on 29th Dec I had passed my class 1 12 months ,
Over the last 12 months i have had many different experiences of different vehs , right up to biggest being a 16ft double decker curtain sider that the bridges seemed to breath in as I went underneath them lol , by far the hardest to control was taking 42 tonne down to weymouth from didcot of flooring to be used in the olympic car parking places so people would not be stuck in the mud can remember my fingers being white was holding the steering wheel that tight lol , trying to stop it running away with me on even slight hills of a34 and m3 was bum clenching to say the least ,
The reason I wanted to pass my hgv was always had a love of lorries being the fact used to spend many a school holiday being my dads drivers mate , he was an inspiration to me and one of my deepest regrets is that he never saw me drive the artics ,
Ive lost track of the number of times ive said to myself "I wish my dad was here now " so I could ask him advice about what to do in a given situation, Ive had up and downs thinking it would never happen, then the elation of passing class 1, ive never regretted spending the money to gain my licences and still get a thrill driving hgv now , to all you looking to pass this year good luck , and those that have passed but still not got that first chance , it will come just a bit of patience and luck , and those of you who still have their parents just take a min tonight to call an have a chat or tell them you love them , my dad was only 59 when he passed away far too young so you never know how long you will have ,

Hope you dont mind me posting this but just wanted to salute my dad on this 10 year anniversary

rip George Alexander Davey (aka Teddybear (cb handle ) )
still very much missed

What a touching read Jennie. I lost my Dad when he was 59 - but that was 33 years ago. He had no connection whatsoever with transport (he was an electrical contractor) but he was proud when I used to park coaches and trucks outside the house. And his most memorable expression (and I still hear him say it now) “You’ve got to win in the end, son”. I like to think I haven’t let him down.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Jennie, your dad George is watching over every yard and mile you will drive. Very very touching post.

You’re making him proud. Thanks for sharing

As Peter said a touching read. On the 23rd of this month it will be 18 years since my dad passed away, as with Peter he was not in transport but a joiner. We worked together for quite a few years, we were more like best mates than anything else. I still miss him and think about him and what he would think of my career change from joinery to driving artics now.

Gone but not forgotten Jen.

My mum was killed in a car crash 11 years ago no fault of her own just 2 young men racing on a Sunday morning the lead car lost it and spun into my mum killing her instantly, consequently the man in the other car died as well. The other one racing got 3 months prison.
I was working as a truck driver at that time, now I run my own LGV training company. It upsets me my mum never got to see me running my own business.

I do tell most of my young trainees about my mum for a reason that racing on a public road has no place.

Lost my dad 23 years ago from heart attack. Believe me my mums death was harder to accept than my dads.

I wish you all a safe motoring new year.

Thanks for all the kind words guys , someone told me a parent never leaves you , and to a certain extent its true , just missed him a bit more this time reckon it was because of it being 10 years kinda makes you stop and think ,
I know this post wasn`t truck related per sei so thanks ,
To all who have lost loved ones , always remembered

thank q

jen x

Jennie:
…and those of you who still have their parents just take a min tonight to call an have a chat or tell them you love them , my dad was only 59 when he passed away far too young so you never know how long you will have…

+1

Can’t really add to what’s been posted. Can’t believe it’s a year already though Jennie. Time flies.

I am lucky to still have my parents and both are proud of my achievements.

Your Dad is proud of you and is guiding you right every time you get behind the wheel.

Take it easy out there.

Lovely read that Jennie.

Your Dad will be watching over you and will be as proud as punch. :wink:

I imagine your dad would be very proud of you! He’ll be there watching over you everywhere you drive. Touching post, all the best for the new year :wink:

My glass has just been raised to your self and to your Dad Jennie. like James said “a lovely read”.

i wish you all the best for this year and i’m sure your dad is watching over you!

Take care

Kev

Very touching read, I’m sure your dad will be looking over you jennie and beaming with pride watching your every drive.
My dad died at the age of 43 & I was eight, then mum passed away 12 yrs ago too , I miss them both very much, & although they have long since gone, I’d like to think that they would be proud of my achievements, of my family, the females (now all past) were the truck drivers in the family, & the men docked the massive ships .
Very sadly missed RIP