A tory goverment

would a tory goverment spell doom for imigration and once a country is a member of europe can they opt out?
my reason for this question is the tory’s didnt seem to want to join europe and have never warmed to overseas workers and it looks like there sure to be the next goverment do you think this will effect our friends from other countries whats your thoughts?

I think they will at least be seen to do something, at least enough to apis the masses, any party with half a brain and a small interest in the thoughts of the public would make some form of plan regarding incoming numbers of migrant workers and exactly where and what they end up doing, just to know, got to useful to a government ain’t it…

I just wonder how much a new governments hands are tied, who ever gets in faces a bit of a uphill struggle to get back on the straight and narrow.

dustylfc:
would a tory goverment spell doom for imigration and once a country is a member of europe can they opt out?
my reason for this question is the tory’s didnt seem to want to join europe and have never warmed to overseas workers and it looks like there sure to be the next goverment do you think this will effect our friends from other countries whats your thoughts?

Listening to R4, Dimbleby last night there is nothing any party can do about the free movement within the EU, (we are in Europe but not in Euro currency zone) we had the chance to put off free movement when new states joined but didn’t bother as govt was informed ,by same informed sources who later verified the existence Saddam’s WMD, that only about 3 dozen people , (35 and Orys), were even thinking of coming to UK from Poland or other new member states .
Immigration from outside the EU can be controlled or halted but represents a small % of the perceived total ( noone knows the actual figures to base a decision on)
I was in France and they went, naturellement, for the maximum veto period which must be about coming to an end along with Germany’s, since these economies are still strong and their veto period is expiring then the free movement of labour may flow from UK to other member states.
That includes us if we wish… one in five houses is empty and surplus in Ireland and Greek property prices are “softening rapidly” but you cannot retire at 53 any more :confused:

dustylfc:

Not quite sure where you get you impression that the Tory’s don’t like being part of Europe.
The first application to join the EEC was under a Tory Government, we actually joined under a Tory Government and the Maastrict treaty was sign by a Tory Government and we were taken into the ERM under a Tory Government.

And I’m sure most Tory’s are quite happy to have overseas workers when they can pay lower wages.

I believe Greenland is the only Country to have left the EU. so it is possible, but do you really think that if we left the EU we’d be free of thier influence?

the amount of money we as tax payers give to europe is a joke, esp when they enforce sutpid rules on us like how bent a banana can be etc

muckles:

dustylfc:

Not quite sure where you get you impression that the Tory’s don’t like being part of Europe.
The first application to join the EEC was under a Tory Government, we actually joined under a Tory Government and the Maastrict treaty was sign by a Tory Government and we were taken into the ERM under a Tory Government.

And I’m sure most Tory’s are quite happy to have overseas workers when they can pay lower wages.

I believe Greenland is the only Country to have left the EU. so it is possible, but do you really think that if we left the EU we’d be free of thier influence?

i was under the impression they wanted a referendum on europe but there are alot of spin within the goverment and i would assume that the tory being on the right that imigration would be the first place they would start and being a lad at the time of the thatcher years i can only assume things will resume.

dustylfc:

muckles:

dustylfc:

i was under the impression they wanted a referendum on europe but there are alot of spin within the goverment and i would assume that the tory being on the right that imigration would be the first place they would start and being a lad at the time of the thatcher years i can only assume things will resume.

The Conservitives say they would have given us a referendum over the Lisbon treaty, but then it’s easy to say that when you’re not in power. But when they were in power they didn’t give us a referendum over the Maastrict treaty.

They also say they won’t although any other major changes in European policy without a referendum. Of course if you don’t define a major change you can always say later this is just tieing up loose ends. After all that’s what some siad about the Lisbon treaty.

The Conservative government have always supported immigration just like the so called Labour lot.It’s all about cheap labour and trying to get more votes from all those that they let in.

Carryfast:
The Conservative government have always supported immigration just like the so called Labour lot.It’s all about cheap labour and trying to get more votes from all those that they let in.

i didnt realise migrants could vote?

muckles:

That’s correct. They joined when Denmark joined but left in the 80’s when Denmark granted them self rule. They are still part fo teh Kingdom of Denmark but not part of the EU, in much the same way the Channel Islands, The Isle of Man and the Canary Islands are not part of the EU.

dustylfc:
i was under the impression they wanted a referendum on europe

They do … provided we learn to vote the “right” way!

Stan

dustylfc:

Carryfast:

i didnt realise migrants could vote?

Immigrants are those who’ve come into the country migrants are those who’ve left.But getting the right to live in Britain also gives you the right to vote here and if you’re an immigrant you’re not going to vote for any party that wants to throw you out or not let any more of you in in just the same way that turkeys would’nt vote for christmas :laughing:But how many times have we heard the same old bs from all of the commie b…s that the country’s essential services and it’s industry would collapse if we had’nt/did’nt let everyone in from all corners of the ex commonwealth let alone the EU when what they really mean is that it saves the employers a fortune in wages which they’d have to pay if they did’nt rig the supply and demand of labour in their favour by importing it from poorer countries instead of paying the true market rate which is why the Swiss don’t want to join the EU because that would give non EU residents from poor ex British commonwealth countries the right to live and work there too let alone all the ex East European lot.

Labour like the immigrants because they think they will vote for them. That is why postal voting was expanded, so the illegal immigrants could vote as well.

The Race Relations Act 1969 was enacted for this reason, however it backfired and the Tories won the 1970 election.

in a few years i think britain might not be such an appeal as it has been, not just for the overseas workers but for the general population as van den bosch has shown hiring a multitude of nationality’s so maybe with the british wage not doing so well we may find ourselves working further a field

woodlands:

dustylfc:
wou
Immigration from outside the EU can be controlled or halted but represents a small % of the perceived total ( noone knows the actual figures to base a decision on)
I was in France and they went, naturellement, for the maximum veto period which must be about coming to an end along with Germany’s, since these economies are still strong and their veto period is expiring then the free movement of labour may flow from UK to other member states.

Not true.

In 2008, a mere 25 per cent of permanent, as opposed to temporary, migrants were from the EU. Even in 2007, when migration from the EU was at its peak, the figure was only 38 per cent.

It may look different from the transport industry and the people working in the food producers/warehouses etc that you are delivering to, but the EU immigrants are largely temporary but highly visible, compared to those from further affield.

TC