A to Z Transport Miscellaney

GMC General

gingerfold:

rigsby:

gingerfold:
Gillingham Dorset, Spiers of Melksham depot

What doesn’t look right with the lorry?

There’s only one wiper , and that looks as if it’s been pinched off a mini .

What about the front tyres?

The front tyres appear oversized,but I would hazard a guess it’s an optical illusion “GF”?

David

Garrett trucks !

mushroomman:
I think it’s a Fiat. :confused:

With a couple of Ferraris.

Nowadays very rare and desired…the marque is O.M. (Officine Meccaniche) from Brescia
(North of Italy) and this company has a rich history in cars, lorries, busses and lifttrucks,
and been absorbed in the Iveco-group. Early lorries carried names from animals, like Taurus,
Orione, Orsetto, Lupetto, Daino, Cerbiatto, Tigrotto, Leoncino but later the lorries (just as
the one on the picture) got a number: 150

5thwheel:

gingerfold:

rigsby:

gingerfold:
Gillingham Dorset, Spiers of Melksham depot

What doesn’t look right with the lorry?

There’s only one wiper , and that looks as if it’s been pinched off a mini .

What about the front tyres?

The front tyres appear oversized,but I would hazard a guess it’s an optical illusion “GF”?

David

Yes that’s what I thought if you compare them with the rear tyres, and I also think that its an optical illusion. Although some six wheelers such as the AEC Marshal had as standard D20s on the front and 9.00 x 20s on the rear. They could be ordered as an option with D20s all round.

Stanfield:
Guy Warrior Milk Tanker
Tarmac Big J
Guy Otter ? Tipper
Guy Otter Before restoration2
Guy Otter After restoration 1
John Murphy’s recently acquired Guy Invincible (Used to belong to John Horner of Morecambe/Heysham)

Hi John,
The Otter tipper is still about, was owned by a lad local to me a few years ago and the Dennis Miers milk tanker, that is the company that Saviems family sold their milk collection business to and later on Wincantons bought Miers out, Cheer’s Pete

ERF-Continental:

mushroomman:
I think it’s a Fiat. :confused:

With a couple of Ferraris.

Nowadays very rare and desired…the marque is O.M. (Officine Meccaniche) from Brescia
(North of Italy) and this company has a rich history in cars, lorries, busses and lifttrucks,
and been absorbed in the Iveco-group. Early lorries carried names from animals, like Taurus,
Orione, Orsetto, Lupetto, Daino, Cerbiatto, Tigrotto, Leoncino but later the lorries (just as
the one on the picture) got a number: 150

Thanks E.R.F. Continental, it’s amazing what you learn on this site. :smiley:

When Gingerfold put this photo on

Generator%20AEC%20Mercury.jpg

I was hoping that John was going to put his photo on.

AEC%20Mercury%201965.jpg

I must admit i didn’t spot it. :blush: This AEC is still parked at the industries museum in Manchester.

Ginaf

G for Graham Gingerfold for his excellent photos and information and whilst I’m on for one of the best books ever published, Milled from Golden Fields, Thank you Pete

pete smith:
G for Graham Gingerfold for his excellent photos and information and whilst I’m on for one of the best books ever published, Milled from Golden Fields, Thank you Pete

Okay Pete thank you, flattery will get you everywhere, what do want :question: :question: :question: :laughing:

Stanfield:

I must admit i didn’t spot it. :blush: This AEC is still parked at the industries museum in Manchester.

Two out of the six built with Tillotson cabs were based at Kearsley Power Station. (Rumour had it that some Ergomatic cabbed Mercury Generators were also built, but I’ve never seen a photo of one). Of the two at Kearsley PS Ray Holden bought one when its generator failed and was deemed too costly to repair. That went into service. In the Baker’s Union strike of 1978 I took a load of flour with it to Mothers Pride Chesterfield one Saturday afternoon and I went the traditional way through the Peak District from Bolton. I hadn’t loaded the flour and on the first steep climb up to the Wanted Inn at Sparrowpit I thought that the old girl (15 years old) was a bit sluggish. At Chesterfield when I counted the sacks on the load there was 13 tons on, so she was understandably at bit sluggish! Strangely, she had never felt “heavy”, like many overloaded lorries did on steel springs and no power steering. When Kearsley PS closed in 1983 the second Mercury generator was moved to Norweb on Manchester Road Bolton, and I think that is the one that has survived.

I hasten to add that the overload wasn’t deliberate, during the strike British Bakeries were storing bagged flour at the closed down Mothers Pride bakery at Blackpool, and some bread van sales supervisors were responsible for loading so they had put 12 pallets on the AEC instead of 10. Obviously the driver who loaded it should have known. Ray had uprated it to 16 tons gvw and legally it would carry about 10.5 tons payload.

Foremost Glacial Explorer.
The Foremost company apparently made 23 of these or so the driver told me and they were made at their factory in Calgary. I wish that he hadn’t mentioned that they were powered by a Detroit Diesel Series 50, 250 H.P. (187 K.W.) at 2100 r.p.m. :unamused:

GMC

And moving nicely on to letter H

One subject that obsesses drivers…HORSE POWER…here’s three of them…

Flour Milling 020.jpg

Horse Parade for Sugdens of Brighouse in 1904

Flour Milling 171.jpg

Hand-ball Load of St.Ivel product on Spiers of Melksham Foden 2-Stroke Eight Wheeler. Long serving Spiers stalwart driver Jimmy Cooke checks his notes.

Spiers Foden FG St Ivel.jpg

Harbour Defence Launch powered by twin Gardner 8L3 engines plus a 1L2 generator

Hardman & Holden Albions. A well-remembered Manchester chemicals company.

Harwood Quarries, located just north of Bolton, now closed.

Harwood Quarries Albion.jpg

Harwood Quarries Comets.jpg