Couple of FTF,s

Thames Horse Box.JPG

Ford

Faun:

I think it’s a Fiat. :confused:

With a couple of Ferraris.

And moving through the alphabet we arrive at letter G

So we’ll begin with Guy and a Guy Otter van in service with Spillers Milling

Birkenhead based Guy Big J, in its last weeks of service before being sold. Spillers also had a Guy Big J Eight wheeler, which I regret never photographing. Like the artic that also had ■■■■■■■ power.
Flour Milling 139.jpg

And another Guy Big J from another company I know very well, this was based at Turners’ London Depot. Powered by a Gardner 6LXB 180.

Gulf Oil ERF

Gulf ERF.jpg

Green’s Flour, Maldon, 1936 AEC Mammoth Major 6, missing one or two bits and pieces.

And a Green’s ERF from a much later era

Greens of Maldon ERF.jpg

Gillingham Dorset, Spiers of Melksham depot

What doesn’t look right with the lorry?

gingerfold:

There’s only one wiper , and that looks as if it’s been pinched off a mini .

Generator AEC at work providing power for a major power outage at Radcliffe. The Mercury carried a Centrax gas turbine generator, hence the need for a fuel bowser! A friend of mine bought one of these out of service from the former CEGB. At 15 years old it had covered 23,000 miles, so it went into service in 1978 as a general haulage lorry.

Generator AEC Mercury.jpg

rigsby:

gingerfold:

What about the front tyres?

gingerfold:

rigsby:

gingerfold:

What about the front tyres?

It looks like its overloaded to me, IIRC it would have been a 7 tonner but perhaps its got 9/10 ton on, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Regards Larry.

Gardner Engines, revered by many operators and drivers,hated by some, but as my mentor said to me “a Gardner engine will always beat the driver, the driver will never beat the Gardner”.
Here we see Thomas Gardner, on the left with pipe, a Mr Parkinson of Walker Bros. of Wigan, centre, who made Pagefield lorrries, and Joseph Gardner. Thomas and Joseph were sons of Lawrence Gardner, the founder of the company. When Lawrence died at the early age of 50 Thomas who was employed at Crewe Railway Works (London & North Western Railway) re-joined the family firm to assume control. A former Whitworth Engineering Scholar at Manchester University Thomas, born in 1860, was regarded as a brilliant engineer and designed the first Gardner internal combustion engine in 1894. He was the brains behind all engine development until his death in 1937. Joseph Gardner was the organiser of the factory and designed many of the machine tools Gardner’s manufactured in house, both for their own use and also for supplying to other engineering companies, which included such famous names as Rolls Royce.

Before producing engines for automotive use Gardner’s made a huge variety of engines in smallish numbers for different applications, including marine uses. By the 1920’s they had a highly successful range of semi-Diesels in production, slow-revving and based on the ideas of Ackroyd-Stewart. A semi-Diesel engine fired by compression ignition but to get it going it required to have the cylinder heads heated by blow lamps. When a certain temperature was reached the blow lamps were turned off and the engine ran by the heat it generated by fuel combustion. This is a 4-cylinder Gardner semi-Diesel, designated 4T6. A similar 6-cylinder engine is one of the showpiece working exhibits at the Anson Engine Museum at Poynton, Cheshire.

The next generation included Hugh and John Gardner, who were Joint Managing Directors and the sons of Joseph Gardner. Here we see John, with pipe, Hugh, arms folded, and Mr Van de Steen, the Gardner agent in Holland.

Gardner Brothers, next generation.jpg

Hugh Gardner is credited with designing the 6LX 150, introduced in 1958.

And one of the final Gardner engines that could trace some lineage to the 6LX 150, the ultra rare 5LXDT, one of only five made when the firm was in its twilight years and clinging on to survival. The 5LXDT was aimed at the PSV market, but there were no takers.

Gardner 5LXDT Engine.jpg

Guy Warrior Milk Tanker

008.jpg
Tarmac Big J

BigJ12.jpg
Guy Otter ? Tipper

lorry.jpg
Guy Otter Before restoration

Guy Otter After restoration

John Murphy’s recently acquired Guy Invincible (Used to belong to John Horner of Morecambe/Heysham)

John Murphys Guy  Invincible.jpg

2 Gardner Engines.jpgEngineering at its best, The good old Gardner Engine IMO, Regards Larry.
2 Gardner Engines.jpg

gingerfold:

Well it’s a ■■■■■■■ BMC for a start so that says a lot about what is wrong with it :blush: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Bewick.

Gas Turbine trucks:
Leyland Motors development vehicles -

Sadly, the blue & white one was destroyed in the Leyland fire in December, 2011.