A tad nervous

My day of losing my trucking virginity has arrived!

Just got a call to do a night trunk run from Cullompton to Stafford, and on the very day my licence arrived from dvla. Kick off is 1830, l must admit i’m somewhat anxious but really looking forwards to it. I’ll be the 2nd of 2 trucks running so ill have a mentor to follow.
Not sure what the wagon is yet but I believe its an artic :open_mouth:
Wish me luck

Tazbug

haha, sounds like my first shift. Details were scarce and was told I’d be one of 3 lorries going down.

If it’s a semi-auto don’t forget to put the clutch in when you come to a stop! :laughing: although it’s quite surprising how slow you can actually go in them without having to pull the clutch in.

Get a few pictures and look forwarding to hearing all about it, stay safe. mirrors mirrors mirrors mirrors mirrors.

Well…it was an artic, a Scania 420 with a tri axle double deck curtainside trailer. I did take a pic so, once I worked out how to post it, i’ll attempt to put it on here.

The run went very well. A total baptism at the start, having never been near a curtainsider I was shown how to strap the load and then operate the curtains, (as I only had a couple of hours notice I didn’t get a chance to have a read up of the tips here or look at any of Lukes videos). That followed a high speed introduction to the cab of the Scania. Manual box was good although needed to get used to splitting every shift!..went all the way to Stafford in the quiet as I forgot to find out how to turn the radio on.

The run up was great. Once i’d got used to the feel of pulling a full load I settled in to enjoy chasing my mentor up the M5 (his XF was much faster than my Scania so he had to keep slowing down in order for me to keep up…even though my right foot was buried on the loud pedal)

At Stafford I had to reverse onto an area between 2 white lines. Unfortunately It wasn’t a straight back, I had to go through 90 degrees between the shed and a row of trailers…I got it onto the lines on my 1st effort only for the forkie watching to ask me to do it again and get between the lines! 7 further shunts later, and much sweating, I got it where it should be then set about uncoupling, next big issue…I’ve never used the suspension lift when coupling etc (didn’t do it when training/testing) so had to get forkie to demonstrate. Must admit, he was really helpful, I was clearly a pillock on his 1st ever run but he afforded me the time and helped me with the whole process. Anyway…got the unit clear, went to find Kevin, my mentor, and my return trailer. Found them on the other side of the yard only to have Kevin point out i’d forgotten my trailer plate (what a prat i felt :blush: ) the long walk back will make sure I don’t do that again. Kevin gave me a hand to couple up (bloody suspension again) then it was break time.

I knew the way home so travelled solo back to Devon…having made good use of my break by sussing out the radio! A good run down M6 and M5 saw me back at base in 3.5 hours, a straight reverse onto the bay and a superb demonstration of forklift unloading followed. Once done I closed the curtains took the truck into the yard, separated the unit and trailer then parked the unit up for the rest of the night.

I got a ‘over speeding’ notice on the digi which kevin cleared at Stafford…do I need to worry about that? I know I hit 65 running down towards Avonmouth trying to keep up with Kev.

Thanks to Kevin and Steve for all their help. A great baptism with appetite whetted for more :smiley:

Tazbug

Nothing to worry about with the overspeed, you can cancel it yourself as it happens just by pressing Ok on the digi unit.

I’m not sure if you noticed but when you put your foot down to the board, if you push a bit harder it will give you more acceleration (not sure if this stands on manuals as i’ve only ever felt it on autos) so someone will be able to clear that up.

Well done on a great first run.

Sam Millar:
Nothing to worry about with the overspeed, you can cancel it yourself as it happens just by pressing Ok on the digi unit.

I’m not sure if you noticed but when you put your foot down to the board, if you push a bit harder it will give you more acceleration (not sure if this stands on manuals as i’ve only ever felt it on autos) so someone will be able to clear that up.

am pretty sure kickdown is only on auto but I stand to be corrected any takers ■■

I had my foot so hard on that pedal that, by the time I got to Stafford, my right thigh was twice the size of my left :wink:

…found cruise on the way home, much better!

Tazbug

JobsWorth:

Sam Millar:

am pretty sure kickdown is only on auto but I stand to be corrected any takers ■■

No think you’re probably right as I’ve never encountered it into manual either

Tazbug what a brill first run , always much nicer to go out with someone who knows the procedures when you arr at you dest , and as you found out , always build a rapor with the forkies :wink:

you will find that everyone is always helpfull (well 99% of the time) when they realise your new to this, and as for your trailer plate im always kept fit walking back or pulling forward a few a yard or too when realised that havent got me plate for a trailer swap :laughing:

onwards and upwards fella a great achievement dont it feel good knowing your in charge of that great big beast , heres to them calling you back to work for them again , Im sure they will :wink:

jen x

Thanks Jen, apparently they told the agency they would have me back again and were impressed that this was my 1st ever run :smiley:

Its been a good week so far…I got a call from a 2nd agency at 1130 yesterday asking if I could do a class 2 run from Highbridge to Tamworth and back starting at 1400 (the same day!). Needless to say I accepted and p****d my wife off! i’m sure she’ll be happy when the payment comes in!

Got to the depot to find I was driving an 18T fridge (1 year old Daf CF full auto). So…had a good induction, refuelled and set off. 2.5 hrs later after a breeze of a run up M5 and M42, got to depot (using superb directions provided by the company). Forkies had a job in getting 2 of the pallets off as the bases broke as they were lifted but luckily they solved it with some skillfull workmanship and a lot of effort (no handballing required :open_mouth: ). Once reloaded it was into Tamworth services for a break and then back to base.

Not sure if I like the auto on a truck though, mind you its probably much better on an artic! On the Daf, at lower speeds, it seemed to just want to keep launching itself into 1st.

…I’m liking this new life :smiley:

Tazbug

Well done on another good run. Should have popped in as I live in Highbridge. I’m sure I could have stretched to a coffee :wink:

Who did you do the run for…?

1st run was for Stan Robinson 2nd run was BFP at Highbridge…would you believe i’ve just accepted another class 1 run for 5pm this evening going to Brum, unload, reload and return. This time with Jays at Highbridge.

Thanks for the offer of coffee Dean, hopefully I can take you up on that at a lter date :wink:

Tazbug

I did an agency run for BFP round Gloucestershire and Wales. I maxed out my hours. The fridge faulted out on me two thirds of the way round and the pallet truck breakage was blamed on me. Nice truck though.

Jays (RT Keedwell Group) are an ok firm to work for. literally 5 minutes away from me. Just don’t let them push you. They track their vehicles for ALL driver functions and weren’t happy when I was only doing 35-40 on S/C or when I was starting in 3rd gear from standing :imp:

Going to minworth, The Pallet Network? Had a look on Google maps, seems a huge development, have you been there? any advice? looks like J9 off M42 then follow round and into Minworth.

Tazbug

Not been myself but if its the main central hub, then I think a few of them on here have been…

…It is the main central hub, can’t work out if its bays or a continuous feed in feed out system, being unloaded and then loaded whilst in the feed?

Tazbug

It might be the one Jennie did a couple of weeks ago. Give her a PM and see. If she can help, she will :slight_smile:

Sorry Tazbug not bin to that one , but most of them are preety straight forward , open curtains scan in through some sort of shed then q to be unloaded then park up and shunter will come and find you for your reload , im up at palletwise tonight just off j6 m42 brum airport , i normally grab a coffee in warwick on way home to keep me awake for the last bit home so if you see me give us a wave , wont miss me normally covered in grease from the wagon im a bloody muck magnet dont know how i always come home covered in the stuff :laughing:

have a good un

jx

Ok. Proved wrong :smiley:.

Good to see the work is still coming Jen.

Good luck Tazbug.

I’ll write a full update later when I get in front of my laptop…in the meantime. I’m on the hardshoulder of the M42 J3 with a blown tyre offside lift axle on the tug!

As it was warm I had my window wound down when suddenly BAM with sparks and flapping/cracking sounds and 40 odd tons not wanting to do as it was told. Easy off the gas, gently on the brake and a coax onto the shoulder…phew, heart now returning to normal.

On a bend as well so will need a lane 1 from my HATO colleagues. Tyre god should be here about 0130 so I think I’ll have a doze.

Minworth is amazing…I’ll explain later.

Stay safe
Tazbug

Got to depot at 1700, was shown a DVD of how to operate at Minworth, this was really useful as, when it came to it, everything seemed familiar when I got there.

The unit and trailer were just finishing off being loaded, noticed the tug was 11 years old but trailer was newer and in better condition than the trailer I took on Monday, another double decker! Started my checks when was asked to move wagon out of the loading shed, got into yard, nowhere to stop so went out onto road and realised I hadn’t put chart into tacho :blush:. Quick confirmation with office that fuel level will get me to destination and back before heading off…and discovering the tug wasn’t very nice, a 380 Scania which seemed to have lost 200 of its horses and had a really awkward gearbox, no splitter just 4 low and 4 high with a range changer that offered practically no resistance hence, when I got a busy roundabout in rush hour I kept knocking it into high ratio and melting the clutch as I attempted to move into the traffic flow in 6th :open_mouth:

Managed to get onto M5 to head north only to discover that on the steeper climbs top speed was…30mph! In fairness though once i’d got the hang of the box, and realised the wagons limitations, It all settled into a reasonable drive with no more drama’s (although steering was a bit wild…no not me, the truck).

Minworth, if you’ve never been there, is quite a cabaret. 170-180 artics unloaded and loaded every night shifting around 10,000 pallets using 45-50 forkies all whizzing around all over the place, quite a spectacle and very well organised. Basically you are directed to pull up outside, pull your curtains back, hazards on and proceed to the head forkie who directs you onto a parallel bay (luckily, the guy on the main gate had put a ‘new driver’ notice in my window so I had everything explained to me as I went round), then its engine off, hazards off, lights off and watch in awe at the forklift fairy dance as it unfolds in front of you. Once re-loaded its hazards on and slowly make your way out of the loading hall dodging forklifts on the way, turn right out of the hall to a parking area at the rear to strap load in, close curtains and have a break (driver facilities are provided).

Met up with Dan, another Jays driver, who helped me close up and explained the process of getting out! Thanks Dan, really appreciated. After my break I found my way out, got back onto M42 and headed for home…got as far as J3 when the above tyre blew. Was on H/S from 2340 until 0245. Once sorted, got back to base around 0440 only to find the tacho hadn’t recorded properly, just had a thick black line from 1730 to 0440.

All in all its been a fascinating 1st week and a good experience for a newbie like me…just need to practice reversing the artic now just to build my confidence, watching those guys and gals parking at Minworth made me feel very small indeed :blush:, if you are one of those drivers now reading this, I doff my cap to you!

A question to finish off…I am now aware that, although I checked the airlines/suzies/electrics etc on the wagon before I left the load shed at Highbridge, I didn’t do anything with the suspension. Should I have switched the suspension thing on in the tug and pushed the green button to normalise the suspension? I’m getting paranoid about that blowout now seeing as it was on the lift axle!

Looks like we may have passed each other on M42 Jennie :astonished:

Stay safe

Tazbug