A solution to picture diaries

I thought I would start this post due to what has been going on regarding these posts. I am not saying whether it is right or wrong to take pictures whilst driving, we all know if it is right or not. So no comments on this as it has been flogged to death previoulsy.I think you are all missing a few points with these diaries.

Point 1: It is illegal to do things like taking pictures, reading maps etc whilst driving any vehicle. No need to reply to this.

Point 2: Have you consulted your boss about putting pictures of the vehicle on the internet, as it is their vehicle not yours? I am sure the boss wouldn’t be happy seeing as what has happened to some of the postings. Another thought is that your postings are copyrighted to you and can only be used again with your permission, have you been asked by the person in question who used these on another forum? Maybe you should persue this??

Point 3: The solution? You guys seem to be missing the point with these diaries. The diaries are popular with drivers and other members who are not involved in transport because they do show the differences with truck driving. There is a difference between driving a rigid vehicle, low loader, car transporters, container trucks etc, different types of loads and loading procedures and destinations wouldn’t you agree? However I do not see any difference when a picture is taken from the cab, whether as a passenger or when driving. This is the same view which could be from any of the types of job previously mentioned, I do know what it is like to be stuck in a traffic jam on a motorway so need for a photo of it.

I think the authors of the diaries should concentrate more on taking pictures of the trucks when they are loading/unloading, showing the different loads and destination points of delivery etc. If you want a scenic shot take one whilst parked and include the truck…this is a nicer shot than just a view. Jessica’s dad did one recently and none were taken from the cab.

This hopefully will solve a problem and keep everyone happy. :smiley:

Now that is a good sensible post that gives some serious ‘food for thought’ :smiley: :smiley:

I posted this in the hato thread.

To make a suggestion and a valid one…

If diarys are going to be taken out of context (and reporting people to whoever )by venonmous little oiks in funny coloured Hi-Viz jackets ■■■■■■■■ about standing on the hard shoulder then perhaps a LOCKED
area of the forum for the diaries to be posted in.(basically if you don’t have access you can’t see it so know nothing of it’s existence)
I use other forums that have such areas and access is only granted to those who aren’t just reading to cause trouble etc.
For starters give everyone access except the obvious 2 and see how it goes.
Anyone starts arguments on a diary thread over pics etc then access is taken away, simple as that.

Might not be the way TN wants to operate the forum but between the constant moaning threads the diaries make a humourous change.Only spoiled by certain spastics that can’t keep there big mouths shut and probably wouldn’t open them on a face to face basis

xjrv8:
Point 3: The solution? You guys seem to be missing the point with these diaries. The diaries are popular with drivers and other members who are not involved in transport because they do show the differences with truck driving. There is a difference between driving a rigid vehicle, low loader, car transporters, container trucks etc, different types of loads and loading procedures and destinations wouldn’t you agree? However I do not see any difference when a picture is taken from the cab, whether as a passenger or when driving. This is the same view which could be from any of the types of job previously mentioned, I do know what it is like to be stuck in a traffic jam on a motorway so need for a photo of it.

I think the authors of the diaries should concentrate more on taking pictures of the trucks when they are loading/unloading, showing the different loads and destination points of delivery etc. If you want a scenic shot take one whilst parked and include the truck…this is a nicer shot than just a view. Jessica’s dad did one recently and none were taken from the cab.

The point is quite simply that we shouldn’t be needing to question the legalities of every picture we take whilst out and about before posting them on here. Frankly it’s no-one elses bloody business what the circumstances behind the pics are. The pics are posted for the enjoyment of others, not to have the legalities of them being questioned.

Without blowing ones own trumpet, when I use to do my weekly diaries on here it was the most viewed thread on this entire site and the vast majority of my pics were taken whilst I was on the move. I think out of several hundred replies there was only ever one post that questioned who was taking the pictures and even that was asked tongue in cheek because it was clear to anyone that they were taken by myself whilst driving.

Sometimes the best pics are the scenic ones, especially if your drops are a bit out in the sticks. You can’t be stopping every 5 mins to take pics so if the traffic is light and the road not too demanding, what’s the harm in pulling your phone/camera out and taking a snap?

My old pics links in my diary are dead now because I moved servers but here’s a selection of my ones for “ridicule” :smiley:

First time for me over the Snake Pass with 28 tonne of axles on the back going from Sheffield to Wrexham. A lot of folks haven’t been over the Snake before so the pics were interesting to them. A lot of people get a sweat on at the thought of going over here in a car, never mind a fully loaded artic :open_mouth:

Random going through roadworks pic

Some road in ■■■■■■■ that I shouldn’t even be on in an artic and brown trouser moment wondering if truck will fit over this bridge :smiley:

Hatfield tunnel

Flooded road after monsoon style downpour hits W Yorkshire

And perhaps “worst” of all, flying along the M62 on the limiter whilst I’m shooting pics out of the n/s window :open_mouth: . Don’t worry, it’s not as bad as it looks, I was steering with my knees whilst holding the camera :smiley:

A lot of the do-gooders on here need to calm the ■■■■ down and live and let live imho. :bulb:

It is statements like that that cause all the aggravation on here. I was merely looking at a sensible way for diaries to still be posted, as some may be put off now, without the fear of getting questioned.

You are obviously an acceptional driver Rob, I could never take a picture from the passenger side and steer with my knees due to me driving a big truck, and not a toy truck.

I have broad shoulders so carry on Rob, the point of this post is not for confrontations, but for a sensible conclusion and for drivers not to get into heated discussion and with results of people getting bannned rightly or wrongly or being reported to their boss, which I am not interested in. Some people on here no matter what get a buzz out of stirring things up again. This post is not for this. Start a new post Rob.

Totally agree with you Rob if anyone doesnt like it dont look at it its that simple.

Its prefectly legal to take photos of anything you want in this country while you are in a public place I believe the only people exempt from thisa are the Royals.

Theres far too many do gooders who think a driover is putting everyone in the worlds lives at risk just because they can hole a camera withn one han d and point it out the window, i dont think anyone is stupid enough to be looking through the viewpoint and using both hands.

Some even have little tripods for the cameras all they do is press the button to take a photo.

Picking your nose is pretty much the same thing when driving as you are taking your hand off the wheel to do something else and you look away from the road momentarily AND DONT SAY YOU DONT LOOK.

Theres far too many do gooders who think a driover is putting everyone in the worlds lives at risk just because they can hole a camera withn one han d and point it out the window,

Do you mean like those do gooders who decided to ban the use of hand held mobiles whilst driving :question:

Well guys, I can only offer my own 2p worth on this. :grimacing:

I think that both sides in this debate have made some good points, so it makes me wonder whether this topic is really about the acceptability of a certain amount of distraction whilst driving.

To certain HATOs who shall remain nameless:
Have you ever turned your vehicle radio on or off or changed the station whilst on the move?
Have you ever had a conversation with a passenger/colleague whilst on the move?
Have you ever taken your hand from the steering wheel to open/close a window whilst on the move?

From a purely theoretical viewpoint, all of these are potentially enough to sustain at least a charge of driving without due care and attention.
Is it fair of me to suggest that theory might just be a tad different to practice? :wink:

In the real world, just what is acceptable in terms of diverted attention?

xjrv8:
Point 1: It is illegal to do things like taking pictures, reading maps etc whilst driving any vehicle. No need to reply to this.

Not it is not. Although I’ll admit that I’ve had to consult Blackstone’s to look it up. :blush: That’s how ‘rusty’ I am.

Reg 104 (Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986) requires a driver to maintain proper control over the vehicle at all times and to maintain a full view of the road.

Providing ‘other activities’ do not detract from having ‘proper control’ then no offence is committed.

In the context of ‘Roadcraft’ it is entirely reasonable to identify sections of a road, any road, as to whether it is a ‘zone of danger’ or a ‘zone of safety’. Regarding the latter, it may be a number of yards or continue for several miles. And as someone who regularly drives, in the middle of the night, roads like the M5 and the A42/M42, there are times when I’d actually appreciate a few ‘zones of danger’ to enliven the old ‘grey matter’. :smiley:

Modern digital cameras are simply ‘point and shoot’. What we see on here (largely) are the successful ones. I’m sure that there are many others that are discarded.

Do the detractors advocate the abandonment of ‘Scenic Routes’ on the basis that the driver will be distracted?

I would hope not. After all, we live in a Country that has magnificent scenery which should be enjoyed by all. Drivers included. If such drivers get distracted and cause danger or inconvenience, then they should be subject to sanctions pertaining to the circumstances.

There will always be people that can’t ‘multi-task’. There will, equally, be people that can carry out numerous functions whilst according the appropriate degree of concentration to the circumstances surrounding.

Like when I turn off the M25 onto the M40, I invariably pour a cup of coffee. :wink:

Rob K:
First time for me over the Snake Pass with 28 tonne of axles on the back going from Sheffield to Wrexham. A lot of folks haven’t been over the Snake before so the pics were interesting to them. A lot of people get a sweat on at the thought of going over here in a car, never mind a fully loaded artic :open_mouth:

A lot of the do-gooders on here need to calm the [zb] down and live and let live imho. :bulb:

Fantastic pics of Snake Pass, I used to live not far from there, brought back some great memories. I’ve only done ‘it’ in a Car and on a Bike. :smiley:

Anyway, back on topic.
I’m sick to death of all this billox, I’ve enjoyed reading the Diaries, it gives me something to look forward to, if I ever get a naffing job but all the [zb] from HATO’s and some knobs on here ruin it.
I think this will be my last post on here, I don’t enjoy being a member and seeing this constant bickering, life’s too short.

(Small language edit. If it needs ‘constructive’ spelling to get past the auto-censor, that should tell you it isn’t allowed. Simon)

dinosteveus1:
I’m sick to death of all this billox, I’ve enjoyed reading the Diaries, it gives me something to look forward to, if I ever get a naffing job but all the [zb] from HATO’s and some knobs on here ruin it.
I think this will be my last post on here, I don’t enjoy being a member and seeing this constant bickering, life’s too short.

I hope you will continue to read stuff you enjoy on the site.
Unfortunately, human nature being the way it is, there will always be some ■■■■■■■■, from some knob, about some other ■■■■■■■■, somewhere on this (and every other) site.
You soon learn who spouts ■■■■■■■■ and who’s worth paying attention to.

You can ignore the knobs, my fellow moderators and I have to read the stuff posted by knobs, to ensure they haven’t broken any rules, even though we know most of what they post is ■■■■■■■■.
(Feel sorry for us yet :question: :question: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: )

Nice pic of snake pass, brings back memories running cross from Manchester to Shefield to pick up waste paper to run down to Kemsley.

I got round the picture taking by having a digi video camera runs for ages mounted and running then just taking stills from the footage.