'A' road crawler lane questions

I’ve just got 2 quick random questions that I thought of while driving, first one I’m 99% sure the answer is no but just thought I would ask anyway, no harm in it I guess.

And the second one I’m not sure about, but probably not the case.

Question 1: Is there any law that forbids and HGV from overtaking another HGV who is using the crawler lane on a single carriage way A-road?

I’m guessing any vehicle can use the other lane regardless, just one of those random thoughts.

Question 2: If a stretch of road has crawler lane on a single carriage way ‘A’ road, technically making it dual carriage way can HGV’s do 50mph?

Cheers

James

Can’t see any reason why you can’t overtake anywhere that there isn’t a solid white line or a sign saying no overtaking.

It doesn’t matter how many lanes there are in any particular direction, it’s only a dual carriageway if there are 2 seperate carriageways ie: a physical barrier between the opposing directions of travel.

the answer is NO to both questions

there is no law banning you from overtaking unless signed

and no you cant do 50 mph on a normal road with crawler lane 40 only, even a road with 2 lanes in each direction is only 40.
duel carriageways must have a divide either crash barrier or similar. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

newmercman:
Can’t see any reason why you can’t overtake anywhere that there isn’t a solid white line or a sign saying no overtaking.

It doesn’t matter how many lanes there are in any particular direction, it’s only a dual carriageway if there are 2 seperate carriageways ie: a physical barrier between the opposing directions of travel.

correct

2points to that man :laughing: :laughing:

seeing questions like this frighten me

matt f:
seeing questions like this frighten me

It was just a random something that popped into my head, next time I will keep them in there. dont worry,

pecjam23:
Question 1: Is there any law that forbids and HGV from overtaking another HGV who is using the crawler lane on a single carriage way A-road?

Question 2: If a stretch of road has crawler lane on a single carriage way ‘A’ road, technically making it dual carriage way can HGV’s do 50mph?

1 - no
2 - no

A dual carriageway is defined, not by the number of lanes, but by what seperates the opposing traffic flows.

If the opposing traffic flows are seperated by paint or plastic cones then it is not a dual.

Don’t waste your time,

I already picked up the 2 points for getting this one right :laughing:

newmercman:
Don’t waste your time,

And your just one question away from winning er…absolutely nothing. :smiley: :laughing: :exclamation:

newmercman:
Don’t waste your time,

I know it had been answered but I wanted to put in my bit about the duals - many get caught out on this - the A556 off J19 M6 is a favourite for truckers to get caught at 50 because it is 2 lanes each way but only seperated by white lines which makes it a 40.

I have also seen trucks doing 40 on a single lane dual.

EDITTED :blush: :blush:

I lost 2 points :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:

newmercman:
Don’t waste your time,

I know it had been answered but I wanted to put in my bit about the duals - many get caught out on this - the A665 off J19 M6 is a favourite for truckers to get caught at 50 because it is 2 lanes each way but only seperated by white lines which makes it a 40.

Actually , i think its the A556 :sunglasses:
Can i claim 2 points ? :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:
A dual carriageway is defined, not by the number of lanes, but by what seperates the opposing traffic flows.

If the opposing traffic flows are seperated by paint or plastic cones then it is not a dual.

My question is. Are all roads that have a central reservation dual carriageways ie we can do 50 legally. Near where i live there’s an airport and a 40 mph goes under the runway for 400 yards it becomes a dual carriageway but it’d be stupid to speed up though it.

Mr B:

ROG:

My question is. Are all roads that have a central reservation dual carriageways ie we can do 50 legally. Near where i live there’s an airport and a 40 mph goes under the runway for 400 yards it becomes a dual carriageway but it’d be stupid to speed up though it.

If it is in a national limit then it is legally 50 when it turns to a dual but there is always the issue of apropriate speed

If the posted limit is 40 then it is all 40 - dual or not.

Suedehead:

ROG:

newmercman:
Don’t waste your time,

I know it had been answered but I wanted to put in my bit about the duals - many get caught out on this - the A665 off J19 M6 is a favourite for truckers to get caught at 50 because it is 2 lanes each way but only seperated by white lines which makes it a 40.

Actually , i think its the A556 :sunglasses:
Can i claim 2 points ? :laughing: :laughing:

You can have mine, I enjoyed them but the time has come to pass them on :laughing:

Can anybody define what is necessary as physical barrier to define a dual carriageway, I have searched (unsuccesfully) in the past after being caught on the A556 or whatever off Jnct 19 M6.

alearnshaw:
Can anybody define what is necessary as physical barrier to define a dual carriageway, I have searched (unsuccesfully) in the past after being caught on the A556 or whatever off Jnct 19 M6.

The only way to define this is to say what is NOT a barrier -
PAINT or PLASTIC CONES

And don’t ask me where to locate the regs for this as I can’t find them.

newmercman:
Can’t see any reason why you can’t overtake anywhere that there isn’t a solid white line.

You can even overtake when there is a solid white line ___________________

Yes that is correct, if the line on your side is broken or you are passing a slow moving or stopped vehicle, I think :confused:

newmercman:
Yes that is correct, if the line on your side is broken or you are passing a slow moving or stopped vehicle, I think :confused:

Generally anything doing less than 10 mph.

An interesting query this.

I’m regularly across the water in NI and they have a few crawler lanes about the place, but the locals don’t seem to understand the law/regulations when you’re on the opposite side of the road in the single lane.

Not always, but pretty often in the single lane it’s a broken white line which is against you, meaning that you can overtake using the crawler section’s outside lane. When it’s safe to do so, I’m invariably the only person who pulls out to overtake!