A quick one for DieselDave

One I should know but don’t.

I had 8t of LQ the other day in the form of 23 and a bit pallets of deodorant. The consignor gave me two lq placards. The only water I crossed was then river Don.

I was under the impression that lq required no markings under ADR or CDG Road. Am I wrong in that? The consignor said that all loads over 8t must be marked.

Google and the HSE were both a bit non committal so I split the difference and stuck one on the back doors and propped one up in the windscreen, but there was no way I hell. I was gluing a placard to the front of my new baby.

The other question is should I have been carrying a 2kg dry powder during this run?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

nsmith1180:
One I should know but don’t.

Hi nsmith1180,

Not really mate, because ADR says that it’s up to the consignor to tell the carrier what he’s sending, then it’s up to the carrier to sort you and his vehicle for the job. This includes your boss (the carrier) asking questions if anything the consignor said is unclear. My advice on this point is that it’s good practice for this to be done by email, then there’s no wriggling if the consignor is later found to be telling porkies.

nsmith1180:
I had 8t of LQ the other day in the form of 23 and a bit pallets of deodorant. The consignor gave me two lq placards. The only water I crossed was then river Don.

From what you’ve said, the consignor was quite correct to give you the two placards.
From your mention of water, I’m guessing a little here… you might have got confused with the slightly different placarding requirements of IMDG arising from carriage involving a ferry as part of an overall journey involving carriage by road.

nsmith1180:
I was under the impression that lq required no markings under ADR or CDG Road. Am I wrong in that? The consignor said that all loads over 8t must be marked.

ADR and CDG are as one on this point.
Vehicles that have a permitted GVW <12t must display the placards the consignor gave you (front and rear) when the vehicle is carrying <8t of LQs.

nsmith1180:
Google and the HSE were both a bit non committal so I split the difference and stuck one on the back doors and propped one up in the windscreen, but there was no way I hell. I was gluing a placard to the front of my new baby.

Sorry mate, but you were risking a prohibition for putting the front placard where you did.
Depending on your firm’s track record (of which I know nothing) that could have been the prohibition that annoyed the TC enough to invite your boss in for a little chat.
The rules are clear that the placard must be displayed on the front of the vehicle, but I can’t find an exemption for if somebody doesn’t fancy doing it for whatever reason including if the truck is new.

nsmith1180:
The other question is should I have been carrying a 2kg dry powder during this run?

No fire extinguishers are needed for any amount of LQs.

Does that mean you dont carry fire extinguishers? Not even a 2kg one in the recess next to the drivers seat?

Thats the minimum id want to protect my baby.

Concretejim:
Does that mean you dont carry fire extinguishers? Not even a 2kg one in the recess next to the drivers seat?

Thats the minimum id want to protect my baby.

Hi Jim,

We should remember that the original question relates to the carriage of LQs.

When carrying any amount of LQs, there is no requirement to carry a fire extinguisher.

Just because there’s no requirement doesn’t mean that it’s prohibited, so if somebody wishes to carry a suitable fire extinguisher of any size, it wouldn’t be an offence.

DieselDave: Eek and thanks. I think I’ll get some magnetic LQ diamonds made ASAP.

ConcreteJim: no I don’t yet. As I don’t do ADR at the moment I have no need of them, nor the maintenance of them. It’s something I was looking to sort out down the line but wasn’t a priority.

nsmith1180:
DieselDave: Eek and thanks. I think I’ll get some magnetic LQ diamonds made ASAP.

Hi nsmith1180,

As well as the magnetic type of placards, (which might be blown off in high winds) there are also foldable ones in the same way as there are foldable orange plates.

The required size is 250mm X 250mm.

:bulb: If you are not the owner of the vehicle ( = the carrier,) this really isn’t your problem.

ADR imposes responsibilities on the various ‘players’ in the transport chain, but there’s very little ADR responsibility on an employed driver.

Thanks Diesel. I am the owner of the vehicle so I need to get this squared away.

I’m going to go with magnetic ones for now. Id rather not drill into the unit unless I have to.

nsmith1180:
Thanks Diesel. I am the owner of the vehicle so I need to get this squared away.

I’m going to go with magnetic ones for now. Id rather not drill into the unit unless I have to.

Ahh, OK that’s all understood.

I can see why you wouldn’t want to do any drilling. Having said that… if the vehicle is on a lease, the actual owners are usually OK about drilling if it’s done by a competent garage and legally necessary, as yours would be.

Please be advised that IF you go further down the ADR route to the stage where you need an ADR licence and orange plates etc, you would additionally need to appoint (or be) a qualified DGSA.

A DGSA is NOT needed for the carriage of LQs.

dieseldave:

nsmith1180:

Ahh, OK that’s all understood.

I can see why you wouldn’t want to do any drilling. Having said that… if the vehicle is on a lease, the actual owners are usually OK about drilling if it’s done by a competent garage and legally necessary, as yours would be.

Please be advised that IF you go further down the ADR route to the stage where you need an ADR licence and orange plates etc, you would additionally need to appoint (or be) a qualified DGSA.

A DGSA is NOT needed for the carriage of LQs.

Sorry for the hi-jack but this was a question i had recently which i had ansewrd albeit not 100%.

From a o/d perspective, if i was subbing for someone while doing ADR would i need my own DGSA, or would the main contractors DGSA be responsible for “vetting” me?

Concretejim:
Sorry for the hi-jack but this was a question i had recently which i had ansewrd albeit not 100%.

From a o/d perspective, if i was subbing for someone while doing ADR would i need my own DGSA, or would the main contractors DGSA be responsible for “vetting” me?

Hi Jim,

No problem with the hijack. :smiley:

If you’re doing ADR work as a subby, the main contractor is supposed to ‘vet’ you, but the consignor should also ‘vet’ you.

Part of the ‘vetting’ should be a check that YOU (the carrier) have a properly qualified DGSA, and your insurers should ask you to provide proof that you have a properly qualified DGSA in order that they’ll cover you for the carriage of dangerous goods. In my experience, some insurers impose their own restrictions on exactly what they are prepared to cover.

Quite often, a consignor will offer you DGSA ‘cover’ as part of the deal, but although this is quite legal, there are some potential pitfalls around conflicts of interest and the provision of the legally required DGSA reports. A carrier is required to have an annual DGSA report and retain it for a period of not less than 5 years.

To put this in an obvious context… the consignor’s DGSA might tell you that something is OK in order to get a job done, which might then land you in the crap, hence the conflict of interests.

The requirement and specifications for DGSAs is in CDG 2009 (as amended) Reg.5 [UK Law] and ADR 1.8.3.

Dave,
What you said about must display placards for a LQ load over 8T,previous job used to send us to backload 26 6ft pallets of aerosol car paint about 2 hours from the yard.
Asked several office bods about ADR when we got sent and got told “it’s fine off you trot”.
Never did like going to backload it but didn’t do it that often.

Jeff.

i have put the placards on after putting a fine film of Vaseline on the paint, the placard stays put whilst driving but will easily come off and a quick wash off with a wet wipe and a dry soft cloth the paint was ok , (try this in an inconspicuous place first as who knows what water based paint is like these days)

hotel magnum:
i have put the placards on after putting a fine film of Vaseline on the paint, the placard stays put whilst driving but will easily come off and a quick wash off with a wet wipe and a dry soft cloth the paint was ok , (try this in an inconspicuous place first as who knows what water based paint is like these days)

I think that’s what the interweb calls a #TruckinHack. I’ll give that a go at some point.

We rarely run plates on the road, but pretty much always have to on the boats.

I just peel about 1cm back on each corner and dont clean the truck/trailer where the stickers are going on. Come straight of.