A quick hello, and advice on C+E

Hello lads and lasses, like the above I’m looking a bit of advice, I’ve been driving rigid vehicles for the past 3 year and have finally made the leap to artic, I’ve had a few lessons and am up for the test at the end of Jan 2017, everything is going great regarding town and out of town driving, the thing that’s getting me is the reverse, the set up is a volvo unit and trailer at 50ft or more, which is great to drive and I’m comfortable on the road, it’s just when I go to reverse the signal from my brain to my hands seems to get confused, I know in my head what I have to do, but when I go to put it in to action it goes ■■■■ up lol. Does it finally “click”? And any advice would be welcomed. Great forum by the way, I’ve been scanning it for a while, and finally signed up this evening.

Merry Christmas to you all from the superhampton1980

Just keep on at you instructor & yep it will click but remember that when you learn it is totally different to out & about in the real world

I was told to get a toy artic that was detachable drive it round the floor reverse it etc it helps ( ok might sound daft )

Remember right to bend left to mend

Take you time let it all work for you slowly does it also what you turn on the wheel you must take off again

Watch other people reverse & see how they position & turn the steering wheel

Hi mate. This subject obviously comes up a lot on here as I’ve noticed. I guess everyone is different and some take to it sooner than others but I would say (and this is easy to say I know) try and lose the ‘fear’ about reversing, it seems, to me anyway, to be the holy grail of actually being ‘real’ C+E driver if you can slip in anywhere without a shunt or two. Don’t overthink it all, take your time and if you think it’s a grey area at the moment for the test, ask the instructor for more time to practice.

I know a local lad who borrowed a trailer off a mate and hooked it up to his car to practice… I know the geometry is different, but the concept is pretty much the same.

This is not unusual. Is there any particular part of the exercise that is an issue? Or is it all of it?

I’d like to help but need to know where to start!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Blind side went well, well, better than reversing from my side which I thought wouldn’t be a problem, I just kept turning the steering the wrong way, and being to sharp when I did, I’m sure time will heal it, I suppose everything can’t be perfect and instructors need something to work on with the pupil. Maybe it’s more reasurence I’m after peter, like I said in the opening post everything is going good maybe it’s time that’s needed lol

OK, here comes the reassurance! You’re not on your own with this and you’re not doing anything odd. A simple way to ensure you turn the wheel the correct way is to a) look at which way the trailer is going and b) steer the same way. Once you’ve got it round B cone this will solve most of the problems. Clearly there is judgment involved. Just go steady with the wheel but if you’re not getting the reaction from the trailer you want after a few seconds, turn some more. To take the bend out takes a lot more effort than putting the bend there to start with.

I could go on and on but don’t wish to confuse you. But try what I’ve said and you may well find it helps.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Do you know anyone with a caravan who will let you practice for a while :question:

That might sound daft but the principals are the same

try this game where you can see how the wheels turn = mostfungames.com/caravan-parking.htm

Cheers guys, much appreciated

A simple technique for me was to consider which way the bottom of the steering wheel is going - that will tell you which way the trailer will go. For example, turn the wheel clockwise and the bottom is going left, so your trailer will start to swing to the left.

Once it clicks you won’t need to think about it very often, you will just ‘feel’ your way through the reverse by instinct. Until then I’m afraid it is just a case of practice and repetition until the magic day when it suddenly clicks (for me, it was genuinely that sudden).

For the test, you will probably be able to do the manoeuvre in a more choreographed way because all the distances are standard and precisely measured.

Yes it does click after a while mate, almost too much! :open_mouth:
And by that I mean that without a trailer on, you start reversing in the wrong direction… :laughing:

Evil8Beezle:
And by that I mean that without a trailer on, you start reversing in the wrong direction… :laughing:

:laughing:

i was told to take the bend out you turn towards the mirror you can see more of the trailer in.

having said that i struggle like theres no tomorrow to reverse only using the mirrors. unless i do the firsst 95% with my head out the window i cant do it.

starting position is the key though. try and get the kink in the wagon before you have even put it in reverse. that way most of the job is done.

for a blind side ( and bear in mind ive only been doing it 18 months so am certainly no expert) my advice is get rhe kink sorted as with a right side then use the headboard as a guide to judge what angle the arseend is at.

but the key is practice man. let us know how you get on

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

ORC:
A simple technique for me was to consider which way the bottom of the steering wheel is going - that will tell you which way the trailer will go. For example, turn the wheel clockwise and the bottom is going left, so your trailer will start to swing to the left.

Once it clicks you won’t need to think about it very often, you will just ‘feel’ your way through the reverse by instinct. Until then I’m afraid it is just a case of practice and repetition until the magic day when it suddenly clicks (for me, it was genuinely that sudden).

For the test, you will probably be able to do the manoeuvre in a more choreographed way because all the distances are standard and precisely measured.

Ive seen this advice somewhere else and was probably you again ORC. This for me is the best advice ive seen on this topic and I will be using this for my tests. It keeps the theory behind the manoeuvre very simple indeed.

chainmailguy:
i was told to take the bend out you turn towards the mirror you can see more of the trailer in.

having said that i struggle like theres no tomorrow to reverse only using the mirrors. unless i do the firsst 95% with my head out the window i cant do it.

starting position is the key though. try and get the kink in the wagon before you have even put it in reverse. that way most of the job is done.

for a blind side ( and bear in mind ive only been doing it 18 months so am certainly no expert) my advice is get rhe kink sorted as with a right side then use the headboard as a guide to judge what angle the arseend is at.

but the key is practice man. let us know how you get on

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

My test is mid February so I’ve a bit of time to get my head around it, I’m sure I’ll crack it, or it will crack me lol.

You will be fine mate, just heed the advice of your trainer and remember that you won’t get a gold star for doing the reverse fast. Slow and steady is the way forward. Sorry I mean backwards! Lol And if you go slow you’ll have time to correct if you start steering the wrong way…

sent via phone

I find its easier to steer the trailer. It sounds daft but it makes the most sense to me when I’m actually doing it. That being said, I’m still not that great. Tonight I had this place. SCA Ashton in Makersfield. Less room than you think plus very narrow bays. Took me 5 attempts to get it straight.

just to make you feel better i flattened about 4 cones learning to reverse a rigid :unamused: god knows what ill be like in a bendy wagon lol.

Evil8Beezle:

It’s harder to reverse solo than with a trailer on , stupid as when you get in your car you don’t have a problem :smiley: