A quick ADR question

Hi,

I had a pallet on today, which I think came under ADR - I didn’t see the paperwork until I got to my drop point, and then read it with a sense of disbelief. It was 32 plastic kegs, each of 22.4kgs, of Ammonium Hydroxide (UN2672, EEC 215-647-6). It was noted on the paperwork as Class 8, PGIII, and came with a red Dangerous Goods notice (hence my suspicions!). Would this have been under limited quantities, or was this the full works?

Either way, I’m not going to lose any sleep over this one, but would like to know for the future.

Also, is a sender obliged to make you aware in any other way other than just sticking a pallet on board in amongst a load of other groupage, and hoping you read all the paperwork other than just the delivery manifest? Just so I’m aware for the future!

Thanks

Gary

scaniason:
Hi,

I had a pallet on today, which I think came under ADR - I didn’t see the paperwork until I got to my drop point, and then read it with a sense of disbelief. It was 32 plastic kegs, each of 22.4kgs, of Ammonium Hydroxide (UN2672, EEC 215-647-6). It was noted on the paperwork as Class 8, PGIII, and came with a red Dangerous Goods notice (hence my suspicions!). Would this have been under limited quantities, or was this the full works?

Either way, I’m not going to lose any sleep over this one, but would like to know for the future.

Also, is a sender obliged to make you aware in any other way other than just sticking a pallet on board in amongst a load of other groupage, and hoping you read all the paperwork other than just the delivery manifest? Just so I’m aware for the future!

Thanks

Gary

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the UN number and package size, that was a great help. :wink:

The load you carried works out like this:

UN 2672 AMMONIA SOLUTION, 8, PGIII is in ADR Transport Category (TC) 3.

The ‘freebie’ (small load exemption) limit for ADR TC 3 is 1,000 Kg/Lit.

You had 32 kegs (drums??) each containing 22.4Kg, so 32 X 22.4 = 716.8, which is within the 1,000 limit.

The consignor (= sender) is under an obligation to inform the carrier (= owner of the vehicle) that he’s going to load dangerous goods. Maybe he did, maybe your boss didn’t tell you… who knows?

This is nothing to do with Limited Quantities (LQs,) which is a completely different exemption.
The ida of LQs is it’s to do with the kind of dangerous goods packaged in little packages of the sort that a person can buy in a retail shop. A 22.4Kg ‘keg’ will never fit that description.

:bulb: The largest possible LQ receptacle size for UN 2672 is 5 L, so your load was never going to be an LQ load.

All you needed for this job was an ADR compliant 2Kg dry powder fire-extinguisher, and NOTHING else.

Brilliant, thanks Dave.

I’ve got 2 x 6kg dry powder extinguishers on the vehicle, so all covered for that. As it was under the 1000kg limit, does this also mean that you don’t need orange placards either?

Apparently I’m going to do an ADR course shortly, so I’ll hopefully know a bit more after that. Is there any material (recommended!) on the web that I can start reading up on now, or does it all need an instructor to explain & interpret it?

Thanks

Gary

scaniason:
Brilliant, thanks Dave.

I’ve got 2 x 6kg dry powder extinguishers on the vehicle, so all covered for that. As it was under the 1000kg limit, does this also mean that you don’t need orange placards either?

Hi Gary,

No mate, you needed NOTHING else, … honest!! :smiley:

scaniason:
Apparently I’m going to do an ADR course shortly, so I’ll hopefully know a bit more after that. Is there any material (recommended!) on the web that I can start reading up on now, or does it all need an instructor to explain & interpret it?

You nothing to worry about on that score. :wink:

All you’re doing is gaining the qualification to carry dangerous goods, you’re not there to learn how to apply the Regs, cos that’s the boss’ job.
:bulb: In the UK, an employed driver is responsible for very little when it comes to ADR work, so please rest easy.

Do you know where you’ll do your ADR course yet?

dieseldave:
Do you know where you’ll do your ADR course yet?

I can’t remember who he said it was with - I know it’s the same guy who does the DGSA part for our company, but can’t remember his name. I’ll see the boss in the morning, so when I jog his memory about the course, I’ll check to see who it’s with.

Thanks again for your help

Gary