A question ...............

Just a quick question (or 2) to throw out to the wise amongst you.

Son in Law has been approached by a local firm that make and also repair horseboxes (big posh ones that house upto 6 people and 4 horses)
They want an occasional driver to deliver/pick up horseboxes (and a hire car will always be waiting the other end for him to come back in)

He was wondering about the legal side of things, so;

1. would the firm need an O licence to move horseboxes?
  2. are taco’s / digicards legally needed to drive horseboxes?

Regarding the tacho question I’m sure they would be required as its business and not personal use.

Judging by that assumption I’d of thought an o licence would be needed too.

I used to deliver and collect trucks all over UK. You don’t need an O licence to manufacture, sell or repair trucks and then deliver or test them afterwards. We got many different versions of the laws from different people, even had two coppers arguing with each other almost to the point of getting physical. We ended up running tacho’s just to satisfy anyone who stopped us en-route. Then they went in the bin if it was a sales truck or given to the owner if it was a repair so they had no missing mileage. Yes, I know all about the 28 days, but it got bloody complicated trying to remember who owns which truck and the postage was expensive.

Mate paints a good few Horse box’s …

He collects/delivers them on his trade plates…no tacho’s…

Thanks ever so for the replies, much appreciated.