A question for the spud shifters

What do you do when you load at a farm, and they haven’t got a weighbridge? Just spoken to a driver from a well known potato haulier at the crisp factory in park royal. He went 45170 on the bridge and was laughing; saying 48 up is when he gets worried. He said it’s all guess work. No potato farms have got bridges. I’ve tipped and loaded reefer boxes at 6 different farms in different parts of the country and they all had bridges. I wouldn’t be happy to load if there wasn’t a bridge on site, or a public one near by.

Decent hauliers provide tippers with onboard weighing. Even if the farm hasn’t got a bridge though, you’re supposed to go to the nearest public weighbridge and get a check and then go back and offload if needed. “There wasn’t a weighbridge officer” will not save you from a hefty fine 100 miles from the collection.

Conor:
Decent hauliers provide tippers with onboard weighing. Even if the farm hasn’t got a bridge though, you’re supposed to go to the nearest public weighbridge and get a check and then go back and offload if needed. “There wasn’t a weighbridge officer” will not save you from a hefty fine 100 miles from the collection.

In addition a lot (should be all of them) of tater farmers want to see how much of their product is loaded and paid for at the other end - there are still some unscrupulous companies who would short change the weight.

IMHO - get it weighed for your own sake, overloading is a serious fine and a prohibition until it’s right, plus it puts you in the little black book that Traffic Commissioners keep in the desk draw for future reference.

I find that 21 boxes o’spuds is the max.
22 puts it (with the popemobile, anyway) at about 44,800 kgs. :open_mouth: