A question for the ladies

and maybe also the blokes.
More than a few times when I ring about a job advertised I get asked the question “is it for yourself?” when I say yes I get told sorry the position has been filled. Lund Conlon were actually nice enough to tell me that I was a woman and I wouldn’t be able to do the job. Does anyone else get this or am I being paranoid?

caz:
. Lund Conlon were actually nice enough to tell me that I was a woman and I wouldn’t be able to do the job. Does anyone else get this or am I being paranoid?

Isnt that illegal, ■■■■■■ discrimination, how do they know you are unable to do the job, there are very few jobs that are exempt from these discrimination rules

yeah but I didn’t record the phone call and I figured I’d have a hard time proving it. But on the plus side they were still advertising the job 2 months later then about 3 months after that it was advertised again :smiling_imp: serves them right

I would have thought that was illegal too. I WAS once asked if I was phoning on behalf of myself - I replied “No, I’m phoning for my lazy ■■■ neighbour coz I’m sick of him doing nothing all day!”
Didn’t get an interview for that one…

caz:
yeah but I didn’t record the phone call and I figured I’d have a hard time proving it. But on the plus side they were still advertising the job 2 months later then about 3 months after that it was advertised again :smiling_imp: serves them right

Probably did you a favour then, still would have been fun to watch them squirm if you had recorded the call :smiley:

toowise:

caz:

Probably did you a favour then, still would have been fun to watch them squirm if you had recorded the call :smiley:

I would have called back when they re-advertised, when asked if the job was for me, say yes but if you had taken me first time I called rather than be sexist you wouldnt be re-advertising.

The Sarge:
I would have thought that was illegal too. I WAS once asked if I was phoning on behalf of myself - I replied “No, I’m phoning for my lazy ■■■ neighbour coz I’m sick of him doing nothing all day!”
Didn’t get an interview for that one…

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

toowise:

caz:
. Lund Conlon were actually nice enough to tell me that I was a woman and I wouldn’t be able to do the job. Does anyone else get this or am I being paranoid?

Isnt that illegal, ■■■■■■ discrimination, how do they know you are unable to do the job, there are very few jobs that are exempt from these discrimination rules

I haven’t changed job for over 7 years now, but I have had it in the past. The best one told me the job was filled and then offered it to Rik when he rang up an hour later to catch them out. :unamused:

Yes, it is illegal, but like all discrimination laws, actually proving these things have happened is a whole other ballgame. The Disability Discrimination Act is the same, it gets broken all the time for the same reasons. They’re a fabulous idea in theory, but as much use as a chocolate kettle in practice. :confused: