A question for the container experts on here

Morning People
I hope someone here can help me out a little.
We have just received a shipment of a very delicate piece of equipment (large, one off only in a 20’ container).
The environment recorder show some big shocks in excess of the allowed levels during the journey (if you want the full details, I can share them).
My questions relate to the position on the trailer and twistlocks

1. Does positioning the box over the rear axle give the contents a smoother ride? Or is the middle of the trailer better? Or by the headboard?
  2. Do twistlocks wear out or loose efficiency? Or the container even?
  3. And finally, is there a required torque for tightening a twistlock?

We had a long “discussion” this morning and no-one could answer these questions. Yes, we have asked the company for details, but I am sure the Trucknet Massive will get me a quicker answer.
Thanks
Paul

PS in a light hearted moment, perhaps we could run some experiments with people inside and ask them afterwards?

perhaps we could run some experiments with people inside and ask them afterwards?

Only if they come from the planners office :smiley:

Can’t say much about where you position the box but at least try to avoid most of the pot holes.

Radar19:
Can’t say much about where you position the box but at least try to avoid most of the pot holes.

Hi Radar
I agree, but the European leg of the journey showed no events, but the last bit over here showed a rough ride.
The only difference is the position of the container (over the axle in the EU and in the middle here)

Over here they are limited to 50kph for the entire journey.

Cheers
Paul

38 deg C and 'kin hot

Certainly not an expert - but might the difference be due to air suspension v steel springs?

Roymondo:
Certainly not an expert - but might the difference be due to air suspension v steel springs?

Hi Roymondo
Confirmed all trucks use airbags.
Cheers
Paul

Roymondo:
might the difference be due to air suspension v steel springs?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand cue 7 pages of the detailed working of the steel/air sprung suspension systems and arguing about which is better.

We sub-contract the transport and define airbag trailers.
I know it is an interesting subject, does not help where to put a container and how to secure it.
Cheers
Paul

Doesn’t matter where on the trailer it is nor how tight the twistlocks are. What matters is the overall weight of the container. The heavier it is the smoother the ride.

If its a light object in a container and you want a smooth ride on UK roads then you need to run weight. Even specifying sticking to main routes is not going to stop a light load in the UK experiencing some bone jarring points in its journey as pretty much every road is knackered.

How do you limit them to 50KPH for the UK leg? Unless the journey is carried out excluding national speed limits you’re pretty much requiring the driver to break the law. You can’t go around doing 50KPH on DCs and Motorways without an ■■■■■■ and police permission especially on motorways.

You’re asking the wrong questions :laughing: , albeit very politely.

You may have not seen the state of our roads. The driver gives it big licks over rough terrain/ speed bumps at the port, smacks it over moon scape potholes in a truckstop. Smacks it over a a few more potholes out on the roads, ploughs over a few railways crossings at 56 :laughing: . There’s your answer, not twist locks wearing out. It wasn’t a wedding cake I hope :laughing:

Conor:
Doesn’t matter where on the trailer it is nor how tight the twistlocks are. What matters is the overall weight of the container. The heavier it is the smoother the ride.

Thanks Conor, I will bring this up in the morning. Total weight, container and contents is 6.2t (5t for container and 1.2t for the bit inside), one container per truck.

Conor:
how do you limit them to 50KPH for the UK leg?

Agreed, we have a police ■■■■■■ for the final leg and get given a detailed readout of truck speed at the end of the journey.

But it’s not in the UK… French Guiana in South America. It’s a tough job. Really, one day off in four weeks, but £££££.

Have a great evening guys, back here later

Paul

First thing, I’m no expert, but if it’s that sensitive I wouldn’t put it on a skeletal at all. The way they twist and bang when you turn is sure to transmit some shock waves. If you are going to I would put it in the middle.
The answer to question two is yes, the twistlocks wear and need replacing from time to time. The container can get damaged where the twistlocks fit but not often.
Question three makes me think you’ve never seen a twistlock of understand how they work, I would suggest googling it. Then like the rest of us you will wonder why they work at all. No they don’t need torqueing

What are the road conditions like in French Guiana?

20 ft container that light should be on a 2/3 axle rigid, air sprung all round, will have coach quality ride.

Knight2, correct, never used one that’s why I asked. I’m suffering with a crap internet here, I’ll do some googling later when everyone has gone out for dinner.

Ovlov, bit like roads in Wales, some good bits, some rough. Mostly straight, four roudabouts in 60km.

Juddian, I will find the transport pictures in the morning to confirm.

The holes in the containers look ok, not damaged. The contractor is getting us some pictures of the trailer twistlock.

Cheers
Paul

sonflowerinwales:
European leg of the journey showed no events, but the last bit over here showed a rough ride.
The only difference is the position of the container (over the axle in the EU and in the middle here)

sonflowerinwales:
Ovlov, bit like roads in Wales, some good bits, some rough. Mostly straight, four roudabouts in 60km.

Cheers
Paul

I would suggest that if that was loaded in the UK (wales) then if had been on an artic, it would have been in the middle, unless you know otherwise. Standard UK skeletal trailers these days are whats known as sliding skellies. If you have googled EU skeletal 20’ trailer, then that would indeed show a 20’ container riding over the rear bogie, with lower height restriction on the continent, they have developed a slightly different design of skeletal trailer for container work, The UK allows for the use of taller trailers, so we have a different development of skeletal trailer where the container sit higher. The sliding skeletal trailer, has become the standard skelly in use with most container hauliers, because it allows you to position a heavy 20’ box in the middle of the trailer for better weight distribution across the whole articulated “rig”, in fact, the DVSA almost require any lone 20’ box loaded or empty to be carried in the center mounted position.

I would be asking what conditions the road surface is, between port and destination, if you are certain the haulier has complied with all your requirements.

Where’s that picture of the kiddy’s pedal car on the low loader trailer? sounds a similar situation.

Loaded Holland and taken to Luxembourg.
Flight to French Guiana.
Loaded Cayenne and taken to Kourou.

The EU leg was mostly ok, once it got here then the shocks were seen.

Going to have a close look at the inside of the container in the morning.

Cav551, I know the one you mean…

Cheers
Paul

Sorry I missed the post about where you were. Twist click into place and aren’t a tight fit. I’ve just spent half an hour looking through my albums looking for a photo of one to no avail. Searching the net wasn’t much help either.

Juddian:
20 ft container that light should be on a 2/3 axle rigid, air sprung all round, will have coach quality ride.

3 axle to fit length wise. Over hang with 6.2t will put a lot of weight onto the single axle. My 26t is 32 ft, so easily fit the container (if it weren’t for the curtains :unamused:

Certainly smoother than an artic. But you try finding a professional driver willing to lower himself to the level of 2 steps up to the cab… :laughing: