A puzzle what and going where?

this popped up in my facebook feed tuther day causing much discusion there and on railway forums as to what where and when we know its a loco for export to australia minus its bogies traveling under Mumps railway bridge at Oldham towards yorkshire any body got any clues to from where it originated and it eventual destination also the hauliers etc?

thanks in advance keith

The company is Wynn’s, a well respected heavy haulage company back then.

The tractor unit might be a Diamond T. A demobbed American Army tank transporter tractor, frequently used for civvy heavy haulage after the war up to the 60s.

It appears to be a Class 46 , electric locomotive for New South Wales , & was built at Stockton on Tees ,in the works of Metropolitan Vickers / Beyer Peacock Bowesfield works .

As they were built between 56 & 58 , this will narrow date down .

I’m guessing…Liverpool docks…for export. No M62 in those days and the A62 was the route from the N East. Down towards Manchester, turn right at Failsworth and make its way to the East Lancs Rd.

hiya…it would be a steady drive from Stockton down the A19 through Thirsk down the A1 through Weatherby into the middle of Leeds
down the A62 into Huddersfield over the top and into Oldham …Ashton straight through Manchester along Regent road maybe go the
A57 Warrington…to Liverpool i don’t know if the A580 was a good road in the early 60,s…anyone know where it was constructed …well
well 1Jth july 1934, it was the first city to city fast route ever built…(i just googled it)so i suppose the train would have done the A580…
John

info so far from local and railway forums is that it is heading east from Manchester to stockton where it will be united with its bogies before going on to Austrailia the picture certainly looks that way heading out of Oldham ather than in

thanks for the info so far much appreciated

Possible , but here is another link , to a website , showing unloading from ship on arrival , in exactly the same state as it is on back of transporter , without bogies . :wink: