A pull from vosa today

nomiS36:

jamieh1990:
I keep passing them on the a17 on my way towards Sleaford. Not been stopped yet but they were stood there like bouncers at the entrance.

Is the guy that looks like captain birds eye with binoculars still there? I’ve not seen them there for ages.

I’m not too sure, he wire glasses, pretty short. What happens if you get an infringement and they stop you? A fine?

jamieh1990:

nomiS36:

jamieh1990:
I keep passing them on the a17 on my way towards Sleaford. Not been stopped yet but they were stood there like bouncers at the entrance.

Is the guy that looks like captain birds eye with binoculars still there? I’ve not seen them there for ages.

I’m not too sure, he wire glasses, pretty short. What happens if you get an infringement and they stop you? A fine?

depends on the infringement and how bad or how many times you’ve done it, I got two fines totalling £500 for 3 daily rest infringements, I still ‘rested’ for a good 12hours+ in between duties but due to my own fault in misinterpreting the rules I still did a day which was worth more than 15 hours…I was fooled by thinking that because I got many hours rest ‘during’ the day I was ok, totally misunderstood that 15 hours is from the minute you start working regardless of how many hours you rest ‘during’ the duty/day…so for example started work at 4am, I should have clocked off at 19:00 latest, however as I got 5+ hrs worth of rest during the day (one of which was over 2.5 hours rest and the others were of 1hr each in between jobs) I thought it was ok to stop working at 20:30hrs…so it was 16hrs 30 minutes in reality but to me it was not as I thought that all the hours rest were compensating somehow…I know my mistake now!

anyway, all my 3 infringements were same type and they gave me fixed penalties equalling £500.

I guess if I went over by say 5 or 10 minutes they may have issued a caution or a smaller fine, didn’t ask them, but to the rules it was 1.5 hours over so…

edited to insert URL

Is an overspeed classed as an infringement? I know I’ve got one or two of those [emoji85]

I’ve never had a problem, be polite, they are just doing their job.

My only ever issue with them was when they pulled one of ours and wouldn’t accept his written entries for work done in a van, the VOSA man claimed the driver should have downloaded every day as a manual entry. Driver ended up with an enforced 9 hours rest. :frowning:

We checked with the RHA and Backhouse Jones solicitors and the way in which we record our non tacho hours is fine and legal.

I was rather annoyed about that, it messed my job about and we had the hassle of proving that we were right and having to send off to the TC so we didn’t end up with a black mark on our O licence.

jamieh1990:
Is an overspeed classed as an infringement? I know I’ve got one or two of those [emoji85]

Depends on your attitude, have never had any questions about overspeeds always have plenty on the head but never been mentioned, on the continent I believe it is somewhat different and so ensure there are no overspeeds when out there.

jamieh1990:

You can miss that “ministry stop” near Sleaford by turning off the A17 and going through Cranwell :bulb:
I used to do it regularly :wink:

AndrewG:

jamieh1990:

Brought back memories when back in the UK a couple of weeks back, the big layby with the scales. The Cheerio Cafe was always rammed with fully freighted (and some) the days VOSA were there…some sat there for hours… :grimacing:

That just brought Back some memories aswell. Back in the ninety’s when I thought taco’s where advisory’s :slight_smile: , When heading back home to Norfolk, everyone was on CB’s warning you that the weighbridge is open, so I use to turn off at cranfield airbase and nip through to the A15 and head to Sleaford that way :slight_smile: The things you use to do to earn a living as a o/d. :laughing:

axletramp:

jamieh1990:

You can miss that “ministry stop” near Sleaford by turning off the A17 and going through Cranwell :bulb:

axletramp, just as bad as me :laughing: :laughing:

axletramp:

jamieh1990:

Being new on the roads round that end ill have to have a look on the map. [emoji106]

jamieh1990:

axletramp:

jamieh1990:

Being new on the roads round that end ill have to have a look on the map. [emoji106]

Turn left off the A17 towards the airbase entrance straight through to the A15 turn left follow through to roundabout on A17 at Sleaford, Haven’t Done that route for 15yrs but what I remember only added less than 10mins to the journey.

albion:
I’ve never had a problem, be polite, they are just doing their job.

My only ever issue with them was when they pulled one of ours and wouldn’t accept his written entries for work done in a van, the VOSA man claimed the driver should have downloaded every day as a manual entry. Driver ended up with an enforced 9 hours rest. :frowning:

We checked with the RHA and Backhouse Jones solicitors and the way in which we record our non tacho hours is fine and legal.

I was rather annoyed about that, it messed my job about and we had the hassle of proving that we were right and having to send off to the TC so we didn’t end up with a black mark on our O licence.

I wonder what happened to the official who mistakenly accused you/your driver of bad practice? You weren’t offered a head on a plate at all?
I’ve rarely had dealings with VOSA, and have no complaints against them.
When dealng with the French one official said, whilst he was analysing my tacho card,
“You didn’t book off before tsking out your card. This won’t be shown as a break now”! Can’t see many in the UK saying that.
Re overspeeds,
I had a couple of minor infringements at a roadside control, but they said “we can see there’s only a couple of problems and YOU HAVEN’ T BEEN SPEEDING so we’ll do nothing”. If I’d had loads of over speeds?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

As i run on BG plates, i am more likely to get pulled than any other, however they are surprised, when i speak english, let alone drive a RHD…but i always greet them as one should, and they return the complimebnt…i run 100% so never a problem there, and the vehicles are as they should be…of course they can always find a fault in a brand new first day out vehicle if they so wished…the last time i was pulled everything was spot on, they just wanted a quick look in the back…then found my bags of china clay wasnt strapped, i had loaded in the south of france, and they never, nor would have moved a quarter of an inch…but they know best dont they lol…so after i strapped every two bags the length of the trailer…they relieved me of £100…to be paid later ( as i was english with english documents and address )…but all carried out with a smile.

Heisenberrg:
VOSA…surely I am not the only driver that has a letter from my GP confirming that I am suffering from advanced Tourette’s Syndrome…

I have never been stopped by VOSA but I am very much looking forward to it…

ive been stuck by a similar condition to the effect i have a t shirt to prove it.
just use your skill and imagination to fill in the missing word… :wink:

tourettes t shirt.jpg