A personal greeting from Michelin

Hi Bibendum, Is inflating truck tyres dangerous. They make a big bang when they blow. I hate squatting next to them, filling to 120lb/psi. Should cages be compulsory? Should we be metric and think in terms of megapascals per square parsec? :open_mouth:

Euro:
Hi Bibendum, Is inflating truck tyres dangerous. They make a big bang when they blow. I hate squatting next to them, filling to 120lb/psi. Should cages be compulsory? Should we be metric and think in terms of megapascals per square parsec? :open_mouth:

I also wonder the same - if I get a tyre fitted to a wheel at an ATS depot they insist on using an inflation cage, but when fitting tyres at our yard the ATS van doesn’t have a cage and the fitter is quite happy leaning against the tyre eating a bacon butty while inflating it.

first of all welcome to the forum

second thing is where can i get a michelin man ■■?

I would guess that ATS and the other tyre fitting companies do have a work safe policy and guidelines,
I do know that its a lot safer nowadays we dont use split ring wheels, I would probably be happy inflating a modern tyre outside a cage but certainly wouldn’t sit on it :slight_smile:

I have seen a spilt ring go Bang while being inflated and they should never be inflated outside a cage

I think it’s exceptionally rare for a brand new tyre to let go on inflation but I still wouldn’t get complacent. I don’t personally ever bother with a tyre cage but most are just a big metal hoop type thing that don’t actually make it totally safe if you’re still daft enough to stand by the side of the tyre. They’re most likely to go when they’ve been run flat or are part worn of unknown pedigree so they’re the ones to be particularly wary of.

I would always use an inflator that allowed me to stand a good few metres away from any truck tyre I was ever inflating and you need to make sure you’re standing facing the tread and not the sidewall as it’s the sidewalls that let go and is where the danger is.

I tend to test inflate without the valve core in to full pressure, then disconnect the inflator and allow about half the air out and put the valve core in and then I put the wheel back on with around 60psi or less in the tyre. I prefer for there to be much less pressure in the tyre while I’m handling it in such close proximity but I suspect this would be over-cautious and time consuming for full time tyre fitters.

Michelin Truck UK:
A personal greeting from Michelin
We’d usually start a message like this with a ‘Welcome to the Owner and Fleet Operators Forum’, but given we’re the newbies, that doesn’t seem appropriate!
Here at Michelin’s HQ in Stoke-on-Trent, we have been following this forum with interest for months, and we’re pleased to announce we’ve come on board as sponsors.

Importantly, nothing is going to change in how this forum operates; except we hope you’ll welcome the Michelin Man ‘look’ which Rikki has produced for us.
We also want to point out we’re not here to flood the forum with threads about tyres. Of course, at times throughout the year there will hopefully be some interesting news we’ll want to share with you or seek your valuable feedback on, and if you want to ask us any tyre-related questions along the way then we’ll be happy to answer…

But first and foremost, we value the hard work that small fleets and owner drivers do in keeping Britain rolling, particularly in the current economic climate, and we hope our sponsorship will support the conversations you enjoy here online.

been in haulage 22year and will never put another michelin on any of my trucks trls car even . bought a new rover sport last year first question what tyres ■■?

your sales people tell lies and your product never goes wrong !!! ha

your right to advertise on here but dont be deleting posts your welcome to come and discuss these issues with me .but dont come and bullshi t had quite enough of that

What tyres do you manufacture that would be good for extreme grip in mud/ field conditions, got stuck again today :unamused:

You dont look very stuck :slight_smile: surely thats fairly hard standing your on?

I am not being impolite or making any insinuations, but what is your driving technique when approaching or driving in a limited grip situation, and what do you do if you start to spin the wheels?, If you are stuck but get a bit of forward movement how do you keep that momentum going?
On the photo you have I guess about 1.75 tonne, on the neck(maybe 2) but the tag axles not lifted- can it not lift on the Scania ( i know my tag axle plated at 80 tonne did )

As I said nothing is meant as any criticism - just if we know how you approach these situations we can see if we can offer any help

puntabrava:
What tyres do you manufacture that would be good for extreme grip in mud/ field conditions, got stuck again today :unamused:

Sat nav failure ? :slight_smile:

Rikki-UK:
You dont look very stuck :slight_smile: surely thats fairly hard standing your on?

I am not being impolite or making any insinuations, but what is your driving technique when approaching or driving in a limited grip situation, and what do you do if you start to spin the wheels?, If you are stuck but get a bit of forward movement how do you keep that momentum going?
On the photo you have I guess about 1.75 tonne, on the neck(maybe 2) but the tag axles not lifted- can it not lift on the Scania ( i know my tag axle plated at 80 tonne did )

As I said nothing is meant as any criticism - just if we know how you approach these situations we can see if we can offer any help

Well it wouldnt go backwards or forwards and the tag wouldnt lift, i presumed the weight of the truck was stopping it? the front wheels were on a hard standing but the back were in a muddy gateway, and no i wouldnt have the first clue about lorrys, i freely admit it :laughing: on saying that i have had the spreader towing it stuck too, and thats 5 wheel drive :smiley: . We have had straw lorrys into fields that are on different treaded tyres and some go anywhere and others wont move.

dar1976:

puntabrava:

Sat nav failure ? :slight_smile:

No, just couldnt be bothered to track the 360 a mile up the track, so unloaded it on the track and turned in the field but couldnt get out :blush:

Euro:

Interesting ATS training video on tyre explosions here. I learned something from this, you get advance warning that a tyre explosion is about to happen because of a “popping” sound coming from the tyre as the metal plies start snapping.

puntabrava:

What dimension of tyre are you running at present? Your final choice of tyre might be limited by the gearing and tacho set up of your vehicle. Here are some possibilities you might like to explore.

If the vehicle is fitted with low profile tyres, 70 or 60 series then there is a limited amount that can be done as the range of tyres in these dimensions is tuned to long distance, road work. However, an M+S marked drive pattern tyre, the same type across the drive axle, with at least 5mm remaining tread pattern depth, correctly inflated for your normal axle loads is a good start.

If the tyres are 295 or 315/ 80 R 22.5 then there is more choice. Our advice would be to look at the Michelin X Works range, in particular the drive axle range.

If you can change dimension, then the following will be even better off road, 11 R 22.5 XDY3, 12 R 22.5 XDY3 and finally, the best would be 13 R 22.5 XZL.

These tyres will almost certainly improve your off road performance but it may be that tyre life on road is a little less. Tyre choice is about balancing the needs of the operation, if you can’t get to where you are needed then the balance needs to shift a little.

Certainly I would advise that you should consult your vehicle dealer before changing tyre dimension. Of course if you change drive tyre pattern or dimension then you will need to consider fitting appropriate tyres on the other axles of the vehicle. Another important consideration is inflation pressure. If you do decide on any of the above then let us know and we can suggest a suitable steer tyre to match the drive performance and we will be able to suggest suitable inflation pressures for your operation based on your axle loads, so just let us know.

Euro:

The inflation of tyres is a detailed topic and there is some good advice on this topic in British Standards documentation. Let’s try to explain the main points from the start, the tyre fitting stage.

It is very important that the tyre which is to be fitted is in serviceable condition. This must be verified by a trained tyre professional and the tyre fitting process must be carried out by a similarly capable individual.

Once fitted, the tyre should be inflated to approximately 15 psi and then checked for seating on the rim, unusual deformations, leakages etc. If it is OK at this stage, the tyre and wheel assembly should be placed in a safety device, such as a cage, and inflated to its working pressure as determined by the tyre manufacturer. The assembly should not be left and the inflator should not be rigged to inflate the tyre automatically. Constant vigilance is necessary during this phase to detect any unusual circumstances. If there is any doubt about the condition of the tyre and wheel assembly, it should be immediately deflated and the situation investigated and rectified.

Once on the vehicle, tyre inflation pressures should be monitored regularly. Any change or loss of pressure should be investigated. Michelin has produced a Technical Bulletin that describes a suggested decision making process if a loss of tyre inflation pressure is detected during service. If you would like a copy of our Technical Bulletin on this issue, please let us know.

In addition to the above information, the inflation hose between the inflator and the tyre should be at least 3m in length to enable the operator to stand in line with the tread of the tyre when inflating. Never stand in front of the wheel when inflating a tyre.

Hope this helps.

Harry Monk:

Euro:

Interesting ATS training video on tyre explosions here. I learned something from this, you get advance warning that a tyre explosion is about to happen because of a “popping” sound coming from the tyre as the metal plies start snapping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=294Wu6O0uW0

1:08 in that is a very good example of what I was saying about not assuming a tyre cage is an answer to all your safety issues most designs, which are similar to that one, are a waste of money in my view.

I wonder if Michelin do telehandler tyres which might be useful for someone always looking to keep the accountants (accountants eh, what are they like? :unamused: ) and bank manager happy. :laughing:

Harry Monk:

Euro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=294Wu6O0uW0

the last couple of sentences in that vid are one of the main reasons i won’t have super singles on the front axle of the truck :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

welcome aboard.

Ricki mentioned over cutting of tyres, what is your verdict on this one chaps?

It appears to have been a good ship spoilt by ha’porth of tar.

Tyre Cutting.jpg

And if you were not convinced by those, what about these?

Tyre 3.jpg

Tyre 2.jpg

Where can I get the tyre pressure stickers that you see on wheel arches of fleet trucks?