A parents nightmare

Coach crash in France…bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-36874718

There seems to be at least one every year .

Anyone who has ever been to France would have seen how they drive, it comes as no surprise to me whatsoever, my first and last coach trip in France was from Charles DeGaul to Disneyland and a Hollywood stuntman could not have done the journey quicker.

If you’re crossing the street and the light changes they drive directly at you and drive flat out everywhere for no apparent reason, they make Londoners look like parish priests.

Wasn’t this a British coach though ? Surely more professional! What happened to the one that ended in a ditch a few years ago and the one that crashed in a tunnel ?

My most recent coach experience was from kings cross to Luton the driver tail gated everything in his path ,he was in and out of top gear or half gear what ever it was constantly .

Do British coaches still have British drivers on the whole? :question:

Winseer:
Do British coaches still have British drivers on the whole? :question:

Yes

I’ve done more of these double man overnight runs to Spain and Italy than I care to remember and they can be so hard. Rarely do you get to sleep during the day before the late afternoon/evening departure and once 2/3am rolls around and you’re the only one awake driving down an empty motorway it can be tough to stay alert.

It’s always seemed a bit odd to me that sheep, pigs and cows on their way to be slaughtered are legally entitled to better overnight rests than the human being sat up the front. As the OP said this sort of thing does seem to happen at least once a year. Fingers crossed those injured pull through ok.

A few years back went by coach to Germany for the Christmas markets. Left Yorkshire in the small hours, Dover to Calais, through Belgium and arrived at the hotel about 6 p.m.

It struck me at the time this was a long day with only the ferry as a break for the guy other than 15 minute comfort stops.

Punchy Dan:
My most recent coach experience was from kings cross to Luton the driver tail gated everything in his path ,he was in and out of top gear or half gear what ever it was constantly .

I’ve seen plenty of coach drivers sitting on the bumper on either the truck or car in front of them, with kids on board too. It seems that the coach industry has its fair share of bumbling idiots.

it was reported on the news that it is suspected that the driver fell asleep at the wheel .

switchlogic:
…once 2/3am rolls around and you’re the only one awake driving down an empty motorway it can be tough to stay alert.

I bet.

Half a hundred innocent souls sitting behind you must give you the motivation to either stay awake or pull over and take a break though?

Contraflow:

switchlogic:
…once 2/3am rolls around and you’re the only one awake driving down an empty motorway it can be tough to stay alert.

I bet.

Half a hundred innocent souls sitting behind you must give you the motivation to either stay awake or pull over and take a break though?

Normally you’d stop and swap drivers…if you had any faith in them and often I wouldn’t trust them

Sad situation indeed. We had a sad one here last week. A guy I know is a member of the local Fire and Rescue team got called to a fatal accident just outside the village to find his 17 year old son hanging out of the windscreen of a car :frowning:

My Dad saw two drivers swap seats while the coach was still moving, they waited until they thought everyone was asleep .
It was common for lorry drivers to do the same in the 80’s and 90’s .
My Mrs took the London to Lisbon non stop service, on arrival , could not walk or sit up due to being sat in the same position .

The driver was looking for his sunglasses !!!..bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gl … e-36881572

bald bloke:
The driver was looking for his sunglasses !!!..bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gl … e-36881572

What a ridiculous excuse. What would possess him to come up with that, if it’s a lie. Personally I’d think a lot less of a driver who put a coach on its side in the ditch looking for sunglasses than I would falling asleep! Every one of us has pushed a little to far sometimes when tired