A Note on Spammers

As some of you have no doubt noticed, we are being attacked by spammers again. I’s one of the downsides of being a) big, b) a Php board and c) Google-spidered.

Current policy and experience means that the best way to deal with these idiots is to delete/move their posts, label them as spammers, and ban their e-mail addresses - but NOT to delete. If you delete, they just come back, creating more work for the Admin staff…by leaving them in the memberlist they see that they’ve already registered and move on elsewhere. This is a tactic which has been confirmed as the best once again after a recent experiment with deleting them has, as you can see, brought them all back. :unamused:

Oh, and for the cynics amongst you, it doesn’t matter a jot to us what the membership figures look like, we market the site on traffic. So nothing to gain there. If we thought deletion of spammers worked, then we’d do it.

In the meantime, please remember that the Mods are all volunteers and have full time jobs. If it takes a while for a spammer to be sorted, it’s because we’re out earning a crust…and since no amount of posting along the lines of “Wake up mods” will pay our mortgages, all it achieves is to bump the spammer back up the forum and hence get them the attention they are after.

In other words PLEASE just leave them alone. We’re getting to it. :wink:

And this is of interest to us because…

:question:

I’m getting complaints from my staff about the sarky comments which keep being posted on them by members if they don’t get sorted immediately. And they don’t deserve the flack.

You were lucky, you caught this just as I was coming back to lock it. Feedback Forum for any other comments, eh? :unamused: :stuck_out_tongue: