A newbie appreciating this forum

Good day to you all.

I have been a member of the forum for a couple of months now I have picked up some very useful information.

It is good to see everybody helping out everybody else & I hope to be in a position to do the same in the future.

I am due to leave the RAF after 30 years working in the Logistics side of things (warehouse, asset control, fuels etc) so after some deliberation and having to search for work I feel that a change is as good as a rest so I have decided to bite the bullet and go down the HGV driving route.

Have my theory and Haz P booked for early next month. A bit apprehensive about my Haz P as, like a few people on here, keep failing the mock tests due to clicking too early but will keep at it.

I have to admit I got a bit confused (some would say that that isn’t too difficult :laughing: ) when I was going to book my CPC test. It lists Large Goods CPC and Large Goods CPC Conversion; I’m guessing that the conversion is for those drivers already holding the PCV CPC and are going for their HGV?

I have a predicament that I would like your views on; I know that I have to do Modules 2 & 4 of the CPC before driving as a profession (have held a car license for over 20 years). I would also like to do an ADR course (mainly to improve my prospects of employment). My predicament is, is it worth me doing my periodic CPC as part of the ADR as well. My thinking is that I may be better employable as I would have 5 years before having to do both courses again.

Your creative views/replies would be greatly appreciated.

When I say HGV I of course mean LGV, guess I am showing my age lol

Your right about the cpc conversion, that’s for those that have done the pcv training already.

If you can easily find a training company that offers ADR training jointly approved by JAUPT to count towards your periodic cpc training and at sensible price then you may as well do it that way.

Don’t have to do ADR, have you thought about HIAB or perhaps go and drive tippers? Don’t want to waste your money on ADR if you are never going to use it. Whats the job opportunities like around your way? I’ve got mine and never used it once, paid about £350 for it.

Hi Mick3911,

Mick3911:
I would also like to do an ADR course (mainly to improve my prospects of employment). My predicament is, is it worth me doing my periodic CPC as part of the ADR as well.

I’m not terrifically well-versed in all of the procedures involved in DCPC, but I think you need to complete the initial part before you start thinking of the ‘periodic’ part.

ADR can be worth 7, 14, 21, 28 or 35 hrs toward the periodic DCPC depending on the ADR provider and the type of ADR course they offer.
With you mentioning the RAF, wouldn’t all this be taken care of under resettlement?

If you’d like to get contact details for ADR providers, I can assist you with that if you say whereabouts in the country you are and how far you’d be prepared to travel to attend a course please.

Mick3911:
My thinking is that I may be better employable as I would have 5 years before having to do both courses again.

I tend to agree with you there Mick. :smiley:

Hi Tockwith Training, I was informed from a reliable source that there is a shortage of ADR qualified drivers hence the reason why I was thinking of attending a course.

Hi dieseldave, Due to having grandfather rights I was thinking of doing Modules 2 & 4 first off (so that I can then do some work) then do the periodic together with the ADR course.

My resettlement package would cover the cost (‘ish) of attending an ADR course. I am based in Bedfordshire and travel home at weekends to Moreton and have found 2 local companies who provide ADR training, one in Ellesmere (not sure if that is you) and another place in St Helens.

Cheers Mick

From my reading of the posts, you will have C1 on your licence already, having had a car licence for 20 years. This being the case you will not need to do either Module 2 or Module 4 as these are the initial driver cpc qualifiers. You can get on with driver cpc periodic training straight way and this will make you more attractive to employers.

With regards to further training e.g ADR, Hiab etc, it’s all very handy to have and clearly may open more doors. But I suggest you research the local market and discover what skills are in demand and set out to gain those.

Whatever you choose, best of luck with it.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hiyyaaa mick3911, you have got some good advise here from these guys…& welcome :smiley:

Hi Bonnis Lass and thank you for the welcome.

There is loads and loads of useful info on here which is just great. I trust that everybody is just as friendly at truck stops etc.

Great news sbout not having to Modules 2 & 4 of the CPC :smiley:

Welcome Mick3911

just a thought but when you go to do your hgv training might be worth asking if any of that training can count towards your periodic cpc some trainers are approved could save money :bulb:

best of luck

jenx

Mick3911:
Hi Bonnis Lass and thank you for the welcome.

There is loads and loads of useful info on here which is just great. I trust that everybody is just as friendly at truck stops etc.

No. most of them are sat in their cabs behind closed curtains watching Stenders, Corrie or posting on Truck Net :laughing:

Jennie:

Welcome Mick3911

just a thought but when you go to do your hgv training might be worth asking if any of that training can count towards your periodic cpc some trainers are approved could save money :bulb:

best of luck

jenx

Good thinking, why does it take a female to sort a bloke out? :wink:

Dear All,

I have come across one training company so far that will give you up to 14 hours for C (if you already have C1) and / or C+E.

Thanks to Rog too for pointing this out!

Click below for more info

hgvlgvtraining.co.uk/blog/20 … river-cpc/

Would like to know if more are doing it too. Peter Smythe is right, re: ADR do your local research 1st as you can find some great delas.

Good luck!

hgvlgvtraining

Mick3911:

Jennie:

Welcome Mick3911

best of luck

jenx

Good thinking, why does it take a female to sort a bloke out? :wink:

Need I say anything as we are much better at that then men :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Welcome to the madhouse

hgvlgvtraining:
Dear All,

I have come across one training company so far that will give you up to 14 hours for C (if you already have C1) and / or C+E.

Would like to know if more are doing it too.

Welcome to the forum Mick 3911

To answer your question Sean we are awaiting approval from JAUPT for just that.

All the best Rick.

Hi Ric,

Nice one! Please let me know when JAUPT have given you the all clear and we will be happy to post this good news on our blog. How many hours are you trying to get approved?

Does the demand warrant the JAUPT investment?

I am getting conflicting stories with regards to Initial Driver CPC which is doing my head in :angry: .

I have Cat C1 and Cat C1E currently on my license from when I passed my test in 1986.

Do I have to do modules 2 & 4 to enable me to earn living from driving Cat C and C+E?

Thanks

Hi Mick3911,

The short answer is NO.

You have acquired rights as you passed your car test prior to Jan 1st 97.

You are deemed as already being in the "HGV club (although a C1 is a MGV)

So you are only subject to periodic Driver CPC, which means 35 hours every 5 years.

In your case 35 hours completed between now and September 10th 2014.

After 2014 you will have to complete another 35 hours before 2019 (September 10th)

and so on, and so on

Hope this clarifies

www.hgvlgvtraining.co.uk

hgvlgvtraining:
Hi Mick3911,

The short answer is NO.

You have acquired rights as you passed your car test prior to Jan 1st 97.

You are deemed as already being in the "HGV club (although a C1 is a MGV)

So you are only subject to periodic Driver CPC, which means 35 hours every 5 years.

In your case 35 hours completed between now and September 10th 2014.

Hi hgvlfvtrainging,

Thanks for the info, where can I find that written down(on line or publication)?

Cheers Mick

Hi all, just an update.

I got an e-mail from the DSA confirming that I don’t need to modules 2 & 4. I just wanted it in writing so that if anyone (test centre, training centre etc) said I do need to do them I have proof that I don’t.

Cat C lessons/test booked for week starting 15 Nov and ADR with 35 hours CPC as a bonus booked for week starting 29 Nov. As I have some funds left over from my current employer I have also booked the following one day courses:

Safe & Secure Loading Principles and Vehicle Defect Checks
Management Drivers’ Hours Law and Tachograph Regulations
Drivers Safety Controls and Systems and Economical Driving

Three reason for booking these courses 1) Extra training is always good (well for me being a newbie I feel it is) 2) The money is better off being spent on me than my employer having it :wink: 3) Adds a few more ‘ticks in the box’ for my CV

Ok if there is money left over why not go for Hi ab :question: instead

Just a thought