A new strategic transport plan for the North of England,

The transport plan is aiming for near zero emissions from surface transport in the region by 2045, has been published by Transport for the North (TfN).
Transport infrastructure plan includes zero emissions ambition by 2045

“We have set interim milestones, including a 56% reduction in emissions by 2030 and
a 96% reduction by 2040”

Along with announcing its ambition for near zero emissions from surface transport in the region by 2045, TfN’s new plan aims to support efforts to reduce car dependency and create the capacity required to grow usage of public transport networks.

"TfN’s new plan aims to support efforts to reduce car dependency and create the capacity required to grow usage of public transport networks.
It also confirms a place a long-term ambition to treble the share of freight carried by rail.

I haven’t read it all yet, but a tripling of rail freight?
Won’t that need some more lines built?

Wouldn’t it be a good to build a high speed passenger line to enable more freight traffic on older lines? Get more passengers and freight on trains?

If only someone had thought of that earlier!

2 Likes

I’ve just read sections of it whilst having my tea, Yes you’re right It’s going to be a tight time line if they want to treble the freight onto railways.

It’s more or less in line with the EU’s ‘Fit for 55’ emission reductions.

140 pages :astonished: That’s going to have to wait until a non-work day to be read.

1 Like

CF will have read it & no doubt will be along soon with an expert dustman’s opinion

1 Like

And Winseer will be busy with his yellow highlighter picking out the bits that agree with him!

1 Like

Was WS trying to hint at something?

All of his old posts were Rainbow hued.
Should we ask the tech guys not to exclude his right to freely express his character?

Ed…Whoops! I didn’t mean to make assumptions when I said “his”.
Sorry.

I don’t understand. They haven’t yet invented zero emission transport yet. Are they planning on just banning travel?

It’ll be active travel or public transport by the look of it, The Government has just provided £143million for 955 electric buses & that’s on top of the £3.5billion to improve bus services. £143 million for better bus journeys as almost a thousand zero emission buses to hit the road - GOV.UK

Electric…the highest form of pollution.

Not according to global energy analysts BloombergNEF (BNEF) EVs are clearly less polluting than petrol cars, even when their grids are dirty

can you drive 250,000 km in an ev with out the battery packing up? average mileage per year is 10,000 miles. As 250,000 km is approximately 155,343 miles it would take 15.5 years. Most people keep a car a maximum of 5 years so once again the data is meaningless

Do they? My current car I’ve had for ten years, the previous one for 14 years.

?
Which data are meaningless?

A car may be sold at 5 years old, but is it scrapped? No!

yes and one of my cars is 51 years old… but being a unique individual (some would say thank god) i am not most people.

A large proportion of people don’t have 30k+ to go out and spend on a car the hp rates are usually more favorable than going to get a bank loan so they have them for the length of the hp agreement (5 years) and hand them back. therefore another car has to be produced causing more pollution.

I read somewhere that it takes a standared ice car 10 years to produce the same amount of pollution as it took to make it. how may 10 year old cars are in your local scrapyard lots i would wager.

the data linked to by lancpudn.

a 5 year old ev car is scrapped because it costs 60k for a new battery from tesla because half the cells have died and the car is worth a lot less.

There’s a EV battery price war going on at present, lithium prices have fallen off a cliff with over production over the past 12 months & they’re forecasting battery traction packs will be 50% cheaper this year alone. A battery price war is kicking off that could soon make electric cars cheaper. Here’s how

Tesla Guarantee.
Warranty
Basic Vehicle - 4 years or 80,000 km, whichever comes first
Battery & Drive Unit - 8 years or 240,000 km, whichever comes first

@franglais not quite that simple i suspect. From their website

Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty

The Battery and Drive Unit in your vehicle are covered for a period of:

Model S, Model X, Cybertruck: 8 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.

Model 3 Rear-Wheel Drive, Model Y Rear-Wheel Drive: 8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.

Model 3 Long Range, Model 3 Performance, Model Y All-Wheel Drive,
Model Y Long Range, Model Y Performance; 8 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.

dont forget also that all that is only if there is a manufacturing fault and they dont consider battery degradation a fault. if you have a knock or there is some other cause of damage to the battery tough luck