A new one with health and safety for me

Just tipping at wickes. I jump up onto my trailer to tidy my straps away and I get shouting DRIVER GET DOWN NOW. so in no rush I slowly climb down and they tell me I can’t go on. I say can I go on once you’ve finished tipping? They say no. So I say so let me get this straight, I can’t go on my own trailer anywhere on this site? They say no. I say but my boss who is paying me has told drivers to make sure straps are always tidied away neatly ready for someone else to use. They say well you’ll have to do it out in the road. I say on, so where am I more likely to get injured? Here in the yard where every other company lets me do it, or out on the main road, on double yellows? What a joke!

All travis Perkins group is like that Zb er’s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nothing to do with health and safety and more like shifting the possibility of getting sued away from their site. They dont want you falling off on their property but its ok to do it outside as they are not held liable.
Say to them “Ok, well can I have it in writing that you want me to leave here with an unsecure, unstrapped road and go onto a public highway? Just im not taking responsibility if it falls off outside. Thanks. No? Ok, take it off then” or words to that effect

Surely if they just gave a laminated card with the rules on, then if I choose to ignore it and still go on and injure myself then I can’t sue em for it. It really has gone mad. I can understand some of it such as taking keys and making you wait in the cab, but not allowing me on my trailer at all anywhere on site even when there is no forklifts operating near me, even if I use the proper steps to get up there…but it’s still a no no. A LITTLE over the top I think!

The-Snowman:
Nothing to do with health and safety and more like shifting the possibility of getting sued away from their site. They dont want you falling off on their property but its ok to do it outside as they are not held liable.
Say to them “Ok, well can I have it in writing that you want me to leave here with an unsecure, unstrapped road and go onto a public highway? Just im not taking responsibility if it falls off outside. Thanks. No? Ok, take it off then” or words to that effect

And we both knows what happens 5 minutes after that don’t we pal, they ring your gaffer and make up a load of old ■■■■ about you, and why you are now banned from site! :laughing:

Once tipped, climb back on your trailer and do what ever it takes, vosa state that a vehicle should be secure prior to moving it…quote them that, then ignore what they say, and let them phone whoever they want…your only doing your job…after June 23rd…you can tell them ``Thats a european directive, and were no longer part of it

Evil8Beezle:

The-Snowman:

And we both knows what happens 5 minutes after that don’t we pal, they ring your gaffer and make up a load of old ■■■■ about you, and why you are now banned from site! :laughing:

Probably. By the time they are off the phone they’ll have told your gaffer you had the forkie and the security guard pinned up against the wall, spitting blood and feathers and threatening to burn the place down. :laughing:

Surely there should be a veto where drivers can do what they like providing it don’t risk injury to others and are covered by their own companies insurance for stuff like getting on trailers.

That said I have seen drivers fall off trailers, forking hilarious. :wink:

Personally I’d have made it clear I wasn’t going anywhere until I had a secure load. A ratchet strap can kill someone if it flies off the trailer st 50mph.

Jump back up, crack on a leave once you’re done. Never know you might get lucky and be banned from going back to such a place!

The op was tipping, not loading.

Came across this a couple of months ago on two different sites in a row. If you don’t have side rails at least something like 3’ high you can’t get on the bed.

So how we gonna get the straps under the load for the crane?

Reply comes all suppliers have been emailed telling them this site will only accept vehicles with fall restraint or whatever they call side rails.

Absolute joke. Me and two banksmen ended up onour tip toes with crap out the skip trying to loop straps round some mesh.

Most flats or low drop sides are now trundling around with either straps or hastily added extensions welded on the sides to make them higher.

Is this not something to do with FORs boo lacks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H&S rules are something like .

If working a mt or more above ground a barrier or fall arrest system must be in place .

It’s been like that for years .

nick2008:

If working a mt or more above ground a barrier or fall arrest system must be in place .

That’s only guidelines though, certainly not mandatory otherwise EVERY truck wouldn’t get much done and comes down to Reasonable Adjustments to reduce/remove risk

Besides which IF the risk assessment was done be properly at these sites half the bollox wouldn’t be needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

truckyboy:
Thats a european directive, and were no longer part of it

That’ll be the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 … lets blame Europe anyway :wink:

As has been said, if risk assessments were carried out correctly and instructions for safe systems of work issued and understood correctly then there’d be no need for hassle like this.

shep532:

truckyboy:
Thats a european directive, and were no longer part of it

That’ll be the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 … lets blame Europe anyway :wink:

As has been said, if risk assessments were carried out correctly and instructions for safe systems of work issued and understood correctly then there’d be no need for hassle like this.

Except that the men in suits will ALWAYS choose the belt and braces approach of enforcing it anyway, no matter if it makes the job impoosible. They don’t care, they aren’t the ones trying to do it! :unamused:

The trouble is health and safety has become an industry of its own. What’s going to save your life today, will probably be the biggest threat to human life in 5 years. Nobody is going to tell their MD that the company is 110% safe, as he will be told to leave his car keys at reception on his way out. They keep having to dream up crazy things, like the padlocks on steering wheels at dsv for example. Just waiting for someone to say you have to wear a clowns wig and stand on one leg so we can see you :laughing:

image.jpegi made edge protection and even a fixed ladder and 4 grab handles ,still got told off in a power station for getting on the back to set the straps up in order to tidy my gear up after unloading a machine wider than the body .

I always try to work from ground level,if poss. In the past i have fallen off the bed of a truck, and trust me it hurts :unamused: :unamused:

If your on the bed of the lorry then your working at height,then working at height regs come into play. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

So if possible get the straps from ground level,if you fall off and break a leg then no body gives a flying f…look after number 1.

Sometimes getting on the bed has got to be done ,don,t make a ladder or side protection , thats the companys responsibility,if they haven,t got a ladder ,or side protection,its your responsibility to point that out to them.( i,d write it in the defect book) look after number 1 ,nuff said. :unamused:

coiler:
The op was tipping, not loading.

Well arnt you just a big spoil sport by pointing out the facts :blush:

nick2008:

One of our customers has been banned from collecting material from a Hanson quarry because the telehandler they collect stuff with (in the bucket) has “the cab on the wrong side” and on that side there is no edge protection on the weighbridge. They’ve also said using the bucket is against rules because the load isn’t sheeted.