A new kind of stupid

This is why the whole court system was put in place (now I’m not saying it works, that’s another thread for another time) but it was put in place because it’s difficult to judge anything without knowing all the facts.

Let’s say his wife has been to stay at her mothers with the little one for a week and returns home Monday, he knows by doing this that he will have extra time to pull that job in that was booked in for Tuesday morning so he can get home to his family by just giving up a few hours on Sunday that he would have spent watching crap on the tele and eating cold beans from a can …

Now let’s say he’s looked at his work load for the week and knows a good start will make sure that he’s home for his next weekly rest

His wife is 22 stone and ■■■■■ and Sunday evening is “loving” time

He’s a recovering alchoholic and his mates are unaware so always pester him to go for a drink so he’s wisely removing himself from the situation

The drop is five minutes away from a friend/lover and he gets to spend the night drinking/loving

That list could go on and on but he may just simply be a fool, but without all the facts no-one will ever know :smiley:

toby1234abc:
He runs down on a Sunday to get 9 or 11 off.If he starts at 2am, he is parked up Monday then on nights all week.

If he starts at 0230 on a Monday…he can work till 1730…then start whatever time he needs to on Tuesday…how does that put him “on nights all week”?

Just flipped through but sounds like a ‘cab happy’ chap who enjoys his job to the extreme… I can respect this as I too was a cab happy chappy once, the years will educate him if the old hands don’t get to him first… :wink:

Can go 2 ways- his gaffer will give him the good jobs knowing he will go the extra mile to get them done or he will be given all the crap…

For me I was given the cream jobs and a juicy ‘bull week’ at crimbo, I was usually on max hours (and then some) and had more in my paypacket than the other drivers, but this day and age he may find he is pooped on from a great height on a regular basis…

[edited to soften a very naughty swear word :unamused: ]

Darb:
it’s difficult to judge anything without knowing all the facts.

Let’s say his wife has been to stay at her mothers with the little one for a week and returns home Monday, he knows by doing this that he will have extra time to pull that job in that was booked in for Tuesday morning so he can get home to his family by just giving up a few hours on Sunday that he would have spent watching crap on the tele and eating cold beans from a can …

Now let’s say he’s looked at his work load for the week and knows a good start will make sure that he’s home for his next weekly rest

His wife is 22 stone and ■■■■■ and Sunday evening is “loving” time

He’s a recovering alchoholic and his mates are unaware so always pester him to go for a drink so he’s wisely removing himself from the situation

The drop is five minutes away from a friend/lover and he gets to spend the night drinking/loving

That list could go on and on but he may just simply be a fool, but without all the facts no-one will ever know :smiley:

My first reaction was that he’s a kn ob, but put like that it might be any of those so he’s playing the game to his own advantage

eddie snax:

Happy Keith:

yorkshire terrier:
‘… I’m genuinely shocked that a driver can be this daft …’

He’s using liberalism to primarily work for him with his employer maximising the value: It is something all workers should be wary of :neutral_face:

A dangerous downside guess is that his insurance may be iffy and could - perhaps inadvertantly - classically demonstrate the ever [un]popular ‘divide & conquer’ mechanism used around us for future abuse opportunities upon subsequent drivers.

A tiny bit like ‘one man’s freedom fighter is another’s terrorist’: It may end up going like “well all the other drivers do it - and I’m not making an exception for you”.

Being currently fresh out of excess good-will and getting a bit tired of donating ‘the extra [hypocritical?] mile’ (puke) for my lot - has he got his pet-project OK’d in writing & are accountable Risk Assessments in place to include security, blah-blah-Zzzz?

If not then he’s arguably being abused by the same slack system that (blind-eye?) permits him to do his own thing in the first place and which demonstrates how ‘diversity’ in society is also a leading contributor in the race to the bottom :open_mouth:

Yeah, havent a clue what you were talking about, but it sounds fantastic. :wink:

though to be somewhat more brief, he’s a D******d :unamused:

Didn’t want to say but I too find happy Keith’s posts like reading a historic piece of English literature. Not having a dig, I actually think it’s amazing that a lorry driver can speak so well assuming he is a lorry driver. But I prefer posts written in lay mans terms and not too long winded :wink: tin hat and armor suit on awaiting incoming abuse :blush:

Edit: just read the rest of the thread and it’s already been answered.

In relation to the op, that’s a new one on me but each to their own.

May be the fella doesnt want to be in the house if hes single and lives alone,when i was splitting with the ex wife id stop in the lorry in the yard if it wasnt needed for a run on nights ,i wasnt paid for it ,didnt want to be at home thats all,he must not wanted to be in the house if he did it,pair play to the lad i say ,dont judge a book by the cover,but then again he could have been barmy theres plenty about ,when you get talking to some lads out and about theyres some propper weirdos :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

yorkshire terrier:
Just been talking to a lad tipping at same place as me who mentioned that he ran down to Luton on Sunday from yorkshire for an early tip Monday morning.
He then asked me if I work weekends,I said occasional Saturday mornings that’s it.
As the conversation went on it turns out he ran down on Sunday for free because it was a “good start” to get ahead on Monday :open_mouth: ,I said you ran down for free he said yes it was a 6am tip and I’d have to leave at 2-30 to 3am to make it so I though sod it and ran down Sunday night.
I’m genuinely shocked that a driver can be this daft.

You couldn’t make it up could you? Bless 'em.

It’s a regular thing with a well known salary paid walking floor firm. with some of the more mentally challenged drivers among them, that do an unpaid voluntary Sunday shift to be …first in the queue ffs. :unamused:
Each to his own but to me it beggars belief, if they want a hobby the ■■■■■■ s should take up fishing instead of them reducing the already small chance of the rest of the drivers getting a pay increase.

robroy:
‘… to me it beggars belief, if they want a hobby … instead of them reducing the already small chance of the rest of the drivers getting a pay increase…’

Ahaaah, maybe it’s a classic situation of the workforce (us) being split-up by having differing priorities :open_mouth:

That way, our employers reap the benefit (of not having to give a pay rise) because we (the workers) aren’t ‘as one’*.

*I was gonna put ‘united’ - but that word may be mentally associated by many with the political enemy wasters and militant job-wreckers that are The Unions :unamused:

Wasn’t ‘being split-up’ once known as “Divide and Rule” - (which today is an alien phrase to millions with their heads in the telly) that remains with us and in this case proves not to work for us working blokes?

It’s only an idea - but it’s back to the Star and a letch down at Poundland for me to respect the differences between us in society and perhaps encourage more diversity to happen: Who knows, maybe today I’ll feel sorry for obese people and sign a petition that they ought to get grant to have gastric bands & counselling at taxpayers expense.

Or am I being too poncy & ironic :wink:

PS. HK = Union Member

Is it even legal?

Because he will be on tacho it is considered working time. Under the rules of the NMW all working time must be paid. :unamused:

Truckbling:
‘… all working time must be paid…’

Or in the case of my employer (without wishing to hijack the thread/site with my petulant selfishness), ‘all working time spent on DCPC training must be paid back by working a rest’.

Grumble over :wink:

I’m an owner driver and I hate Monday morning early starts/traffic,so,occasionally when I have a trailer that has arrived over the weekend (ferry trailer)I shove off after tea.
I pay myself a night out,but that’s it.
Result,lay in on Monday,I get to listen to the obituary programe etc on radio 4.
I’m happy with that!
Am I a merchant banker?

Nah - I think that’s common sense for someone in your position. You are not selling your services for free. Does it not result in a more efficient profitable week?

You are obviously working for yourself - your target to maximise profits I.e cash in your hand. This is helped by you starting Sunday. So it makes business sense.

View the employee as a mini business/Subbie.

His target should be the same - I.e wages in his hand. If he is not doing it for a fee he is technically running at a loss or at the very least a substantially reduced rate.

Would you run at a loss or take a large rate cut?

The point I’m making is this.
My motivation is making my life easier.
I don’t benefit financially from running on a Sunday as the way I’m paid there is no insensitive to crack on. So on Monday morning I will tip, load nearby or on the way back to port,collect trailer for the next day and go home,having driven maybe three and a half hours if that.
So,is there that much difference between what I do and what this geezer has done.

ROADRANGER:
The point I’m making is this.
My motivation is making my life easier.
I don’t benefit financially from running on a Sunday as the way I’m paid there is no insensitive to crack on. So on Monday morning I will tip, load nearby or on the way back to port,collect trailer for the next day and go home,having driven maybe three and a half hours if that.
So,is there that much difference between what I do and what this geezer has done.

But you truly are your own boss, and if you go home with just 3 or 4 hrs driving for Monday because you ran 4 hrs Sunday that’s your choice.

This guy is an employee, and you can bet your last £ that he wont be going home Monday night with that little driving for the day, His gaffer will still want 9 hrs drive out off him Monday, regardless off the fact the He went Sunday on his own time. His company will get a day and a halfs work for one days pay, that’s whats annoyed the posters to this thread, we all want every hour to count, and as an employee in our pockets not just the Gaffers. :unamused:

sounds like the lad doesnt like early starts, and if thats the case whats wrong with him going on a sunday unpaid IF IT SUITS HIM, whats the problem its not hurting anyone is it? :unamused: :unamused:

When I was working for someone else on general haulage and they wanted a tip 4hrs away at 6 O’clock on a Monday morning it would have been run down Sunday night and get paid premium rate for it or give it to someone else. But that was a long time ago !!

burnley-si:
sounds like the lad doesnt like early starts, and if thats the case whats wrong with him going on a sunday unpaid IF IT SUITS HIM, whats the problem its not hurting anyone is it? :unamused: :unamused:

Ffs! Some driver’s views never cease to amaze me :unamused:
Read the second half of Mr Snax’s post for the answer to your question, and matamoris’s post for how it unquestionably should be. He is hurting his earnings by about 4to 5hrs pay :bulb:
I mean, call me old fashioned but I was under the impression that you drove a truck to earn a living, or am I missing something here.
I don’t particularly like early starts either, but there is no way in hell that I would work for literally ■■■■ all on somebody else’s truck to avoid them :open_mouth:
No wonder the job is totally ■■■■ ed when… A. a driver is prepared to do this. and B. drivers like you can’t see how bloody stupid he is for doing it, because…“It suits him” :unamused:
I am only pleased he does not work for the same co. as me, what sort of effect is this knob having on the rest of the drivers when he is prepared and willing to work for Jack ■■■■. I bet his boss is laughing his ■■■■ off and can’t believe his luck.

ROADRANGER:
I’m an owner driver and I hate Monday morning early starts/traffic,so,occasionally when I have a trailer that has arrived over the weekend (ferry trailer)I shove off after tea.
I pay myself a night out,but that’s it.
Result,lay in on Monday,I get to listen to the obituary programe etc on radio 4.
I’m happy with that!
Am I a merchant banker?

NO if you driver a truck you’re a truck driver, merchant bankers work in banks. I hope this helps.

Pip pip old boy.

burnley-si:

+1
Without walking a mile in his shoes and knowing the full facts etc I totally agree.
Perhaps as stated he is cab happy or has chosen the best option for him so theres no problem.
He might have to be careful of how long he can work after a Sunday start and if it backfires later in the week, but what I found back in my cab happy days where how many older drivers wanted me to do things their way and where more interested in my pay packet than their own. Sure they had a point but I just used to nod and agree then do my own thing and take no notice.

Age and wisdom don’t always go hand in hand but now I would be unlikely to do this (without a very good personal reason), each to their own though.