A mixed week ending with a agency job starting on Satuday

Well what a week, discovered on Wednesday when taking my second attempt at the DHL driving assessment the loading of a box unit onto the back of a truck is harder then it looks (Not sure what the right name is for this). For the life of me I was unable to get the truck lined up correctly with the runners, always seemed out by a couple of centimeters and fair play to the people who does it day in day out.

Meaning after my 5th attempt it was agreed that at the moment it was not for me at this point in time, although I did leave the site feeling that I wasted everyone’s time. But this was feeling was soon gone by the afternoon when I returned back to the agency to talk about our next steps.

The feedback from DHL was that my theory knowledge and approach was spot on, including knowing to stop if in doubt which was reassuring. The agency was also able to get some coach work driving manuals and analogue tachographs for the short term, doing a mix of motorway driving and local driving down small lanes.

Then at the end of today while cleaning the coach after a school sports trip, the worst part of the day for me. I had a call from the agency saying their have managed to get me a week of Class 2 work starting Saturday doing B&Q home delivery along with a driver mate, not to sure on what to expect apart from some hard work, from this but really looking forward.

hope the b an q thing goes better than dhl and im in the same boat recently passed and finding it easyier than i thought to find work iv got an assesment next tuesday at bargain booze (stop laughing)its ment be crap an hanballing off back of a wagon but they where happy taking a newbie and you get a drivers mate allso to show you the way .its agency but there are firms taking newbies aswell it seems if u want to work u only gotta ask around

Well I hope you two are not paying gym membership at present! :grimacing:

Best of luck…

Well that was another interesting day, first off told I would be out with someone who’s running late. And would need a driving assessment done on Tuseday next week before I can drive so will be acting as a driver mate. Then I was told I would be driving a 18t DAF over to Cardiff with a driver mate, so got us to truck done the morning walk around check and getting all set to leave. And Bang the other driver turns up, so it is back to going in the van as driver mate, with the assessment being done next week.

At the least today has given me a better idea of how deliveries are made and the paper side of the job, and we are one step nearer. Along with how unfit I have become, my short arms didn’t really make the carrying of heavy work tops any easier. I do have to say that the guys have at wincantion were more then helpful in answering my questions about the truck and job, no matter how simply of a question it may of seem such as ‘where is reverse gear?’

Andy best of luck with your assessment next week make sure you enjoy yourself at the assessment and you will be fine.

Evill thank you for support, I have seen many of your commons on this forum which have all been helpful.

Glad you got a start pal and the guys there are helpful…
Also good that you are playing the “Newbie Card” as it allows you to ask all the daft questions! :smiley:

Best of luck and keep asking questions…

Thanks assesment went well I was pretty much same as drivers mate for few hours then had chance drive another daf this one being 4 over 4 which was good part from mising few gears an nearly taking a lamp post out .second week now and iv become a spare which was crap as got up an out for 6 only be told at 7 to go home an now agency not even text for tomorrow so now my 50 hr week has evaporated to 30 so not all great but still trying

Andy7777:
Thanks assesment went well I was pretty much same as drivers mate for few hours then had chance drive another daf this one being 4 over 4 which was good part from mising few gears an nearly taking a lamp post out .second week now and iv become a spare which was crap as got up an out for 6 only be told at 7 to go home an now agency not even text for tomorrow so now my 50 hr week has evaporated to 30 so not all great but still trying

Good to hear that the driving assessment went well I ended up doing one day at B and Q, as a driver mate and went back to the agency said it was not going to be for me. Currently at P and H and done four shifts now, would of been 6 now but the car broke down on Tuesday night so couldn’t get to the depot.

What I have been doing when it looked like the agency maybe losing interest in getting work, is popping down and talking to them about what kind of assessments they can send me on. Keep at it, and I sure you will pick up more work.