A "lump in the throat" story

Brought a tear to my eye it did…but then I’m a big softy :unamused:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … valry.html

As someone who has a strong interest in the air forces of WW2, particularly Bomber Command, I find that story truly remarkable, and wonder why I’ve never come across it before.

Ken.

Just found out via an historic aviation website that I’m a member of, the story is due to be released in book form on the 1st of August. (Paperback and hardback.)

It’s called A Higher call.

Details here:

amazon.co.uk/Higher-Call-Inc … igher+call

It’s on my birthday list for 3 weeks after it’s release.

Thanks for the link,there’s some interesting titles featured in it.I particularly like to read German accounts of the war…they tend to dispel one or two myths :wink:

Amazing story. Thanks for the link!

SB

According to my other site, it’s actually an old story, as they were discussing it on that forum in 2009!!!

Nevertheless, the book will be in my possession in 4 weeks.

Ken.

Baggie:
Thanks for the link,there’s some interesting titles featured in it.I particularly like to read German accounts of the war…they tend to dispel one or two myths :wink:

Those type of stories seem to document isolated cases of those on the Axis side who seem to have had contradictory moral issues which they were struggling to come to terms with regarding the orders they were given and were trying to follow eventually in an ever increasingly compromised way to reflect that.Those stories seem to include examples like Schindler’s list and the Laconia incident.The fact is though that none of those examples actually seem to have gone as far as those issues resulting in anyone turning their guns on the fanatical evil majority that made up their own side or at least surrendering and putting themselves into the service of the Allies.

In general those stories usually still show an unshakable loyalty to the ■■■■ system and the extremely disciplined nature of the German forces in regards to following their orders actively and enthusiastically in most cases albeit with a more realistic view of the type of way in which they sometimes viewed their superiors at high levels just as the Allies armed forces did away from the propaganda newsreels.

These are some of the best that I can remember reading years ago.

amazon.com/U-Boat-977-Heinz- … B000GSOBMO

submarinebooks.com/IronCoffins.htm

amazon.co.uk/Alert-West-Will … 184145026X

You’re taking me back a fair few years CF,when I was a spotty teenager back in the sixties,I was a real bookworm,and fascinated by WW2.
My favourite book back then was this

amazon.com/Golden-Horseshoe- … +horseshoe

It inspired me to want to become a submarine captain when I grew up :laughing: :laughing: …still,I suppose a clapped out DAF with a leaking windscreen seal is the next best thing :unamused: