a lonely job

well if you are a new driver beware this is a very lonely job before i was a driver i used to work in a shipyard always working in a gang and then i passed class2 then 1… well what a eye opener my first day all on my todd i was bored to hell and i was home on a night !!! when i started journey work tramping that was worse!!! i worked for a big company and you get pally with someone then dont see them for 3-4 weeks everytime your in kent they are in scotland and then the other way round half the people on cb play music the other half shout scab in a cab at you!!! just beware this isnt a glamrous job king of the road all car drivers think your a ■■■■ and see it as a personal challenge to perform some ridicolous death dfying manouver to get past and then when you think youve seen it all someone does something that makes you relise you havent seen it all. and remember if you do have an accident IT IS ALWAYS YOUR FAULT. all in all you will soon get used to it. i could go on but i wouldnt want to put you off :smiley:

Another satisfied customer i see :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

simon
Ps its not so lonely once you start to talk to yourself

After some of the morons I’ve had to work with in previous jobs over the years, I look on it as a BONUS that I now get to work on my own!!
Switch on your radio if you want some company; Johnnie Walker on Radio 2 is all the company I need at work…

Al.

SimonRS2K:
Another satisfied customer i see :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

simon
Ps its not so lonely once you start to talk to yourself

pmsl :laughing: :laughing: talk to my self all the time…the good thing is no one can complain about ur singing

As alcraw62 as said above it can be a bonus working on
your own sometimes as sometimes you don’t get
a friendly workforce and you wish that you worked on your own.

There is no way I could ever go back to working in the same place with the same people doing the same thing all day every day.
When I left school all I wanted to do was be a Bricklayer, so having become one I then stand on the ground or on scaffolding laying bricks to a line, with, for a break, laying bricks to a spirit level, or perhaps laying some blocks or flint or carstone or even better chalk & sometimes if I was feeling really good I would mix my own mortar or do some ground work.
All this with the same people, & in the same area month after month.

When I took my first job at 17 as general dogsbody with a bathroom wholesaler, I soon saw that the people who were happiest and had the best jobs there were the drivers. So I made it my business to become a driver. Who wants to be stuck looking at the same miserable people all day every day? :laughing:

it is a loney job and wait and see till your just getting ready to go home your wife has your dinner on and your boss comes out and says those immortal lines … " how much time you got lift i need a favour " which means i cant get no other mug to do it!!! ( im just to cynical ) its is a good job when its a nice sunny day the moterway is running clear and times your own and the music is playing. :unamused: :laughing:

jessicas dad:
your boss comes out and says those immortal lines … " how much time you got lift i need a favour "

Try these few words as you walk out the door

“Do one [zb] head”

they usually get the point accross :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

simon

i know thats my attitude now as well!!! :laughing:

jessicas dad:
it is a loney job and wait and see till your just getting ready to go home your wife has your dinner on and your boss comes out and says those immortal lines … " how much time you got lift i need a favour " which means i cant get no other mug to do it!!! ( im just to cynical ) its is a good job when its a nice sunny day the moterway is running clear and times your own and the music is playing. :unamused: :laughing:

If you were sat in that office/warehouse/site/etc your boss would be on your back all day though!

It’s what you make it, and only lonely if you don’t get out of the cab…

I quite like night trunking, those long dark peaceful runs with tunes a blast are my favourite, and there’s always someone around to share a coffee and pass the time at most stops.

When I’m on days I make a point of talking to anyone and everyone at every opportunity, once they get started it’s a job to stop them. :slight_smile:

yea but its nice when you can chat to a few mates if your going down the road together :wink: :smiley:

For six years, I worked with and managed the biggest bunch of idiots you’ve ever met. I was actually pleased I was made redundant :laughing:. I’m now greatful that I’m my own man, able to be me and able to go about my buisness as I please. One of the perks for me :wink:.

Cheers

Ian.

It can be lonely, but you if you have got mates on the firm you can always give them a call with the latest gossip. Also when you work with the same bunch everyday you heard all the stories by the end of the first month and it gets to the point where the fact they had haddock instead of cod for tea becomes a big event. :open_mouth:
At least with trucking when you do get to meet your mates then you’ve plenty to talk about. :smiley:

It really comes down to whether you like your own company, if you need to be round people then it ain’t the job for you. :wink:

Me personally i prefer haddock :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

simon

muckles:
It really comes down to whether you like your own company, if you need to be round people then it ain’t the job for you. :wink:

This seems to sum it up in a nutshell. I’m sure it’s fair to say that most of us are loners in many ways. I don’t mean withdrawn, or antisocial, simply that we manage well, in our own company.

Of course, sometimes I think it would be nice to work in the company of a team of witty, intelligent, good-looking and sophisticated individuals- but is that the reality of working life for most people who work with others?

I’m thinking not.

Vince

I would sooner be antisocial and happy than stuck in a job with pillocks and having to put on false smiles :smiley:

I have done this job for a long time time now, and it is quite nice to meet someone you met 10 years ago.

I work for a company with 2400 drivers and if you cant find something in common with a few of them then maybe you are in the wrong job :wink:

I dont really like people anyway,enjoy my own company,not in a creepy loner sort of way,but the majority of people ■■■■ me off :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Like i have said in a previous post,I like to have a chat and laugh with good people,and with this job I can pick and choose who I talk to.My old job I could’nt and I was stuck with ■■■■ wits for weeks on end.
My missus says im a lot calmer doing this job and happier,but then again she only puts up with me at weekends :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Got to agree…u need to like ur own company (or terry wogans)

I spent 10 years as either a manager or supervisor having to put up with all the crap that goes with it. People who dont want to work, H&S etc. It got to the stage where you couldnt even critisize someones shoddy work without it being done with witnesses etc.

Now i just love being on my own, singing to myself, laughing at janet and john stories, with nothing to worry about apart from german car owners

Best move i ever made…should have done it 15 years ago

Joey