A load of hangin'

During parts of my career I’ve organised many a load of hangin’ from the UK. A good deal destined for Rungis, but many more 'regular destinations far and wide.

Loads from City meats (Later ABP), British Beef, Borthwicks, Coggans, DT Duggins, to name a few.

A part of the export trade knackered after BSE 1996, but in it’s heyday, a huge industry.

Irresponsible loading methods (not by the drivers), impossible and impractical deadlines, despatched sometimes without part of the ‘drop/s’ being identified or even sometimes whole load destinations (apart from perhaps being consigned to some Rungis based importer). Sometimes drivers having to unload themselves without direction nor protection (workwear). And every load delivered ‘in full’ as required (demanded) by the customer

My best and worst memory was a load of Lamb (early/mid eighties) destined for Switzerland that was hi-jacked (Macon area) at a blockade on the autoroute by protesting French Farmers, who were objecting to imports to France. (Little did they appreciate that the motor was transiting…) They removed a volume of the load and burned it on the road, and sprayed the rest with paint and diesel? the blighters. The driver was Alan Owen, working for HS Hayward out of DT Duggins.

Any other stories/pictures??

DP

TELL ME MORE DAD WORKED FOR HATTONS PULLED OUT OF COGGANS IN THE EARLY DAYS RUNGIS ECT SWISS WHAT ABRILLIANT JOB I Was only five at the time though

were you involved in just the organisation of the delivery/collection of the the meat or did you actually load it then arrange for it to be delivered?

P7YCE:
During parts of my career I’ve organised many a load of hangin’ from the UK. A good deal destined for Rungis, but many more 'regular destinations far and wide.

Loads from City meats (Later ABP), British Beef, Borthwicks, Coggans, DT Duggins, to name a few.

A part of the export trade knackered after BSE 1996, but in it’s heyday, a huge industry.

Irresponsible loading methods (not by the drivers), impossible and impractical deadlines, despatched sometimes without part of the ‘drop/s’ being identified or even sometimes whole load destinations (apart from perhaps being consigned to some Rungis based importer). Sometimes drivers having to unload themselves without direction nor protection (workwear). And every load delivered ‘in full’ as required (demanded) by the customer

My best and worst memory was a load of Lamb (early/mid eighties) destined for Switzerland that was hi-jacked (Macon area) at a blockade on the autoroute by protesting French Farmers, who were objecting to imports to France. (Little did they appreciate that the motor was transiting…) They removed a volume of the load and burned it on the road, and sprayed the rest with paint and diesel? the blighters. The driver was Alan Owen, working for HS Hayward out of DT Duggins.

DP

city meats didnt they run bedford tl’s

P7YCE:

DP

Hi bin there done it loaded for Felix Viandes uk to rungis Hanging Meat maybe full load for rungis, if lucky half load for corbas lyon
Loaded scotland Friday tip above Rungis Sunday Night Midnight down to Lyon for 6.00 am Monday tip back to Antwerp
For banaanas tuesday for uk tip wednesday midlands load friday all startsd again. Felix Viandes, Jazck trapan were the
big boys in Rungis this was back in the Late seventys to the late eightys every week those were the days
ANY BODY REMEMBER FELIX VIANDES JACK TRAPAN FROM RUNGIS

fleetclean,done that kind o work early nineties oot o lockerbie,usually re-loaded cavaillon area back to glesga fruit market,canny mind names o drops in rungis,always ended up getting lost in there :laughing:

fleetclean:
Hi bin there done it loaded for Felix Viandes uk to rungis Hanging Meat maybe full load for rungis, if lucky half load for corbas lyon
Loaded scotland Friday tip above Rungis Sunday Night Midnight down to Lyon for 6.00 am Monday tip back to Antwerp
For banaanas tuesday for uk tip wednesday midlands load friday all startsd again. Felix Viandes, Jazck trapan were the
big boys in Rungis this was back in the Late seventys to the late eightys every week those were the days

Flletclean? Is that you Dan? If so it’s Flip & how ya doin me old mucker?

FLIP:

fleetclean:

Flletclean? Is that you Dan? If so it’s Flip & how ya doin me old mucker?

e up flip long time no speke how you doing are you still with new job your not doing that silly continent again are ya
regards dan

Wotcha Dan, thought it must be you mate, Fleetclean,Felix Viandes & Jaques Trapan, couldn’t have been anyone else really could it? :laughing: :smiley:

All sound with me over here mate, the only border I cross now runs between Gretna & Berwick :wink: Strictly monday to friday man now Dan with perhaps a run north every 5th or 6th sunday,averaging 2 nights out a week is the norm. Good buncha lads here overall but we do have a coupla “heros” :unamused: 1 was telling me what it’s like dragging his skelly with a Bromine tank on doing 650-700kms a day, :unamused: , I bow down to the experience :laughing: dunno what he’d make of revision at Merca Seville then 1 hit to Cherbourg :smiling_imp: perhaps I should mention it at an opportune moment :smiling_imp: ! Just driving a wee 6 legger P94 “Skoda” these days mate, mainly garden centre & nursery deliveries up to 7 or 8 drops a load,steady :sunglasses: Due for a new space cab Daf rigid next year so am looking forward to the extra room at night.

How’s tricks with you Dan? Are the family okay? Hows the lad? did you ever get your foot & teeth sorted? Are you still at Hams mate or did it all go pear shaped? Half my mates have gone. Pooky’s running on the sugar tanks for a mate of mine out of Atherstone.

Anyway,all for now mate,take it easy,hope all’s well, toodle oo the noo :slight_smile:

Wotcha Dan, thought it must be you mate, Fleetclean,Felix Viandes & Jaques Trapan, couldn’t have been anyone else really could it? :laughing: :smiley:

All sound with me over here mate, the only border I cross now runs between Gretna & Berwick :wink: Strictly monday to friday man now Dan with perhaps a run north every 5th or 6th sunday,averaging 2 nights out a week is the norm. Good buncha lads here overall but we do have a coupla “heros” :unamused: 1 was telling me what it’s like dragging his skelly with a Bromine tank on doing 650-700kms a day, :unamused: , I bow down to the experience :laughing: dunno what he’d make of revision at Merca Seville then 1 hit to Cherbourg :smiling_imp: perhaps I should mention it at an opportune moment :smiling_imp: ! Just driving a wee 6 legger P94 “Skoda” these days mate, mainly garden centre & nursery deliveries up to 7 or 8 drops a load,steady :sunglasses: Due for a new space cab Daf rigid next year so am looking forward to the extra room at night.

How’s tricks with you Dan? Are the family okay? Hows the lad? did you ever get your foot & teeth sorted? Are you still at Hams mate or did it all go pear shaped? Half my mates have gone. Pooky’s running on the sugar tanks for a mate of mine out of Atherstone.

Anyway,all for now mate,take it easy,hope all’s well, toodle oo the noo :slight_smile: