A little unclear on the theory - is there different types

I’ve done the medical bit and sent away the form for the provisional.

Looking towards the theory test, i’m a little unclear. I know that i have to do a multiple choice set of questions and the HPT bit.

Now i plan on going out and buying the theory test book / DVD and HPT thing as well, but am not sure whether there are different types cause its an HGV license i’m working to.

When you look at booking the theory test, it differentiates between normal car license, Cat C and Cat D. So does that mean that the questions will differ too ?

Or are all the theory tests out of the same large book of questions that you buy, just that for an HGV, there may be more of them or that they are biased more to questions that and HGV driver may be more likely to encounter ?

thanks,

Donald

The DSA guide I used was for ‘large vehicles’. Questions specifically for LGV / PCV were marked with a symbol ie the question on air lines had a truck symbol as it was obviously only for LGV drivers. The questions without a symbol could be asked on either theory test.

There is a specifc book for LGV vehicles that you can buy most book places sell it for examp WH Smiths. in there are various sections covering the things you need to know in relation to theory test for LGV and Buses.

You can also buy a hazard perception dvdrom which may help you when it comes to the hazard perception I took my test a year ago and as far as I am aware there is no diff in this part of the test in respect of car to lgv/psv

:smiley:

Donald, (Forget about HGV when reading stuff, it’s old terminology)

I bought “The Official DSA Theory Test for Drivers of Large Vehicles” CD-ROM (ISBN 978-0-115527937). It covers both LGV (C and all related categories) and PCV (D and all related categories).

You apply for a theory test in group (LGV) C or (PCV) D. Some of the questions are general ones, others specific to large vehicles and others specific to C or D. The questions will differ from vehicle categories A / B / C / D.

If you buy the CD-ROM (Microsoft Windows ie won’t work on a Mac) it’ll select the right questions for the test you decide to practice (C or D) and give you analysis and explanations of where you went wrong. The book will have questions only relevant to buses or lorries marked as such.

You don’t need both, just buy one. I got my books from the Book Depository online at a good price.

thanks very much folks - thats clears it in my mind a lot more. i just wasn’t sure.

thanks for the specifics on the details of that book - i’ll go looking for it tomorrow.

regards,

Donald

Welcome fisha :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Try this for some pre training tips trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23857
ANOTHER NEWBIE wrote: “Can anybody explain the process over the forum as to what I have to do to start with so I can tick off on paper?”

LGV C (Rigid) formally Class 2:
Anyone who passes their car driving test and wants to drive a large goods vehicle will need additional training to be brought to the DSA standard. The vehicles used will also have to conform to the standards as set by the DSA.
The vehicle must conform to the following:
Boxed/curtain sided vehicles
Length 8 metres
Width 2.4 metres
8 forward gears
Tachograph
ABS as standard

Requirements:
Stage 1
Have a medical to prove you are physically fit to drive a Large Goods Vehicle using
Form D4 of the pack (obtainable from various driving schools). Please contact you’re GP or www.driversmedicals.com who can provide low-cost medical examinations.
Stage 2
Obtain your provisional licence. Having completed forms D2 & D4 send with your licence to the DVLA in the enclosed envelope, I recommended that you send it record/registered delivery. Your licence with provisional entitlement will normally be returned within 2 to 4 weeks.
Stage 3
Pass the theory test. This is carried out at local test centres and made up of two parts; Part 1 is multiple choice, 60 questions and Part 2 is hazard perception, 14 video clips.
Stage 4
Book your training course with LGV Training School. Once you have passed your theory.

Test Criteria:
Answer approximately 5 questions on basic vehicle checks.
Reverse into a marked bay.
Controlled brake test.
Drive for approximately 1 hour around the town. Test may also include hill starts and motorway driving.

Order a D2 Form (MARK FORM FOR C NOT C1)
forms.dvla.gov.uk/forms/ordering_forms_dg.htm
Fill the form and a D2 form will be send to in the post
Download the 8 page D4 Medical Form direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg … 020731.pdf Please print and take to your GP if you have the facilities at home or work

Theory - get book /CD rom + HPT (Hazard Perception Test) again, you can get CD rom to practice. Best idea - get in touch with LGV school and, for a fee, they will train you and may have cheap medical.
Read posts on this site before booking any LGV school course - if in a certain area ask about a school near you on here. It may be worth you considering a B&B elsewhere in UK to do a course.
The driver CPC is not the same as the other CPCs.
Digital tachos are usually required by agencies if you work for them but you are responsible for getting one. If you work for a non-agency they might be nice and pay for it but don’t hold your breath!
For some idea of cost try trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … highlight=

fisha:
thanks very much folks - thats clears it in my mind a lot more. i just wasn’t sure.

thanks for the specifics on the details of that book - i’ll go looking for it tomorrow.

regards,

Donald

You will find my tip the most valuable as I passed my theory just last month.

Forget the DSA’s official dvd rom for the hazard perception test - it is useless!!!

Get the CD-ROM - all the questions you will ever see in the test are eaxtly laid out in the same way in the CD and some are comically laid out in exactly the same way with the same pictures.

Buy as many hazard perception CD’s as you can and study them all - I almost got caught out in the test for spotting pedestrians walking past a small puddle in perfectly dry weather and believed I scored one point for that.

The book will come in handy if you can’t use your PC. I barely recommend it - your pc is faster.

For practice use the DSA’s random website questions - same questions, different format to rattle you brains a little.

Good luck.

60 out of 60 questions correct
&
57 was my scoring for the hazard perception.

You need a score of 50 to pass the hazard part if you are a lorry driver, 44 if you are car and 75 if you are an instructor.

Me bragging…

I think you’ll find the the instructor pass mark is 57 out of 75.

I did take ninefifty’s advice and didn’t buy the HP DVD. It’s a lot of lolly for what it is. If you can borrow one from the local library or something, it might be worth a quick view.

Anyway, this time next week I will have sat my theory tests so I will post my experiences then.