A little survey

ok, we all know that we go to work to live, thats a given, unless youre paul mccartney and fancy a week on a tilt or summat he dont need the loot.

but there is usually more than 1 reason why we like a certain type of work. and of course the certain type of work on here its driving the ole lorries, trucks, wagons, or whatever you call them.

so, the poll aint about the bleedin obvious, e.g. i work because i have to, as we know that only too well! :smiley:

well mate for me and it pains me to say this its i love trucks always have since i was knee high to a grasshopper,then when i became a driver it was the lifestyle especially when i was tramping seeing the uk and then europe .ive not driven now since the end of may and although im at home with the kids i just wanna jump in a truck and trot off across to europe somewhere.i guess although you can tell yerself ya dont miss it theres always a part of it ya do and i suppose you never loose the wonderlust :laughing:

well, were off to a great start 3 votes for “none of the above (please explain)” and no explanations!

i love the trucks carl, and it dont pain me to say it either! :laughing: and when the job is good too, its the best! i voted the trucks & the job,… but sometimes the job [zb] me off badly!

I picked the last option because things have changed over the years see i grew up with a fascination for trucks and all i ever wanted to do was drive them, So at 17 i fired off and joined the army (easiest way to hgv) and everything was fine, then 4 years later i was oofed out of there :wink: and i had my hgv 2 so i joined an agency and drove trucks for a while until i realised that hgv driving was’nt as cracked up as i expected you know life on the open road and all that what i failed to see was there would be some incompetent moron on the other end of the phone spouting a load of bull so i jacked in and went and tried various other things…

The reason i came back to hgv work is it still pays the best money for the easiest work but i still think the job is run by a bunch of morons and yes men but being older and wiser i can handle them now

But i still point blank refuse to pay out money for a C1 licence as i think (and no disrespect to any C1 drivers) its a dieing job with the way it is going now and i reckon there will only be multi drop jobs left eventually

So basicly im just plodding along earning a half decent wage doing a ■■■■ easy job until something else comes up that pays more

simon

So basicly im just plodding along earning a half decent wage doing a [zb] easy job until something else comes up that pays more

would that be in the job or out of it si?

Rubbish,boring, menial job.

Chunky:
Rubbish,boring, menial job.

thats why you do the job :question: , i dont get it :question: bear in mind the poll was for why you do the job, not why you hate it.

SimonRS2K:
I picked the last option because things have changed over the years see i grew up with a fascination for trucks and all i ever wanted to do was drive them, So at 17 i fired off and joined the army (easiest way to hgv) and everything was fine, then 4 years later i was oofed out of there :wink: and i had my hgv 2 so i joined an agency and drove trucks for a while until i realised that hgv driving was’nt as cracked up as i expected you know life on the open road and all that what i failed to see was there would be some incompetent moron on the other end of the phone spouting a load of bull so i jacked in and went and tried various other things…

The reason i came back to hgv work is it still pays the best money for the easiest work but i still think the job is run by a bunch of morons and yes men but being older and wiser i can handle them now

But i still point blank refuse to pay out money for a C1 licence as i think (and no disrespect to any C1 drivers) its a dieing job with the way it is going now and i reckon there will only be multi drop jobs left eventually

So basicly im just plodding along earning a half decent wage doing a [zb] easy job until something else comes up that pays more

simon

Jesus! I dread to think what other jobs you’ve done if driving a truck is easy. Whilst it isn’t rocket science and maybe not always the most physical and strenuous of jobs it can be very demanding in various ways. As for being run by a bunch of morons and yes men, well you will always find that just as long as there are more traffic managers behing the wheel instead of behind the desk who are incapable of doing as they are asked or told without an inqusition this will always be the case!

I forgot ! I voted none of the above, i think i may have just outgrown it. Nothing else.

Mal:

would that be in the job or out of it si?

Either to be honest Mal, Dont get me wrong i dont hate the job but then again i dont live for the job

At the moment i am happy because the job im doing is easy its working for an owner driver subbing for gefco (where i have worked on and off for the last 4 yrs) i start an hour earlier and finish an hour earlier than everyone else so i dont have to speak to the clowns, Plus its a nice easy run from Haydock down to your neck of the woods with a max of 10 drops but mainly 6 or 7, The truck is parked 1.5 miles from where i live so i save myself about £60 a week by not running a car, And Pete who i work for is an absolute star of a boss never gives me any grief and treats me well things like xmas bonus, paid me when i was in hospital, paid me straight through xmas last year when gefco shut even though i had only been there 4 weeks and hadnt accrued any hols

So for now i’ll stay put but as with anything in this industry it could all be over tomorrow

simon

Mike-C:
Jesus! I dread to think what other jobs you’ve done if driving a truck is easy

You just have to find the right job :wink: then pace yourself and if it gets done it gets done if not theres always tomorrow :laughing: :laughing:

Oh and beleive me gefco think they are in control somedays they will put 17 - 18 drops on me so of i go do my 10 then bring the rest back they only pay 10 hours pay so they only get 8 hours work :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

simon

Mal:
i love the trucks carl, and it dont pain me to say it either! :laughing: and when the job is good too, its the best! i voted the trucks & the job,… but sometimes the job piises me off badly!

I voted the same as you mate, and basicly feel the same about it. I allways wanted to drive trucks since i cant remember how young, and used go up the road with a bloke in the village i grew up in who was an O/D with an F88, great trips that did nothing to kurb my enthusiasm. though like all of us there are times when i could quiet cheerfully chuck it all in, though Mrs Snax for some reason unknown to me usually makes me see sense. But i voted i love trucks & job, i’m not one of those who is jumping into the latest topline or globetrotter, no the money has got ot be there aswell, :wink:

Mike-C:
Jesus! I dread to think what other jobs you’ve done if driving a truck is easy.

I also find it one of the easiest jobs i have ever had and i personally cant understand anyone saying its a hard job!!..

I drive lorries solely bacause of the Yorkie advert in the late 70,s the guy influenced me a lot and i also had a friend of the family who used to visit us in his truck from England he was a bit of an idol in my past, i have lately been getting a bit bored with the job as i am finding it a bit mundane to be honest and brain numbingly unchallenging.

Finding something else with money as good is the hard part.

jammymutt:
Finding something else with money as good is the hard part.

Now that is so true for me and i dont earn top money as it is, The non driving jobs where i live are things picking and packing on £5ph or flt driving for £5.50ph or shelf stacking for £6ph but your hours are limited to to 37 which means you cant afford to live

simon

I like trucks and I don’t like looking at the same miserable people all day. :laughing:

It’s all Eddie Snax fault really, :laughing: There I am with nice sensible hi-tech, office based job and he gets his licence and a job where he could bring his truck home, F12 I think. Anyway I sit in the cab and cor! :open_mouth: longway up, How many gears :open_mouth: Anyway a couple of trips with him to Felixstowe and Great Yarmouth doing trailer changes and I was hooked and it seemed like fate when NTS reduced their prices, so I went and got a licence.
I was only going to do the odd trip on weekends, :smiley: but some how fate again meant that I was offered a fulltime job, thanks to Eddie Snax, at just the time when my nice office job was about to go East.
Every so often I returned to an office job, but it was never to long before I got itchy feet and I’m back on the road.
The job I do now is probally the best I’ve had, it’s challenging, the kit is good as is the pay and management.
Does have down sides, but don’t they all. :wink:
Of course I’d really like to be an international ■■■■■■■, but I don’t have the money, looks and hate crowds and parties. :confused: but thanks to Eddie and Mrs Snax I now have a speed boat, although it’s a bit small for Monaco, it does fit nicely in the bath. :laughing:

muckles:
, F12 I think.
but thanks to Eddie and Mrs Snax I now have a speed boat, although it’s a bit small for Monaco, it does fit nicely in the bath. :laughing:

Muckles, the 1st one was an F10, it were a few years before i was in the F12, and i’m sorry for getting you that job on the G290’s :open_mouth: , though they were an experience to behold and as i was suffering so should you.
Does the speedboat work, and becareful what you ask for at Christmas :wink:

i have always travelled so a driving job was just an extension of what i was doing anyhow…not that i go anywhere interesting these days and i missed the ’ the best of the european ’

it warms the cockles of my heart to see thare is but 1 vote so far for loving money only, i thought the cynicism would run deeper than that, im glad to be wrong!

i just wish i didnt include “none of the above” since i didnt intend the poll to be about why anyone is ■■■■■■ off with the job, dont like it, feels trapped ect, it was sposed to be a survey of why people love the job, my mistake. never mind though, good results so far thanks to all the posters! :smiley: