A little help please

Hi all,

So I passed my Class 1 recently and I have an assessment with Arla dairies next week, I am a little concerned as all my training and test was done in a Class 2 rigid with a trailer. So I have never hooked up a articulated truck and trailer using a 5th wheel nor have I cornered in one. I did well in my lessons and test only getting 1 minor fault but I wanted to know if there was much difference and if so could you guys please give me some tips. I have watched some videos on the 5th wheel coupling and uncoupling so I have a pretty good idea of what I need to do. Also does anyone work for Arla or done an assessment drive with them and let me know what to expect.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

I know it would prob cost few quid mate.

But you would probably best paying someone to take you out for few hours lessons.

Or be brutally honest with potential employer and tell them you have no experience and they will help you out and bring you on and up to speed.

If you bluff it I guarantee you will cause damage and end up getting the sack.

Cheers, I will look into that.

Do you have a mate who drives class 1?
Maybe he could show you?

If it helps PAL to hook up Pin Air Legs then a walk round to check vehicle and put number plate on and LAP to uncouple Legs Air Pin then a walk round to collect number plate a simple routine

My routine is the word black! Easy to remember

B - Brake
L - Legs
A - Airlines
C - Clip
K - Kingpin

Say it to myself everytime I couple/uncouple! :slight_smile:

What are you going to be doing if you get the job? If your doing farm collections on milk then there’s a fairly good chance it will be in a wag’n’drag anyway.

If I were you I would go with the honesty route and tell them you done your test in a wag’n’drag, they obviously know you’ve only recently done your class one so won’t be expecting you to know everything.

Oh I will defo be honest with them ! no point in lying and fcking shit up even before I start !

I passed in a wagon drag, went straight into a LHD artic. It takes a little while, but it’s not impssible to adapt just take your time, as I found out. Couple of bumps 1st couple of weeks out… :blush:

1. Check trailer brake is applied.

2. Back up to trailer, get out and check you’re in line.

3. Lower suspension on unit and back under so fifth wheel is under the front of the trailer.

4. Lift suspension until you see front of trailer lift a few inches

5. Reverse until you hear fifth wheel engage then do tug test.

6. Sidelights on, hazards on, apply fifth wheel dog clip, apply suzies, lift up legs, release handbrake, do walkround to check lights, condition of trailer, tyres, MOT disc, put numberplate on.

When dropping the trailer first of all make sure where you’re about to drop it can take the weight of the landing legs. Put on the trailer brake, wind down landing legs and give an extra turn if possible, number plate, suzies, fifth wheel. Pull slightly forward to disengage fifth wheel then completely lower suspension on tractor unit which ensures the landing legs have all the weight on them when you pull off so they don’t get bent, pull clear then reset suspension to drive height.

Conor:

3. Lower suspension on unit and back under so fifth wheel is under the front of the trailer.

6. Sidelights on, hazards on, apply fifth wheel dog clip, apply suzies, lift up legs, release handbrake, do walkround to check lights, condition of trailer, tyres, MOT disc, put numberplate on.

When dropping the trailer first of all make sure where you’re about to drop it can take the weight of the landing legs. Put on the trailer brake, wind down landing legs and give an extra turn if possible, number plate, suzies, fifth wheel. Pull slightly forward to disengage fifth wheel then completely lower suspension on tractor unit which ensures the landing legs have all the weight on them when you pull off so they don’t get bent, pull clear then reset suspension to drive height.

5a put hand brake on!!!
6a release trailer brake not handbrake!!!
School boy errors Conor :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Have a routine that you go through no matter what - people ‘helping you’, distractions, etc. BLACK + number plate. As long as you go through the same process it will come naturally. For me the biggest problem is someone chatting to me on between steps, but I make sure I go though all the process before I depart.

And by turning all your lights on before connecting electric suzies you’ll potentially blow a fuse .

nick2008:
And by turning all your lights on before connecting electric suzies you’ll potentially blow a fuse .

Never known that to happen but I guess it can !

I used to work for Arla, they are a good firm to work ,are you doing store deliveries of caged milk on trollies with a fridge trailer or on bulk milk tankers from farms or dairies ?
The assesement may involve hooking up to a trailer and dropping it with a short road trip with their driver trainer, there may be a basic test on tachograph regulations and WTD and RTD rules, and a health and safety lecture for the site or sites you will be working at.

tango boy:

Conor:

5a put hand brake on!!!
6a release trailer brake not handbrake!!!
School boy errors Conor :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

:laughing: :laughing: conor :blush: :blush: canyou go a tug test siting in cab think i bin doing tugin to long need more gin in this tonick :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I done my test in an W&D then went straight into arctic the coupling is basically the same remember to check the hight of the unit against the trailer get out & check don’t be afraid to do it more than once if you think you need to ( I have in the past )

When you go round a corner you have to take it slightly different by keeping closer to the white line & going further out before turning the steering wheel to go round the corner as the arctic dons not follow round the same as a W&D

When out driving this week before your assesment follow an arctic & watch there line & how they corner soon it will all come natural so don’t worry

Audsley161:
My routine is the word black! Easy to remember

B - Brake
L - Legs
A - Airlines
C - Clip
K - Kingpin

Say it to myself everytime I couple/uncouple! :slight_smile:

couple up
C
A
B
L

un-couple
L
B
A
C

whats with the kingpin? Its on the Trailer

Conor:

When dropping the trailer first of all make sure where you’re about to drop it can take the weight of the landing legs. Put on the trailer brake, wind down landing legs and leave an Inch to the Ground so the next does not drive under the Kingpin,and,you don’t need the Work of lowering and rising the Suspension on the Tractor when coupling up next., number plate, suzies, fifth wheel. Pull slightly forward to disengage fifth wheel then completely lower suspension on tractor unit which ensures the landing legs have all the weight on them when you pull off so they don’t get bent, pull clear then reset suspension to drive height.