A Little Ditty For You Truckers

When the Lord was creating Truck Drivers, he was into his sixth day of
overtime when an angel appeared and said,

“You’re doing a lot of fiddling around on this one.” And the Lord said, “Have you read the spec on this order?”…

"A truck driver has to be able to drive 10-12 or more hours per day, through any type of weather, on any type of road, know the highway traffic laws of 48 states and 10 provinces, he has to be ready and able to unload 40,000 lbs of cargo after driving thru the night, sleep in areas of cities and towns that the police

============================================================

Regards.

Jim.

Sorry,

The final line should read “Areas that the police refuse to go into”

Jim.
[/quote]

Darn if that isn’t accurate :smiley:

Bloody Yanks :angry: :angry: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :smiley: :wink: whenever we read about Yankee motors and their big rigs pulling their big (bigger and better) loads around… even in the british magazines , they say "this big "ol ■■■■■■■ 450 pulls a load of ■■,000 lbs :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: what the hell is that in TONS■■? We arent interested in pounds uncle sam( or the british magazines)
So youve got a big conventional truck with 450bhp■■?, now we can all understand that, over here in Blighty, but when you say it pulls ■■,000lbs :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: what is that in English money■■? 20 tons, 22 tons■■?
For the record, i got a 14 litre V8 Scania that puts out 530bhp, that can run at its maximum gross weight in G.B at 40 TONS, (which maybe 10,000lbs or 55,000lbs or 120,000lbs, i really got NO idea)and hardly bat an eyelid at a hill
To put it another way, when the WWF wrestling comes on, from America, when they say here comes so and so and he weighs 200lbs, what we want to know is… how many stone is that■■? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :smiley: :laughing: :wink: :wink:
Tons and Stone please…NOT pounds
Come on Cliff and Plastic bag and Bully, being British you should appreciate what im saying here, or am i just a numbnuts driver?
Right, im going to have a ■■■ and lay the table!!!

Or is it just me :blush: :blush: :blush: :wink:

Bloody foreigners :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

kindle530:
Bloody Yanks :angry: :angry: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :smiley: :wink: whenever we read about Yankee motors and their big rigs pulling their big (bigger and better) loads around… even in the british magazines , they say "this big "ol ■■■■■■■ 450 pulls a load of ■■,000 lbs :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: what the hell is that in TONS■■? We arent interested in pounds uncle sam( or the british magazines)
So youve got a big conventional truck with 450bhp■■?, now we can all understand that, over here in Blighty, but when you say it pulls ■■,000lbs :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: what is that in English money■■? 20 tons, 22 tons■■?
For the record, i got a 14 litre V8 Scania that puts out 530bhp, that can run at its maximum gross weight in G.B at 40 TONS, (which maybe 10,000lbs or 55,000lbs or 120,000lbs, i really got NO idea)and hardly bat an eyelid at a hill
To put it another way, when the WWF wrestling comes on, from America, when they say here comes so and so and he weighs 200lbs, what we want to know is… how many stone is that■■? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :smiley: :laughing: :wink: :wink:
Tons and Stone please…NOT pounds
Come on Cliff and Plastic bag and Bully, being British you should appreciate what im saying here, or am i just a numbnuts driver?
Right, im going to have a ■■■ and lay the table!!!

Or is it just me :blush: :blush: :blush: :wink:

Bloody foreigners :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

It’s easy just half it ex. 40,000lbs = 20 tons, 50,000lbs = 25 tons 100,000 tons =50 tons.
Also there are 14lbs in a stone…so if some guy weighs 140lbs then that makes him 10 stone.

Hope that helps.

Bully

is it still common practice to unload yerself over there

Bully:
[Also there are 14lbs in a stone…so if some guy weighs 140lbs then that makes him 10 stone.

Or (10 x 14) / 2.2 = 63.63kgs :laughing: :laughing:

Salut, David.

Carl:
is it still common practice to unload yerself over there

Depends on the company, and the drop. Most US carriers advertise 90% no-touch freight. Some don’t. You work it out.
But yes, sometimes they do have to get their hands dirty, especially if you can’t afford the lumpers.

Kindle 530. figure 2,000 pounds to the ton. gross weight 80.000 lbs (40 ton) deduct weight of Truck and Trailer say approx 35.000 pounds. you can haul legally 45.000.lbs thats the normal rule of thumb.really depends on your eqpt. Caterpiller puts out a 650 hp 6 inline Diesel. I used to drive a 550 cat. then I bought a 600 cat for a short while then retired. the two big Engines over here are ■■■■■■■ and Caterpiller. they also used to have another big one “Allis Chalmers” they called “Big Al” but they died out around 1972. they tried to convert a gas Engine into a Diesel, but the cranks would not stand up. as you know a gas engine is a “Ignition compression” and a Diesel is a “Compression ignition” too much strain on the cranks. but when they did run they were up there with the big boy’s. John T.

hey Scouse. is Dubuque pack still in business? I used to haul swinging meat out of there back in the late 60’s. and Swift packing in Harlan Iowa. the latter used to have a nice little coffee shop run buy the Company.that was my first tast of Butter milk Pancakes I remember it was so cold one year.( we had to wash out our Trailers if we had hauled Oranges, prior to loading meat because of the smell) that the water from the hose pipes would freez before it hit the flooring. so we would have to go and buy big cans of coffee and throw on the floor. to hide the Orange smell. oh the wonderfull life of a Garbage Hauler. John T.

Hi John.

The Dubuque Pack closed down 4-5 years ago. The building is still there, for the time being though.

The “Mighty Wallyworld” is trying to buy it and turn it into our 2nd Supercenter, but, are coming against the locals + enormous waste removal costs.

Jim.

Kindle

16oz’s = 1lb
14 lb = 1 stone
?stone = 1 cwt (hundred weight)
20 cwt = 1 ton

1000 grammes = 1 kg (kilogramme)
1000kg = 1 tonne

2.2lb = 1 kilo

So 1 tonne = 2,200 lbs

or

40,000kg = 88,000lbs
44,000kg = 96,800lbs

For the Americans the two above weights are the weight limits for UK based vehilcles

40,000kg for a combination (unit & trailer) with 5 axles
44,000kg for a combination with 6 axles (which is what I own)

Yeah, try to explain to a Yank what a CWT is or the weight in STONES.
I have a lot of fun pulling their chains…
Anybody remember the old forms of capacity…a la avoirdupois…as in pecks, bushels, chains, furlongs…
We had to learn all that stuff
Like how many sq yards in an acre■■?
Boy, those were the days.

2000lbs is a short ton .don’t know why they have short tons but it makes the math easier than using 2200lbs