a Little advice please

Hi folks just need a little help with drivers hours at the moment i do 5 X12 hrs but i’ve been asked if i would like to work a half day for example 7 till 1 on my rest day now being that i work around 60 hrs a week how does this stand as regards my 45hrs rest i need will i be able to do this every week or would it have to be a case of say 1 and 1/2 days rest 1 week then 2days rest next week or would i have to add my half day on the back of another rest period. i think thats right i’m so confused with it :confused:

needs to be asked on the ‘SAFETY, LAW AND WORKING TIME DIRECTIVE FORUM (INTERACTIVE)’ forum :slight_smile:

Geordieboy64:
Hi folks just need a little help with drivers hours at the moment i do 5 X12 hrs but i’ve been asked if i would like to work a half day for example 7 till 1 on my rest day now being that i work around 60 hrs a week how does this stand as regards my 45hrs rest i need will i be able to do this every week or would it have to be a case of say 1 and 1/2 days rest 1 week then 2days rest next week or would i have to add my half day on the back of another rest period. i think thats right i’m so confused with it :confused:

Without knowing the normal hours you work it’s not really possible to give an exact answer, if you could say what times you normally start/stop work it would be easier to say how the extra hours will affect you’re weekly rest.

Basically you need to take a 45 hour weekly rest, any time less than 45 hours will need to be paid back by the end of the third week following the week in which you reduced the weekly rest.

The payback can be added onto any rest period of 9 hours or more.

If 07:00 is your usual starting time and you want to finish at 13:00 on the sixth day, that would be reducing the rest by only 3 hours so depending on your weekday finish times it’s possible that you could do it every week by slightly adjusting the hours.

But as I said without knowing what times you start work and finish work it’s difficult to say precisely.

hi i generally start at 6.45 and finish say 6ish

You would come up 2.25 hours short on your weekly rest, 13:00 - 06:45 with a full day in between is 42.75 hours. This means you could only do it every 2nd week. You will have to pay back the 2 hour 15 minute reduction but any of your normal daily rests takes care of that as they are around 12.75 hours and 2.25 hours from that still leaves you above the 9 hour daily rest minimum.

edit: I see it’s already been answered :laughing:

Coffeeholic:
You would come up 2.25 hours short on your weekly rest, 13:00 - 06:45 with a full day in between is 42.75 hours. This means you could only do it every 2nd week. You will have to pay back the 2 hour 15 minute reduction but any of your normal daily rests takes care of that as they are around 12.75 hours and 2.25 hours from that still leaves you above the 9 hour daily rest minimum.

I think that should be 3.25 hours but it doesn’t make any difference to the way things work out as long as a daily rest is at least 12.25 hours :wink: