A (hopefully) easy tacho question

i work a regular 4 on, 4 off shift pattern, starting at 9am and carrying on til i run out of either work or time. the normal way it works is 3x15hr shifts and one 12, stopping out on my first 3 nights. had an arguement last night with the boss, as he wanted me to go further than i had comfortable time to do (satnav said 2hr30 with 2hr41 driving time left) as i would have to be able to find somewhere to park up afterwards. he said it wasn’t a problem, as i could always take a 45 and then use the 10th hour to find somewhere to park up. i had already done 2 10hr drives on my first 2 shifts (weds/thurs) and a lazy day friday with only 6 hours driving. he was adamant that due to my shift pattern i am allowed to drive 10 hours 3 times per week. i asked him to email it to me, so i had it in writing from the company and then i would do it, as i am 99% certain he is talking from his arris

i’ve read and re-read the rules, and i’m sure that i’m allowed to do 10hr daily drive twice per calendar week (i.e. 0000 monday to 2359 sunday) so i could in theory do 4 in a row if my shift pattern was saturday to tuesday, as 2 would be in one week and 2 in the next. but if my shift was wednesday to saturday as it was this week, then 2x10hr drives and 2x9hr drives.

i think he’s getting extended driving and reduced daily rest mixed up

please can someone confirm this either way? ta!

You are right, your boss is both wrong and an arse

waynedl:
You are right, your boss is both wrong and an arse

+1

Nate:
he is talking from his arris

i’ve read and re-read the rules, and i’m sure that i’m allowed to do 10hr daily drive twice per calendar week (i.e. 0000 monday to 2359 sunday) so i could in theory do 4 in a row if my shift pattern was saturday to tuesday, as 2 would be in one week and 2 in the next. but if my shift was wednesday to saturday as it was this week, then 2x10hr drives and 2x9hr drives.

Spot on.

See: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89383

As the previous three posters have said you’re right and your boss who is wrong.

Quotes from (EC) 561/2006

Article 4

(i) ‘a week’ means the period of time between 00.00 on
Monday and 24.00 on Sunday;

Article 6

1. The daily driving time shall not exceed nine hours.
    However, the daily driving time may be extended to at most
    10 hours not more than twice during the week.

Here’s a gift for your boss :wink:

Explain to boss that there are two seperate sets of rules

One for the the fixed week and one for between weekly rests

Once boss gets that bit they will understand better

thanks guys :smiley:

leading on from this, am i able to do 4x15 hour working days, assuming i’m not out on my last night so have 4 days off straight after, or would i need to do a 13 hour day on at least one of them?

Nate:
thanks guys :smiley:

leading on from this, am i able to do 4x15 hour working days, assuming i’m not out on my last night so have 4 days off straight after, or would i need to do a 13 hour day on at least one of them?

You can legally only have 3 reduced daily rest periods between weekly rest periods so the answer is that you would need to do at-least 1 spread-over of no more than 13 hours in a 4 shift pattern.
You could do 4 x 15 hour spread-overs if one of the shifts included a split daily rest period, as you probably know you would need to have a rest period of at-least 3 consecutive hours during the shift to take advantage of this though.

The last shift of the working week has the same daily rest requirement as the other shifts, ie a daily rest period of 11/9 hours within the 24 hour period from the start of the shift.

thanks dude :slight_smile: